• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What do think about the Christmas closedown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ole man

Companies all over the world rely on the internet to send emails, etc, etc, the internet now has become as important to most people as Oxygen sadly.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
To a fair degree heating isn't vital either except in the colder parts of the UK. Like electricity people had to live without central heating in the not too distant past (I imagine some of the elder members on here have lived through such a time!)

The radio is essential as it provides an emergency means of broadcasting.

Howardh

Established Member
And you will be doing what on Christmas Day exactly ?

Anything to avoid ruddy C*******s. <( If the trains were running, I'd be off at 7am for a hard days rambling/drinking (not necessarily in that order) in the Lakes or the Peaks. And happy to pay double for the privilege.

Zoe

Established Member
Companies all over the world rely on the internet to send emails, etc, etc, the internet now has become as important to most people as Oxygen sadly.
It is possible to live without the internet though, the argument is people can live without public transport for a day so I'm sure people can find a way of getting through the day without the internet.

marks87

Established Member
It is possible to live without the internet though, the argument is people can live without public transport for a day so I'm sure people can find a way of getting through the day without the internet.
You're comparing apples with oranges.

Or, more specifically, an apple that needs a person to look after it, and an orange that doesn't.

Zoe

Established Member
You're comparing apples with oranges.

Or, more specifically, an apple that needs a person to look after it, and an orange that doesn't.
If there was a failure on Christmas Day, you'd expect your ISP to fix it wouldn't you?

marks87

Established Member
If there was a failure on Christmas Day, you'd expect your ISP to fix it wouldn't you?
No, and I've been there and done that.

However, if the failure was in the BT network and the phones were gone as well, that's a different story.

Markdvdman

there is no LAW that states you cannot have a sale before Boxing Day! tescos start christmas sales before christmas nowadays!

I work for Buyology; our shops close Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Day and Easter Sunday.

I get calls from the shops every weekend and bank holiday throughout the year other than the above.

I am salaried - and simple as I am thankful for a job even if I get a hell of a weekend on remote support.

As for rail services at Christmas, it is simply down to revenue really. Christmas Day - even though some religions etc do not care for it, is never going to be viable.

Boxing Day though can be - Ospreys v Scarlets for one!!! Love that! Footy and shopping also.

Tesco opens Boxing Day in Merthyr now.

They create the issue, do they really NEED to open then?

Would I travel on rail on public transport on Christmas/Boxing Day? the answer is I do not know as I cannot! Wales is useless on Boxing Day for public transport simple as!

Zoe

Established Member
there is no LAW that states you cannot have a sale before Boxing Day! tescos start christmas sales before christmas nowadays!
There is however a law that prevents them from opening on Christmas Day and that is what I was referring to. I was not saing that they couldn't start their sale before Christmas Day, only that they couldn't open on Christmas Day so the sale couldn't start on that day.

Last edited:

Markdvdman

There is however a law that prevents them from opening on Christmas Day and that is what I was referring to. I was not saing that they couldn't start their sale before Christmas Day, only that they couldn't open on Christmas Day so the sale couldn't start on that day.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
closed

If a shop is small enough, they can do what they like.

Zoe

Established Member
If a shop is small enough, they can do what they like.
Indeed and you will see earler in the thread when I talked about this that I was referring to large stores. It used to be the case that they were only banned from opening when Christmas Day was on a Sunday but now they are banned from opening on Christmas Day regardless of it is is a Sunday or not.

Markdvdman

Indeed and you will see earler in the thread when I talked about this that I was referring to large stores. It used to be the case that they were only banned from opening when Christmas Day was on a Sunday but now they are banned from opening on Christmas Day regardless of it is is a Sunday or not.

Yes but you were not specific enough and over generalised.

Stores below a certain size can open 365 days a year. Llanelli - Station road on Christmas Day - they are open a usual long day.

I think it is mad but there you go.

In this mad world now, I welcome Christmas to be honest. Essential services have to run of course, but if you work in that field you KNOW the consequences.

What about solar panels? If the electric died, you would still have some to watch rubbish soaps he he.

Me? I do not do soaps, the girlfriend loves them, I DESPISE them!

Oswyntail

Established Member
...... Why do some people feel they can not survive for one/two days without shops/public transport?

