• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What did your driving test involve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattA7

I often hear people say that the driving test was a lot easier to pass years ago than it is today. but is that actually true. Was the driving test in the 1960s/70s different to today’s driving test?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
There was no separate written test, I gather that some people find this hard these days, although I'd have been fine with it (1978 or so). Instead the examiner asked a few questions from a book about signs etc. I failed my first test so I wouldn't automatically say it was easy, but I then took a couple of lessons from a professional teacher which helped me pass on the second attempt. The driving part I can't compare because I don't know what happens today, but essentially for me involved driving around Macclesfield which necessarily included some hill starts, a reversing exercise and an emergency stop. Didn't take all that long, 30 minutes I guess.

thejuggler

My dad was an instructor for 25 years. He actually taught me to drive before it was his job. It was easier when he started than when he finished about 10 years ago.

There is far more traffic now, there is far more signage, cameras, bus lanes etc. Cars are also more complicated.

You now need to do a thoery test and hazard perception, lift the bonnet and know what is under there, use a satnav and drive quickly i.e. more than 50mph where possible and drive for longer.

I did none of those. My test was 20 minutes drive around a housing estate. We did a few highway code questions, 5 minutes drive, an emergncy stop whilst driving up a hill, reverse around a corner, turn in the road and I was told I was more than capable so we may as well head back!

DelW

Established Member
I took mine in 1970, and I think 30 minutes is about right. It was a drive around a suburban area with the examiner, and included three mandatory manoeuvres: a three-point turn, reversing round a corner, and an emergency stop. There were a few oral questions on the highway code and traffic signs, which were just being changed to the current designs.

westv

Established Member
I took mine in 1970, and I think 30 minutes is about right. It was a drive around a suburban area with the examiner, and included three mandatory manoeuvres: a three-point turn, reversing round a corner, and an emergency stop. There were a few oral questions on the highway code and traffic signs, which were just being changed to the current designs.

Mine was 1983 or so but was the same as that.

Three point turn? You mean "a turn in the road using forward and reverse gears." :D

Trackman

Established Member
Mine was 1983 or so but was the same as that.

Three point turn? You mean "a turn in the road using forward and reverse gears." :D

Mine was in the early 80's too.
He asked me to read a numberplate and I couldn't so he picked one relatively close.
I passed.
I told my instructor and showed him the car and distance, he advised me to get my eyes tested.
I did, and needed glasses!

RichT54

I took my motorcycle test in 1971. This involved riding round some local roads in Margate several times while the examiner scurried to key points with his clipboard. Part of the route went past the Fire Station and each time I went by the crew members that were out cleaning the fire engine gave a noisy cheer! I guess they were very used to seeing learner riders taking their test. When he was satisfied, the examiner flagged me down and told me to ride along slowing, just keeping up with him as he walked along the pavement, which I found rather tricky as the tickover on my BSA Bantam was rather erratic. Finally he asked me several questions from the highway code, including identifying some road signs and markings. I was greatly relieved when he told me I had passed.

My car driving test was in Ashford (Surrey) in 1976. I remember the only place you could do a hill start was on a bridge over the railway. My instructor had been coaching me to do more and more rapid emergency stops so I was on a bit of a hair-trigger by the time it came to the test, where I actually did a bit of a lock-up. Fortunately it didn't prevent me passing.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Summer 1974. You could book a short notice test by asking the chap with the diary at the regional office in Newcastle city centre, I needed 3 attempts, each one was about a 30 min drive round the Heaton and High Heaton areas of Newcastle. Two were the exact same route. Don’t remember much of a hill start, it was all pretty flat.

...however I did think the first two together should have been awarded an aggregate pass... :D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I passed in 1991, first time (after I’d had a couple of practice tests just to get my eye in ;)).
It was definitely easier then - no parallel parking or theory test and much quieter roads compared to now.
I had the same examiner all three times and my heart sank when he came out the third time.
He’d probably had enough of seeing me by then also...
A few years after I passed my test they made changes to the license, so I passed early enough to still be able to drive a 7.5 ton truck amongst other things and I’ve made plenty of use of that ability over the years.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I passed mine in 1992 and didn't have to do the theory test. I had to do two out of three manoeuvres which were turn in the road, parallel parking and reversing into a junction (I had to do the first two). There was an emergency stop, which I was well prepared for as I noticed the examiner doing extra checks in his mirror, and at the end of the driving part I was taken through a few road signs and asked to describe what I'd do if I arrived at the scene of an accident. My test route involved a little bit of town driving, and there was a country section too, which actually helped me to relax a bit before we headed back to the test centre.

