• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What do you access the forum on?

What do you use to access RUK

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seacook

Out of interest is there any reason why ipads are separate from tablets and same with ipod and iphone? - they are the same software running the same browser! Merging them could have given you space for more distinct devices (Android/Win Mob)

All iPads are tablets, but not all tablets are iPads.

Since iPads and tablets were shown separately, I assumed the latter meant a non-Apple device. I ticked both because I use an iPad and an Android tablet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCoast

Established Member
Windows PC of various types :)
iPad 3 :)
BlackBerry 8520 :-x

In that order of frequency generally.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Odd that Iphone & Blackberry have a separate option but Android doesn't though.
Yes very odd! Also very surprising that there isn't an option for Linux, and equally surprising that there aren't more Linux users.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Yes very odd! Also very surprising that there isn't an option for Linux, and equally surprising that there aren't more Linux users.

Yes I do see your point Yorkie. I actually forgot about Linux :oops:.The reason I put Ipod and Iphone separately, is because I thought people might access the forum on a phone, in our case the Iphone, and access it on an Ipod which isn't a phone. So basically there is a difference between the two

Nym

Established Member
Can anyone recommend an MP3 player with a capacity above 16GB that isn't an iPod? They seem to be the only large-capacity ones available these days. A few years ago you could buy Creative, iRiver and other devices in shops as well as online.

Your phone, reduce the device count, add in one 32GB Micro SD Card and you're sorted...

telstarbox

Established Member
It's got a 2GB micro SD card fixed to the device with no capability for additional memory!
Also don't like listening to music off my phone, it's a bit chavvy IMO.

chris89

Established Member
Can anyone recommend an MP3 player with a capacity above 16GB that isn't an iPod? They seem to be the only large-capacity ones available these days. A few years ago you could buy Creative, iRiver and other devices in shops as well as online.

Creative still do some

http://uk.store.creative.com/entertainment-devices-mp3-players/zen-x-fi3/948-20866.aspx Supports SD cards up to 32gb

http://uk.store.creative.com/entertainment-devices-mp3-players/zen-style-m300/948-20615.aspx Same for that one

http://uk.store.creative.com/entertainment-devices-mp3-players/zen-style-100/948-19239.aspx This one doesn't support extended memory.

All three have up to 16GB options the first one up to 32gb.

Chris

Bill EWS

What's wrong with the iPod! I Have THE 160 GB Standard Version, not touch screen. I think it's fantastic and have every recording I have ever purchased since back in the 50's and even 78 rpm records far older than that saved to it and hundreds of photographs and the odd video.

The recordings are all in mp3 at 320 kbps and have been WAV cleaned and sound great. I only use the iTunes programme to save folders and files to my iPod as if it were an extenal hard drive by copy and paste from my computer's hard drive and not syncronised to Itune, so that my recordings aren't linked to Itunes. Initially they are synced when settiing up the folders and files on my iPod but I clear the lists on Itunes once that is done.

I don't use Itunes for anything else although I have tuned into a few radio programmes a few times.

SS4

Established Member
What's wrong with the iPod! I Have THE 160 GB Standard Version, not touch screen. I think it's fantastic and have every recording I have ever purchased since back in the 50's and even 78 rpm records far older than that saved to it and hundreds of photographs and the odd video.

The recordings are all in mp3 at 320 kbps and have been WAV cleaned and sound great. I only use the iTunes programme to save folders and files to my iPod as if it were an extenal hard drive by copy and paste from my computer's hard drive and not syncronised to Itune, so that my recordings aren't linked to Itunes. Initially they are synced when settiing up the folders and files on my iPod but I clear the lists on Itunes once that is done.

I don't use Itunes for anything else although I have tuned into a few radio programmes a few times.

Vendor lock-in and lack of support for free formats are the two reasons I don't like the iPod.

On a personal level I cannot support a company that seeks to use tenuous patent litigation to remove its competitors from the market.

edit: probably better to continue the mp3/ipod discussion in a new topic ;)

Last edited:

deltic1989

Established Member
Mostly android phone or windows laptop but i bought a tablet last week so sometimes that now.

MattRobinson

I have a ubuntu (linux)/Windows 7/Windows 8 beta triple-boot laptop (soon to just be ubuntu/windows 7), which I use and tapatalk on my android phone

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Remember guys if you haven't yet put your poll entry in, do so as you have until monday. I think we all generally have an idea what is used most though...

SS4

Established Member
What are you [the OP] planning to do with said data? Or is it simply for your own entertainment? I'm guessing it's not serious because of an iMobileDevice bias in the poll, it seems very weird to skip Android.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Oh no it's not serious. All I want to do is see what is used most (we have a general idea anyway!). Then I will make a post on what is used most to access Railuk, but like I said I think we already know that anyway!
The skipping android bit, I actually forgot about android at the time and it was a silly mistake-sorry

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
I'm fairly certain staff can tell anyway through the info collated in the server etc. That would give an entirely accurate representation.

Yes, but at that doesn't stop me from posting a poll about what people use to access RuK. The forum admin can probably give more accurate info but if we do a poll that's still fairly accurate.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
No and I know they wont. I can see this turning into a pointless argument over nothing and if this is the case could I please request a MOD to lock this thread. Thank you for voting.

SS4

Established Member
Yes, but at that doesn't stop me from posting a poll about what people use to access RuK. The forum admin can probably give more accurate info but if we do a poll that's still fairly accurate.

For future reference the poll loses some legitimacy when you forget Android and Linux and that's before we talk about BSD. I don't doubt it was an honest mistake and it's only a bit of fun - if the forum was going to change it's style (i.e. pull the android app and optimise for iphone) then such a poll would be important yet it isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.