What do 'honoured' and 'privileged' mean in these contexts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JDi, 12 Oct 2017.

1. JDi

JDi Member

I was just reading through some of my old school stuff and found an old reference from a school teacher.

Within it, it said: 'I had the privilege of being XXXXXX's teacher...'.

I am really sorry if this is an obvious question but I in particular struggle with interpreting these things, but, what does 'privilege' mean in this context? Is this a nice thing to put in a reference?

Also, I recently confided in an old friend about something. He got back saying 'Firstly I am honoured that you felt you could confide in me and I am glad you did' - In this context, what does 'honoured' mean? More generally, what does this statement mean as a whole in this context?

2. Bevan Price

Bevan Price Established Member

The teacher probably thought that you were a good pupil, well-behaved, and probably a good performer in the subject he was trying to teach.

3. GusB

GusB Member

As to the second statement, it just means that the person that you confided in is happy that you felt able to trust them enough to discuss what was on your mind.

4. EM2

EM2 Established Member

They're both good comments.

Your teacher is saying that they are glad that it was them that had the opportunity to teach you. Whether that's because they thought you had a good grasp of the subject, or because you didn't cause them any trouble, I can't say.

As for your friend, he's saying that of all the people you could have chosen to speak to, he is proud that you felt that he was someone that would understand your issue and give you good advice.

5. roversfan2001

roversfan2001 Member

'honoured' in that context means that he is proud that you felt you could trust him and that he could advise you.

6. Groningen

Groningen Established Member

That her or his success must also be credited to this teacher. That is what the teacher believes.

7. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

That's a far more cynical interpretation... not necessarily an incorrect one!