Not really being up-to-date on what the test involves these days, I can't really say if it's any easier, but I'd agree with @Cowley that there was far less traffic around then (and far fewer idiots in SUVs!)

I passed 1980 obviously you have the theory test now which you didn't then, but other than that I don't think it was that much easier. I was not happy failing the first time mainly because I had a Scottish examiner even though I was in Yorkshire and couldn't understand a word he said and I can usually understand most Scots reasonably well. I had to constantly ask him to repeat his instructions and even then I still didn't understand him most of the time. I passed second time with an examiner I understood. I remember my Grandad's driving could be described as entertaining I believe he got a licence before you even had to pass a test, and having recently switched to an automatic I keep asking myself why I didn't do it years ago its just such much easier than a manual, manual is pre historic really but I guess it will finally be on the way out with electric cars.

One of my relatives is a instructor he thinks the approach to the lesson and teaching style they have to take is complete bull****.

Last edited:

AndyPJG

The trouble today is that people are taught how to pass the test, not taught how to drive. There's a big difference!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The trouble today is that people are taught how to pass the test, not taught how to drive. There's a big difference!
Absolutely. The first thing my driving instructor said to me after I'd passed was "now you'll learn how to drive".

AndyPJG

Took my test in June 1971 (as provisional licence was about to expire). About 40 mins around Weybridge, usual emergency stop, turn round in road, reverse around corner, hill start (hand signals too!); no traffic lights in Weybridge then, just 2 zebra crossings. Examiner was very formal of course, but after passing me was very chatty about my dad's Morris Oxford Series III that I'd driven.

DelW

Established Member
Ee, we called a spade a spade in those days!

Actually, I'm sure you're right, but I'd still call it a three point turn today, though I've no idea when I last did one, it's a long time ago.

Probably about as long ago as when I last used hand signals, which also had to be demonstrated on my test. I wonder when they were dropped?

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
For clarification, the current (practical) driving test involves:

Roughly 40 minutes from the signing of the marking sheet by the candidate to the switching off of the engine, the vast majority of which is spent driving (obviously).

There are 5 parts to the modern test:

1 - An eyesight test, candidates are required to read a number plate from at least 20m away, if you fail this three times then the test is terminated and you won't be allowed to drive.

2 - 'Show me/tell me' questions, candidates will be asked 2 vehicle safety questions during the test, a 'tell me' question (for example, 'can you tell me how you would check the braking system is working before a journey?' or 'can you tell me how you would fill up the oil' (you would have to open the bonnet and point to the correct component), this is asked at the start of the test before you leave the test centre. As well as this, a 'show me' questions is asked (for example, 'can you show me how you would operate the horn/window/wipers/demisters') and this is asked whilst driving.

3 - General driving ability, candidates will be assessed on whether they can drive safely in various road and traffic conditions (urban, rural, dual carriageway, streets etc.) and will also be assessed on whether they can stop and pull away the vehicle safely. This part of the test includes being asked to pull over and restart the vehicle multiple times, including at least one example of:

• normal stops at the side of the road
  • pulling out from behind a parked vehicle
  • a hill start
(taken from DVSA Website https://www.gov.uk/driving-test/what-happens-during-test)

Candidates may also be asked to perform an emergency stop (happens 1 in every 3 tests).

4 - Reversing ability, candidates will be asked to perform one of three possible maneuvers, either to drive into a parking bay and reverse out (or reverse in and drive out), to perform a parallel park or to reverse along the right hand side of the road for 2 car lengths. These are equally split and randomly chosen on each test and, whilst fairness is supposed to be achieved in every test, I do think some are easier than others!

5 - Independent driving, candidates will have to demonstrate they can follow directions from either a satnav (4/5 tests) or road signs (1/5 tests) and they will be asked to do this for roughly half the test (20 minutes). You do not get penalised for going the wrong route, but you do get penalised for driving dangerously to correct mistakes or in taking that wrong route.

Normally, a test would be carried through the whole way without discussion of the result, and this would be revealed by the examiner at the end. During coronavirus, however, if a candidate fails they are instructed to drive back to the test centre immediately and the test is finished early. Whether or not this is permanent I'm not completely sure.

What were the past requirements for driving tests and were they of similar length/difficulty?

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
On one of my earlier tests in Hull, there was a notorious examiner who had me doing hand signals for several minutes. I got so flummoxed, I ended up with one hand on the gearstick and the other out of the window.

