• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What do you think a 1st class lounge should offer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaveECRewards

All the little bits of cost cutting at VTEC are becoming quite apparent and earlier this week I was in the VTEC KGX lounge and it's apparent how they're cutting back. The various cutbacks have been mentioned on this site in different threads already and I've put them together in a blog post. One addition to the list of failures was both coffee machines were out of order on this visit!

I've also compared it to airline lounges (where you get free food and alcohol too), but to be fair, my expectations of a station lounge aren't as high as you're unlikely to be waiting as long as you would at an airport.

I'd be happy with the VTEC lounges if they kept them well maintained, tidy and had decent WiFi. As King's Cross is VTECs main lounge then offering a little more than the others makes sense too. I don't think Coke should be considered too much of an expense.

So what does everyone think a station lounge should offer? Does anyone think the offering needs to match the airlines? Just like the VTEC on-board product, I'll be happy with the current VTEC lounge offering as long as they're well maintained, stocked and kept clean (oh and sort the WiFi).

I quite like the ability to purchase alcohol at the KGX lounge, mainly as that's the only place that's not a train where you can buy Hop on Board! I wish they'd fix their card machine though, it's the only place in London I've needed cash in the last few months.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rmt4ever

All the little bits of cost cutting at VTEC are becoming quite apparent and earlier this week I was in the VTEC KGX lounge and it's apparent how they're cutting back. The various cutbacks have been mentioned on this site in different threads already and I've put them together in a blog post. One addition to the list of failures was both coffee machines were out of order on this visit!

I've also compared it to airline lounges (where you get free food and alcohol too), but to be fair, my expectations of a station lounge aren't as high as you're unlikely to be waiting as long as you would at an airport.

I'd be happy with the VTEC lounges if they kept them well maintained, tidy and had decent WiFi. As King's Cross is VTECs main lounge then offering a little more than the others makes sense too. I don't think Coke should be considered too much of an expense.

So what does everyone think a station lounge should offer? Does anyone think the offering needs to match the airlines? Just like the VTEC on-board product, I'll be happy with the current VTEC lounge offering as long as they're well maintained, stocked and kept clean (oh and sort the WiFi).

I quite like the ability to purchase alcohol at the KGX lounge, mainly as that's the only place that's not a train where you can buy Hop on Board! I wish they'd fix their card machine though, it's the only place in London I've needed cash in the last few months.

I don’t mind paying cash but the process is antiquated.

Find someone to serve you, the are slow usually, pay, the take money away, go get change.

It’s ridiculous.

You should even be able to run a tab and pay when u leave

SaveECRewards

Find someone to serve you, the are slow usually, pay, the take money away, go get change.

It’s ridiculous.

I have had a tab on occasion if I know the person who’s working there and I expect to be there a while but it’s no longer proactively offered. In GNER days (when it was all table service, including the hot drinks) paying at the end if you wanted to order anything from the bar was standard and I never had an issue with the card machine back then!

Speaking of penny pinching I remember being charged for crisps when NXEC ran the lounge (they weren’t on the menu or on display, I just asked if they had any and was told they had just the ones they sell on board)

175mph

On Moderation

It’s ridiculous.

But then there'd be the risk of people running up a tab, then doing a runner instead of paying. <(

I'd like to see a waited on gourmet restaurant.

hooverboy

On Moderation

It’s ridiculous.

if they want to run it like an airline then they should treat it as such,likewise with the onboard experience.virgin have plenty of practice at that.

in business/first that means:
1)comfortable waiting areas
2)meals/drinks on demand-and properly cooked to order.filet mignon etc done to your taste,when requested, with a decent red of your choice.
3)comfortable on-board seating/rest areas.
4)with new technology, a la carte entertainments+ complimentary wi-fi.
5)PROPER reclining/relaxation chairs...you will be spending almost as much time on this train as if you were flying from heathrow to new york..so act like it

wouldn't necessarily have a problem with this being a perk of joining the virgin mile-high-club

Last edited:

tgrb

So I am a fairly regular visitor to the GWR 1st class lounge at Paddington - and though it's not "amazing" it does the job realitively well and has:

Two main seated areas, one more modern with TV and PIS and a meeting room you can hire and then a more traditional area with leather sofas and is quite quiet.

Each area has toilets that are always a well maintained in my experience

Both areas have coffee machines and hot water for tea, good quality and fresh milk - china cups (I have thought takeaway would be handy but never seen this)

The smaller area generally, has crisps, nuts, biscuits, fruit, water and coke to help yourself to, the main area has more of a selection of the above including OJ.

It's all kept pretty clean and tidy in my experience with one person checking tickets on entry and two weeks people inside restocking and cleaning tables etc.

My main gripe is until recent around tea time they always had 2 or 3 fresh cakes - when I was in there Monday the young lad told me this had been stopped and now you can't even get the pre-wrapped fruit cake you get on the train - this was a nice touch before I thought and can't of cost them that much. I think they still do sandwiches at lunch time....

They used to do wine every evening but that's now only Wednesday or Friday!!

I would like it if there was a bit more on offer even if you had to pay....beer... hot food etc would be a real bonus or even sandwiches etc in the evening when your just down to nuts and crisps - to be honest though at the prices they should be throwing a bit more in - how hard would it be to do toasted sandwiches or Panninis or something?

