• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What do you think are the ugliest buses ever built?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statto

Established Member
Don't think there's a thread for this one, but what are the ugliest buses ever made, the Marshall deckers to name one then Willowbrook on the Atlantean & Dominator, but winner had to be Dublin Buses, both Bombardier, & Metsec Atlantean,

Dublin Metsec Atlantean

Bombardier

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northern506

The Designline Olymbus electric buses used on the Quaylink services by Stagecoach before Go North East took it over are definitely up there.

CBlue

Fowler bodied Atlantean

I understand that Fowler, the coachbuilder, only had space to build one deck at a time - so the upper deck was built separately and then attached outside. Can you tell?

I'd also like to nominate the Wright Streetcar "FTR" artics that were used around Leeds, York and Swansea....the damn things just looked like giant purple slugs!

RustySpoons

Fowler bodied Atlantean

I understand that Fowler, the coachbuilder, only had space to build one deck at a time - so the upper deck was built separately and then attached outside. Can you tell?

Looks like the upper deck was built by a separate team who didn't have the measurements for the lower deck...

duncombec

Looks like the upper deck was built by a separate team who didn't have the measurements for the lower deck...

Compared to the bus next to it, it also looks extremely tall. Does anyone know the (overall) height of the vehicle?

It looks like the sort of thing that gave ideas to JK Rowling!

GLC

Any Northern Counties Palatine for me

DunsBus

Established Member
The 30 Willowbrook-bodied Atlanteans built for Tyne & Wear PTE in the late-seventies, which were top-heavy and rather ungainly. Problems with the tilt-test, due to them having a nearside staircase (as specified by the PTE at the time) delayed delivery and led to them being dubbed "Wallybrooks" when they did eventually arrive.

They also rusted badly: withdrawals started in 1986, when the buses were 8 years old, and all were off by 1990.

A few of them lasted long enough to received Sunderland Busways livery, which I always felt suited these buses better as the green relief bands took away some of the severity of the body lines.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Most stuff build by East Lancs :)

Was just going to say this, anyone who knows me off this site can attest to my hatred of East Lancs bodies! They built one decent looking bus (Olympus) then went out of business. :lol:

PaulMc7

Established Member
I don't know why but there's just something about the Alexander Dennis E400s I just don't like at all. Don't know if the low height aspect of them plays a part in that though. I'm only 5 ft 10 and can't stand up fully upstairs on one without cracking my head off of the ceiling of 1. I'm also only 26 so I feel like all of my memories of buses and their designs are fairly limited. Only really learned to pay attention to bus types on here last year

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Nothing wrong with a Vyking!

...that's if it's low height, gasket glazed and preferably Strathtay-spec. 8-)

But yes I agree, the majority of East Lancs stuff is pretty damn ugly.

The Vyking looked dated even for it's time and the upper deck doesn't look right either, far too boxy and the upper deck windscreen looks out of proportion to the lower deck.

DunsBus

Established Member
Do they not tilt them both directions? I can't see why a staircase being moved should cause a tilt failure, after all Nottingham had nearside staircases for years though their standard deckers looked decidedly odd...

Good point. I think it was because Willowbrook was more used to small batches than large orders and had never built buses with nearside staircases before. These 30 Atlanteans were to have had Alexander bodies, but were diverted to Willowbrook due to a backlog at Alexander.

DunsBus

Established Member

The Alexander R-type knock-off especially so. Had that order on Dennis Dominators for South Yorkshire PTE (which is where I believe it originated, as SYPTE wanted to keep parts stocks to a minimum and asked East Lancs to body them to resemble the R-types already in the fleet) been a one-off, all would have been forgiven.

Only East Lancs could offer a body style based on one which was used by another bodybuilder!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

East Lancs body with Strathtay livery. That's the dictionary definition of ugly right there :)

PG

Established Member
East Lancs body with Strathtay livery. That's the dictionary definition of ugly right there :)
If you were unfortunate enough to have to drive one of Strathtays EL2000 Leyland Tiger rebodies (416) then the livery was the least of your worries!

Tigers were normally childs play with good ergonomics, not these ones - Indicators so noisy you had to cancel them in order to issue a ticket, wipers colliding with such force they'd frequently stop working, cab door catch with sharp edge proud of top of the door and positioned just where you'd strike it with your left elbow when heaving the enormously heavy steering round (honestly a B15 Titan was easier to steer), semi auto gears that changed with an almighty thunk, I could go on....

Cambus731

I thought those AEC Bridgemasters looked odd
also the Leyland Titan Queen Marys

jammy36

Some of my personal 'favourites'

The Tynesider - Northern General's attempt to convert a Leyland PD3 for one man operation.

I always thought vehicles with Nottingham's 'Standard' style bodywork ugly, but I know they have their followers.

Talking of Nottingham, there's also this one off special

Frazer-Nash Research's experimental Bristol Superlight also has some interesting styling cues

There are some pretty awful early Wright bodies. The Wright TTs delivered to Maidstone Corporation (Boro'line) were especially horrendous looking things

But my personal ugly favourite has to be an East Lancs product and in particular Hartlepool's East Lancs bodied Dennis Dominator. Not the most attractive from the front (an element of municipal bin lorry)

But it's at the rear where things really get interesting, with their odd lean-to engine bay extension that looks to be cobbled together from leftovers (surely this wasn't actually designed).

Bayum

Established Member
Fowler bodied Atlantean

I'd also like to nominate the Wright Streetcar "FTR" artics that were used around Leeds, York and Swansea....the damn things just looked like giant purple slugs!
Oh. Wow.

Andyh82

Established Member
I think modern East Lancs bodies looked ok, it was the old stuff like this

Those Dublin models in the first post were bad, the Bombardier looked literally like it was just flat panels bolted together, without any style. The upper deck front window looks like it should be a back window.

And as for the Atlantean, how many different shaped side windows did they use?

scosutsut

Wright Handybus for me, especially with the split screen.

Not my photo, credit on the link.

Redmike

A couple of Leyland Swift bodies come to mind. Both are pictured in Macclesfield coincidentally.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Was just going to say this, anyone who knows me off this site can attest to my hatred of East Lancs bodies! They built one decent looking bus (Olympus) then went out of business. :lol:

Don't think they were all bad https://www.flickr.com/photos/80122...-2i4tMAD-2ia2Jhf-FyJGJ5-8T3s91-22GEKyv-dDsmNT

However, the EL Spryte and Flyte were shockers

Status
Not open for further replies.