On another, the driving school car was so quiet that I was convinced it had stalled when it hadn't. So I kept trying to restart it. This just caused it to make funny noises. When I asked the examiner "What do I do now?" he said "I think you'll find, Mr Old Yard Dog, that your engine is still running".

Hull was very short of hills, so all the learners ended up using the same railway bridge west of Paragon station to practice hill starts.

Eventually I gave up on Hull and took my fourth test in Hessle, finally passing. I left the East Riding for good the next day and my father let me drive back to the West Riding on the old A63.

thejuggler

Absolutely. The first thing my driving instructor said to me after I'd passed was "now you'll learn how to drive".

Indeed. As soon as my L plates were off aftervthe test we drove home via 20 miles of the M1!

SteveM70

Established Member
I learned to drive with a mate of my dad’s who’d become a driving instructor after retiring as a college lecturer because he found it too stressful. Hmmmmmm.

Because my parents have never owned a car, all my learning was “paid for” and as a result I took my first test when in hindsight I probably wasn’t quite ready. This was 1988, no theory test and half an hour or so pootling round the rough housing estates. I failed, probably deservedly although my 18 year old pride didn’t allow me to admit it at the time

Retook my test a few months later in Loughborough and passed - helped in part by us being stopped at a box junction for about 15 minutes as a low loader had broken down crossing in front of us. I can remember discussing with the tester whether the low loader driver was breaking the Highway Code, because he was spanning a box junction but none of his wheels were actually in it. We decided he was, but he was built like a brick privy so we’d no intention of telling him :)

And then i bought my first car, which was the first time I’d ever driven a car without the dual controls fitted. It didn’t occur to me till I went to the bloke who was selling it’s house and he chucked me the keys and said I could reverse it down his drive with about 6 inches clearance either side

Big Tim

In 1996 at the age of 16, I had to pass a "CBT" to ride a 50cc moped on the road (on "L" plates). This was pretty much a "guaranteed pass" - and anyone who didn't make the grade was invited back for further training. I had no such problems, and this certificate was valid for me to take a full motorcycle test in March 1997. However, in July 1996, the "theory test" was introduced, and I had to go to an office building in Clifford Street (central York, opposite the old Fire Station) - it was pretty much all multiple choice, and at that time it was done by physically marking a paper, rather than on computer (had to wait about ten days for the confirmation I had passed. I think it was 35 questions, and around 31 had to be correct to pass).

My motorcycle test was about forty minutes, with the examiner following (apparently known then as a "pursuit test"). We did a bit of suburban riding, then some A-Roads around the York area, getting up to the national speed limit. Then an emergency stop (the examiner sent me "round the block" - then stepped out with a raised hand). Despite having already done the theory test, a couple of token "Highway Code" questions were asked at the conclusion of the practical test. Passed first time, and didn't bother with a car test until 2003, when my employer insisted I acquired a car licence, and they put me through the test.

The car test was around 45 minutes, and that entailed some inner-city driving, and a short burst on the A64. Emergency Stop was performed - although I believe this wasn't mandatory at this time, and was just up to the examiner whether or not they asked this of the student. At this time, you had to do two "technical" aspects, of which four had been taught. I was asked to "bay park" - i.e. reverse into a parking bay in the test centre car park, and do the "turn in the road" in a narrow side street. The other two were to reverse around a corner into a side street, and parallel parking. There was no "Hazard Perception" test, nor "Highway Code" questions, but I seem to remember being asked a couple of basic questions on car maintenance (i.e. "how do you check your oil level" etc). No issues again on the test, so I returned to work, and was immediately sent out in a lwb Transit van with a consignment of deliveries!

Last edited:

For clarification, the current (practical) driving test involves:

Roughly 40 minutes from the signing of the marking sheet by the candidate to the switching off of the engine, the vast majority of which is spent driving (obviously).

There are 5 parts to the modern test:

1 - An eyesight test, candidates are required to read a number plate from at least 20m away, if you fail this three times then the test is terminated and you won't be allowed to drive.

2 - 'Show me/tell me' questions, candidates will be asked 2 vehicle safety questions during the test, a 'tell me' question (for example, 'can you tell me how you would check the braking system is working before a journey?' or 'can you tell me how you would fill up the oil' (you would have to open the bonnet and point to the correct component), this is asked at the start of the test before you leave the test centre. As well as this, a 'show me' questions is asked (for example, 'can you show me how you would operate the horn/window/wipers/demisters') and this is asked whilst driving.

