• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What do you like most about diesel locos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khib70

Interesting thread, at least for us older guys

I was a total train fanatic in my young days, and grew up through the transition from steam to diesel. It was immensely sad to me when the days of steam ended, but I had already found an alternative "fix".

I was at the old Royal High School of Edinburgh, up on Calton Hill from 1965-1968, which overlooked the east end of Waverley. Every day I'd bolt out of school, down a precipitous staircase to Calton Road, just at the end of the overall roof, and climb about fifteen feet up the rock face below St Andrews house to get the maximum view. At 1550, usually bang on time, a Deltic would haul the down Flying Scotsman into P10/11, but that was just the support act.

At 1600 the up Talisman would pull out of P1. That first roar from the twin Napiers, accompanied by a great V-shaped plume of exhaust, was a fantastic experience, amplified by the sound bouncing off the sheer rock face.

I suppose passers by must have had a giggle at the guy in school uniform perched on the rocks above the road. For me though, because of that almost daily experience, the Deltics will always be No1 for me. Would love to hear one starting out of Waverley again just once.

And by the way I had a life, and lots of girlfriends!!!:D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LE Greys

Established Member
Interesting thread, at least for us older guys

I was a total train fanatic in my young days, and grew up through the transition from steam to diesel. It was immensely sad to me when the days of steam ended, but I had already found an alternative "fix".

I was at the old Royal High School of Edinburgh, up on Calton Hill from 1965-1968, which overlooked the east end of Waverley. Every day I'd bolt out of school, down a precipitous staircase to Calton Road, just at the end of the overall roof, and climb about fifteen feet up the rock face below St Andrews house to get the maximum view. At 1550, usually bang on time, a Deltic would haul the down Flying Scotsman into P10/11, but that was just the support act.

At 1600 the up Talisman would pull out of P1. That first roar from the twin Napiers, accompanied by a great V-shaped plume of exhaust, was a fantastic experience, amplified by the sound bouncing off the sheer rock face.

I suppose passers by must have had a giggle at the guy in school uniform perched on the rocks above the road. For me though, because of that almost daily experience, the Deltics will always be No1 for me. Would love to hear one starting out of Waverley again just once.

And by the way I had a life, and lots of girlfriends!!!:D

I remember doing something similar when I first got to Aberdeen. Every Wednesday (half day at uni) I'd go into town, officially to get my shopping, but really to see the 14:55 HST pulling out. Not only was that loud and spectacular, that was the train home. Then they (A) closed off the platforms, so I found another spot outside the station. Then (B) they replaced the Valenta engines. Ruined it! :(

Back at school, there was the RAF flight from Belgrade to Lyneham at 15:00. Three Hercs arriving just as school finished in full view.

Status
Not open for further replies.