• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What do YOU look for in photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Track Basher

An interesting question.

I think my view has changed over the years. During the 80s and 90s it was loco hauled trains but now the train in the picture is immaterial. Loco hauled is a bit thin on the ground these days.

One thing that has not changed however is that the quality of the photo is down to location. In order to get a good photo is mainly down to location. If you are travelling around by train getting station shots this does have some limitations. There are however some other considerations. Finding a great location makes the picture.

You need to consider the location of the sun with locations. Some are best according to different times of day. You can roughly work out where the sun will be but it is best to visit and see the actual location at different times of day. There are a few shots I have taken which I have had several go at defore getting the perfect shot correctly lit by sunlight. Shots into sun rarely work well. Once I have perfected a shot at a location I tend not to use it again unless it is something special.

Another shot that rarely works well is the train under a station canopy on the platform side this is nearly always dark.

I also try different effects. Night time is particularly interesting as you can end up with some spectacular results. Some people are scared by this but with modern digital cameras you gan have a go at different exposures with virtually no cost. The one I am currently trying to get right is the pan shot but have yet to get it right.

You are welcome to have a look at my efforts using the link below.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Well, afraid I normally come under the boring 3/4 sun (if out!) over the shoulder type though I do try and add interest if possible and to show something of the surroundings rather than just the train.

When it comes to "creative" I just don't have an eye for it at all - best I can do is something like this

p732329316-3.jpg

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks for your considered reply Track Basher. I think your comments about location are quite well made, a decent location can make all the difference. You can get some decent shots standing on platforms too, just depends on a) what you call decent b) the weather and c) the station you're at. I'll have a look for a couple of examples from Kidderminster that I hope prove my point in a minute.

33056: All I get with that is "Content protected by owner". Otherwise I'm in agreement with you there, trying to add something else of potential interest to the shot is a good idea.

Track Basher

I will expand on my comment a little. If you are photographing by train at stations it is still down to location. Some stations are good but others are not. This also varies by location.

I think the key is find your locations and use the one that is best for the train and time of day you will be out. That way you will get more than one good picture per trip.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Very fair comment, some stations lend themselves to photography far better than others. Forgot to include the example photos from Kidderminster earlier, however it appears I've not got them online. On Facebook, yes, but not on Photobucket or Flickr. One of them was from the top of the northbound platform, offering nice views of trains from the north. Another was from the southbound platform offering an interesting view of northbound trains framed by the footbridge. Those of you familiar with Kidderminster may be able to imagine what sort of photos this results in.

Meant to add a comment regarding night photography previously, forgot about it. Love night photography, the results can often be spectacular. If you've not got a tripod and they turn out like these two, then I think it's a damn fine result!

The driver awaits the right-away at Bath Spa, 6th August 2010 by 43002, on Flickr

(The photo I wanted to use instead of that one was actually blurred, most annoyingly)

Outside Bristol Temple Meads, 7th August 2010 by 43002, on Flickr

Those are just two photos I like out of my own night photography. Remember, I didn't have a tripod either. Something that I highly recommend for shooting scenes at ridiculous hours of the day, must be said that the 10 second trigger thing came in handy for those two shots. Especially as it wasn't a particularly warm night, my hands were unable to hold the camera very steadily and press the shutter button without blur!

Track Basher

One of my most stunning was a night shot of a 66 loading at Onllwyn coal washery taken at night with a zoom and it was misty. The effect of the final photo was stunning and unexpected. Also made a few quid out of it. I had to wait for an hour for the loco to move into the correct location for the shot.

The shot I want to perfect at present is the daily west Wales HST on Loughor viaduct before it is demolished next year. I have tried it on a Saturday but the sun is too head on by 1000 so I will have to get out during the week because it goes over at 0800 and I can combine this with the 60 on the oil train about an hour earlier. This however does not go over Loughor.

TicketMan

For me it is all about location. I'd much rther spend time at somewhere like Edale, which a fantastic backdrop, and take photos of mundane everyday stuff like 150s and 158s, than go to somewhere like Water Orton for a less inspiring picture of (for example) a rare 60 move.

chrismid259

Well, afraid I normally come under the boring 3/4 sun (if out!) over the shoulder type though I do try and add interest if possible and to show something of the surroundings rather than just the train.

When it comes to "creative" I just don't have an eye for it at all - best I can do is something like this

p732329316-3.jpg

Brilliant photo you've got there. Never really considered trying anything like this before.

One thing I always try to get right is the amount of 'other elements' present in the photo; say if there's a handrail or a series of lamposts in the photo, how much of it is gonna be in/out...how much of it can I fit in? It sounds obvious, but this even goes through my mind when the railtour I've spent hours waiting for finally approaches.

HST Power

Established Member
I'm still a bit of an amateur when it comes to photography, but I'm getting better. Went down to Arlesey today and saw the Flying Scotsman, though made an absolute howler of mistiming my shot and ending up with the carriages, not the power car! I was on the FS two days ago and forgot to snap a shot when I arrived in London. I just wasted a golden opportunity to redeem that missed chance, and I think I'll be cursing my luck for some time. :(

I have a Kodak M550 now and it's quite a good little camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.