3 - General driving ability, candidates will be assessed on whether they can drive safely in various road and traffic conditions (urban, rural, dual carriageway, streets etc.) and will also be assessed on whether they can stop and pull away the vehicle safely. This part of the test includes being asked to pull over and restart the vehicle multiple times, including at least one example of:

(taken from DVSA Website https://www.gov.uk/driving-test/what-happens-during-test)

Candidates may also be asked to perform an emergency stop (happens 1 in every 3 tests).

4 - Reversing ability, candidates will be asked to perform one of three possible maneuvers, either to drive into a parking bay and reverse out (or reverse in and drive out), to perform a parallel park or to reverse along the right hand side of the road for 2 car lengths. These are equally split and randomly chosen on each test and, whilst fairness is supposed to be achieved in every test, I do think some are easier than others!

5 - Independent driving, candidates will have to demonstrate they can follow directions from either a satnav (4/5 tests) or road signs (1/5 tests) and they will be asked to do this for roughly half the test (20 minutes). You do not get penalised for going the wrong route, but you do get penalised for driving dangerously to correct mistakes or in taking that wrong route.

Normally, a test would be carried through the whole way without discussion of the result, and this would be revealed by the examiner at the end. During coronavirus, however, if a candidate fails they are instructed to drive back to the test centre immediately and the test is finished early. Whether or not this is permanent I'm not completely sure.

What were the past requirements for driving tests and were they of similar length/difficulty?
Well from what I remember and 1980 is long time ago so I may be wrong on some bits.

I think test was possibly slightly shorter, 1. still applied, 2. not really, 3. similar I recall doing a hill start and a 3 point turn I think along with an emergency stop.

4. I only recall having to reverse around a corner, I don't think parking bay applied.

5. Not really no satnav around then anyway.

Finally answer a few questions related to the highway code instead of the theory test.

Crossover

Established Member
I passed mine in 2006 on my first attempt (no practice runs ;)) around 5 months after I started learning and also passed theory first time (100% on the theory, as I recall...practice tests are a wonderful thing, but also reinforces a previous poster that mentions learning to pass the test more than learning to drive)

I recall mine being short - I think it was meant to be around 35-40 minutes but from memory it was around 30 minutes. I was the last one on a Friday afternoon, which may have just been fortuitous!

It started with reading a number plate (was given a tip by someone on how to make that a bit more straightforward, which I may or may not have used ;)), I probably had some questions about how to check things on the car, but I really can't remember and then onto driving. I had the two manourveres - had a reverse round a corner (which I didn't do so well with and was expecting to fail as a result!) and a parallel park from what I recall (would have preferred a turn in the road, they're easier!).

At the time we didn't have to navigate ourselves but was expected to read the road. One crossroads I traversed was an unusual one where the examiner said nothing (meaning go straight on) but the left lane was for left turn only and the right for straight on/right turn. I am pretty sure that particular crossroad was included because of this irregularity to be honest, but knowing the road I didn't actually have to read the signs to know what to do!

PeterC

Established Member
You missed reading a number plate otherwise just what I remember from 1969.

alxndr

Established Member
I took mine only 4 years ago, but before all the nonsense about sat navs came in.

I can't really remember much of it, other than thinking I'd hesitated a little too long at the very first roundabout and being convinced I'd failed. I subsequently didn't stress about the rest of it, which is probably why I passed! No idea which manoeuvre I was asked to do, but I do remember being nervous when the examiner asked me to pull into a bay when we got back to the test centre as I'd only ever reversed into one, never driven in.

There was a section where they'd give you a list of about 5 directions ("take the first right, then third exit at the roundabout etc") to follow. I believe that's the bit that's been replaced by the sat nav now. It was a waste of time in my test though, as the examiner forgot that I was supposed to be remembering where to go and kept telling me at each turning. I think he was distracted by the discovery his daughter works at my depot.

I was so amazed that my driving was good enough to be considered a pass that, combined with some other factors, I was sorely tempted to relinquish my licence as I didn't think I deserved it. Took me a couple of years and being forced into a van and made to drive to get over it.

I did make a total hash of the theory test though and ended up taking it three times. First I failed on the hazard perception by spending too much time trying to guess the year it was filmed from petrol station prices, the second I let expire, and the third was considerably easier on the hazard perception as the videos had changed to CGI and were very obvious.

ajs

Passed my test 2nd time about 1973.First test last failed l did not keep up with traffic in front. I was doing 30mph and cars ahead were pulling away from me.If I had kept up with traffic in front, expect they would have failed me for speeding. The test was a 10 /15 drive around town but could not do a hill start as there were no hills.When it came to the emergency stop, instructor said at start of test, that he would hit the dashboard with his clip board when he wanted me to stop. There were a few highway code questions and that was it. I took the test in a Triumph Herald and could steer the car with my knees but did not do that on the test!