.... The attitude in this country has changed.
Exactly! We do not know why people want to travel on 25/26th, and the attitude towards that travel is changing. As the railways are a service industry, to survive they have to evolve to the requirements of their customers. If that means having more trains running on these days, that is what they will have to do. ASLEF, or NR, or the man in the cab will resist, of course, but customer requirements must surely win out.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
This is absolutely hilarious. What planet are some people on?

Why Zoe hasn't addressed yet is whether the enforced electrical rationing will prevent people from charging their electric, driverless cars.

Give me a break. Failing that some popcorn. :lol:

blacknight

Exactly! We do not know why people want to travel on 25/26th, and the attitude towards that travel is changing. As the railways are a service industry, to survive they have to evolve to the requirements of their customers. If that means having more trains running on these days, that is what they will have to do. ASLEF, or NR, or the man in the cab will resist, of course, but customer requirements must surely win out.

Never seen a customer on the railways yet but I have seen plenty of passengers, until Macdonalds gets a franchise it will never be a service industry:-x. What are your plans for 25/12? a day at the office

rmt-driver

What about solar panels? If the electric died, you would still have some to watch rubbish soaps he he.

Me? I do not do soaps, the girlfriend loves them, I DESPISE them!

Me, I love them... particularly Home and Away. My colleagues in the mess room however, are not so keen! :lol:

Oswyntail

Established Member
Never seen a customer on the railways yet but I have seen plenty of passengers, until Macdonalds gets a franchise it will never be a service industry:-x. What are your plans for 25/12? a day at the office
And there, in a nutshell, is the biggest problem facing the railways today.:roll: Of course it's a service industry - it provides services rather than tangible goods. And "customers" is a generic term that includes "passengers", but also freight customers, and anyone else who pays for the services that the railways provide (such as PTEs).
And, on 25/12, I shall be working as normal, perhaps a little busier than most days - but you have no idea about what or where!;)

Class377/5

Established Member
I have to wonder if all this people wanting a railway service on boxing day seem to believe that it should be classed as a normal day with full public transport. In that case why don't we open offices etc so you can work?

The demand is from people who are getting a day off demanding other don't have the same right. Whether that is wrong or not is besides the point. If they want the railways to work then the railways should say fine, open everything as normal and we'll give you a full service.

As for people that don't drive, well I don't drive and never had a problem getting around. Plan what you want to do and you can do alot.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I have to wonder if all this people wanting a railway service on boxing day seem to believe that it should be classed as a normal day with full public transport. In that case why don't we open offices etc so you can work?

I've asked for Boxing Day to be treated like a normal Bank Holiday on the railways, with a pattern of service similar to Sunday (but without peak extras, due to the lack of business market).

After all, Easter Sunday gets this...

SS4

Established Member

The demand is from people who are getting a day off demanding other don't have the same right. Whether that is wrong or not is besides the point. If they want the railways to work then the railways should say fine, open everything as normal and we'll give you a full service.

As for people that don't drive, well I don't drive and never had a problem getting around. Plan what you want to do and you can do alot.

Most offices are closed weekends yet nobody in the right mind would cut weekend services

Class377/5

Established Member
I've asked for Boxing Day to be treated like a normal Bank Holiday on the railways, with a pattern of service similar to Sunday (but without peak extras, due to the lack of business market).

After all, Easter Sunday gets this...

But then staff don't have to work it. TOC's just shut down to keep it simple.

Question is how much would it cost them to open a Sunday service with the extra costs? Would they be allowed to pass this cost on? (not going to mention profits here).

While I think Christmas day should be a shut down day, boxing day however is popular with shoppers. Personally I'd rather have new year off a work over Xmas (which I've done) so there is going to be some staff that will work it but not always enough to run a service, especially the control staff plus add in the fact you'd need signallers in as well and it would need cross industry support and people willing to work.

Most offices are closed weekends yet nobody in the right mind would cut weekend services

But Xmas and boxing day are not weekends. They are extra as well as weekends. Even if they fall on the weekend, you get the bank holidays in the week instead.

tbtc

Veteran Member
But Xmas and boxing day are not weekends. They are extra as well as weekends. Even if they fall on the weekend, you get the bank holidays in the week instead.

The difference is that Good Friday, Easter Monday, Mayday, End of May and End of August bank holidays are not a fixed date, they are chosen to fall on a particular day of the week (hence being different dates in different years).

SS4

Established Member

You implied that public transport should run only if offices are open

Status
Not open for further replies.