There wifi in there is ok..... and plenty of sockets for phones etc

Now getting picky...... the GWR lounge at Paddington is half way down platform one and has pretty much no windows (with a view at least) I'd really like it if it was above the concourse or similar and had good view of what's going on.

gazthomas

Established Member
The "lounges" at Wakefield and Doncaster are a bit basic - tea/coffee, water and biscuits and no staff to check your tickets, so everyone can walk in and enjoy.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The VTWC lounge at Euston is pretty much spot-on what I'd expect. Free light refreshments, (normally) kept clean, plenty of seating/tables and showers (with free towels) which are great at the end of a long day.

Two-hour access prior to departure and one hour after arrival. Televisions and (I think) newspapers too.

Probably the only thing Virgin I cannot fault :lol:

xotGD

Established Member
The freebies in the lounge should match the freebies on the train.

SaveECRewards

So I am a fairly regular visitor to the GWR 1st class lounge at Paddington - and though it's not "amazing" it does the job realitively well
I was there today. I like this lounge because of the quieter, Victorian section of the waiting room but with the decline in facilities in the VTEC lounge at KGX it made me really appreciate the GWR lounge. Unlike my last visit to the KGX lounge this lounge had working coffee machines, Coke (in full size cans, VTEC reduced the size before scrapping them all together), better range of snacks and very importantly the lounge was kept clean.

I think it has everything I'd expect from a station lounge.

My favourite was King's Cross, Edinburgh or Newcastle in the GNER heyday. They had table service with the usual complimentaries served at seat, but you also had the opportunity to order other items that were for sale on-board in the lounge such as sandwiches and alcohol. KGX was unique that it also offered hot food from the buffet menu.

The freebies in the lounge should match the freebies on the train.

It would be nice, but I think the potential for abuse would be too high - buy a cheap first class advance and get access to free beer in the lounge, some people may fill their bags when no ones looking. I'm happy enough to pay for alcohol in the lounge, of course I'd bot complain if it was free ;) I do think soft drinks, biscuits, etc should be provided to match on-board but then fewer people are going to exploit free Coke.

johntea

Established Member
Perhaps one of those Coca Cola Freestyle machines that can vend lots of different style of drink would be an idea, although I do wonder how many people actually use the lounges these days with the explosion of Costa Cofee and the like which didn't exist back in the day! (If you're a business traveler I'm sure a posh coffee or two won't make a dent on the expenses claim form!)

XCTurbostar

Established Member
The VTWC lounge at Euston is pretty much spot-on what I'd expect. Free light refreshments, (normally) kept clean, plenty of seating/tables and showers (with free towels) which are great at the end of a long day.

Two-hour access prior to departure and one hour after arrival. Televisions and (I think) newspapers too.

Probably the only thing Virgin I cannot fault :lol:
I agree entirely. This should absolutely be the standard for 1st Class lounges. The only thing that I would critisise is the lack of free refreshments on a Sunday (and Saturday?) where there was barely any choice.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
They should be closed and the same standards offered to all. That or turned into Costa coffee outlets.

I best say I am not being entirely serious however I rarely get to use first class. When i have I have fund that the lounges offer somewhere to wait and have a cup of tea away from the scum. Clearly they should be optimised to meet the needs of the business traveler offering wifi, power, tables and refreshments

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Perhaps one of those Coca Cola Freestyle machines that can vend lots of different style of drink would be an idea, although I do wonder how many people actually use the lounges these days with the explosion of Costa Cofee and the like which didn't exist back in the day! (If you're a business traveler I'm sure a posh coffee or two won't make a dent on the expenses claim form!)

This is a really good idea. My favourite American Airlines Admirals Club is in Austin, Texas, simply because they had one of these! You could get about 70 different mixes out of it.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
if they want to run it like an airline then they should treat it as such,likewise with the onboard experience.virgin have plenty of practice at that.

in business/first that means:
1)comfortable waiting areas
2)meals/drinks on demand-and properly cooked to order.filet mignon etc done to your taste,when requested, with a decent red of your choice.
3)comfortable on-board seating/rest areas.
4)with new technology, a la carte entertainments+ complimentary wi-fi.
5)PROPER reclining/relaxation chairs...you will be spending almost as much time on this train as if you were flying from heathrow to new york..so act like it

wouldn't necessarily have a problem with this being a perk of joining the virgin mile-high-club

Sounds great. And expensive. And will never happen.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They should accept all first class tickets that are valid from that station (probably with the exception of other TOC advances), not just tickets to destinations that would be valid on that TOC e.g. the VT Euston lounge should accept Open First Class tickets from say Leighton Buzzard (which is not served by Virgin Trains but is a destination reached from Euston).

SS4

Established Member
1) Air Conditioning that is actually used
2) A quiet place to sit and wait for a train with departure board
2a) Cool zones - a section kept at a low temperature (somewhat of a wishlist item I admit)
3) USB ports and power sockets (with the opportunity to borrow some of the more common cables)
4) Natural Lighting albeit with a shaded area - some of the fluorescent lighting does my head no favours and you can't beat the sun for light
5) A well kept bathroom
6) Complimentary hot drinks and water
7) Complimentary soft drinks not mentioned above
8) WiFi (I have a good data plan so low on my list)

Status
Not open for further replies.