When l took the test for the second time, the instructor had upgraded to a Triump Toledo, which l enjoyed driving. Come the second test, l had been told of one of the examiners, who was nick named Cross Roads Charlie. The test was around the back streets where there were plenty of crossroad junctions. With him you really had to exaggerate your looking left and right across the junction, even when you had right of way.

After passing the test it was back to work for lunch, where the special dish of the day, was rump steak, chips and peas for 20p! That was double the normal cost of a main dish but l pushed the boat out to celebrate!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Passed my test 2nd time about 1973.First test last failed l did not keep up with traffic in front. I was doing 30mph and cars ahead were pulling away from me.If I had kept up with traffic in front, expect they would have failed me for speeding. The test was a 10 /15 drive around town but could not do a hill start as there were no hills.When it came to the emergency stop, instructor said at start of test, that he would hit the dashboard with his clip board when he wanted me to stop. There were a few highway code questions and that was it. I took the test in a Triumph Herald and could steer the car with my knees but did not do that on the test!

When l took the test for the second time, the instructor had upgraded to a Triump Toledo, which l enjoyed driving. Come the second test, l had been told of one of the examiners, who was nick named Cross Roads Charlie. The test was around the back streets where there were plenty of crossroad junctions. With him you really had to exaggerate your looking left and right across the junction, even when you had right of way.

After passing the test it was back to work for lunch, where the special dish of the day, was rump steak, chips and peas for 20p! That was double the normal cost of a main dish but l pushed the boat out to celebrate!
Your memories reminded me of a couple of things.
The first couple of tests I did I was failed for ‘lack of observation’ both times. I chatted to a friend of mine for a bit of advice and he said “Oh don’t worry about that, if they don’t think you’re ready it’s the easiest thing to fail you for... Just keep looking in your mirror every two seconds and drive as slowly as you can to string the test out. You’ll be fine!”
Well I followed his advice during the test and was turning my head more often than a Meerkat on heat.
God knows what I was looking at because most of the time there were no other cars around. :lol:

On this test he decided to take me out of town which he hadn’t done on the previous two occasions and following my friends advice I dawdled along the A road (which is very near where I live now), and eventually drove up the slope to the test centre where he said “I’m pleased to inform you that you’ve passed Mr Cowley. But. If a vehicle had come up behind you on the A road then I would have failed you for driving too slowly and causing a hazard...”

The next day I was driving vans around the countryside for the haulage firm I worked for.
I didn’t have a clue what I was doing looking back at it now...

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Mine was in the late 80s, in Weybridge. Can’t remember much about it, other than passing first time (obviously ;))

The one thing I do remember is that when we got back to the test centre we then had the ‘theory’ part of the test! Which consisted a couple of questions (one was about braking distance from 50mph, I think), and then he produced a flip-book that contained pictures of various road signs. He flicked through them at random, and asked me to identify about half a dozen. The thing was, he spent the whole of this time looking out of the window at a particularly shapely young lady, and had no idea what signs he was showing me. I could have said anything!

Western Sunset

Established Member
Took mine in Derby. My dad taught me; never had any lessons.
Whilst I was in the waiting room I overheard an instructor remind his candidate not to go too slow along a particular dual-carriageway; advice I used later as my test was down that road too. I remember my main concern was that the examiner might not let me take the test as my car had a broken rear light taped up with, er tape.
Fortunately, the test was around the area of Derby where I lived. A couple of questions and congratulations!
After the test, I asked why I'd not done a reverse park (or some such manoeuvre). The examiner said he could see I was able to control the vehicle, so didn't need to see me do that.

JohnMcL7

I saw my driving test on Christmas Eve 1997 and that was around the time I think the theory test came in. I didn't think the theory test was that difficult as most questions should be items drivers will know anyway and just had to memorise some of the items such as the different stopping distances, tram signs and the colour of the cat's eyes on the different lanes on motorways. The practical test involved checking eyesight then a parallel park, three point turn, reverse around a corner and an emergency stop. The emergency stop was the one that worried me the most because I'd locked the wheels a couple of weeks before in greasy conditions and I'd struggled to get the confidence to hit the brakes hard enough after that.

I sat my motorbike test late 2000s just before they changed it to the more complex two part test with the manuevers in the test centre area, that one definitely looked a lot tougher.

Status
Not open for further replies.