• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What does C1 or C3 mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veteran Member
Would they not maybe have used the C0 code for these regardless? Unless it was specifically introduced for them after introduction as DEMUs.
C0 would have made sense, though I don't remember seeing it anywhere.
I can't remember whether SR emus carried restrictions at all (anyone?), while vans had actual dimensions painted on the side.

An intriguing question is - if C0 was totally unrestricted, and C1 virtually* "go anywhere," what if there had been BR hauled stock to SR restriction 1 (Tonbridge to Grove Jn, T Wells - not Eridge as I said earlier, sorry)? It's academic, as the only such stock was the 3D/class 207 units.
* I know there were other restrictions on Other Regions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
C0 would have made sense, though I don't remember seeing it anywhere.
I can't remember whether SR emus carried restrictions at all (anyone?), while vans had actual dimensions painted on the side.

An intriguing question is - if C0 was totally unrestricted, and C1 virtually* "go anywhere," what if there had been BR hauled stock to SR restriction 1 (Tonbridge to Grove Jn, T Wells - not Eridge as I said earlier, sorry)? It's academic, as the only such stock was the 3D/class 207 units.
* I know there were other restrictions on Other Regions.

C00 or something perhaps?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Just checked the 2 Suburbans (BS and SoL) on KWVR and neither carry C1, only the dimensions plate, unlike the TSO in the set. No route branding visible.

I guess it's because they are shorter than a standard Mk1 so are within the restriction anyway?

LAX54

Established Member
That's the bit I just don't get.

In the "bad" old days, the civil engineer ensured his structures and track conformed to a specific structure gauge. In turn, the rolling stock engineer ensured his stock conformed to a specific loading gauge.

Everyone knew exactly where they were and the only things separately gauged were out of gauge loads. Now it seems every new piece of kit has to be tried out on any line it intends to run on to see if it fits!

Now is that because we don't design and make vehicles in the UK anymore, they are all sourced from Europe, and 'off the shelf' even stuff 'built' here, is not really UK spec. Gone are the days when any train could go anywhere, and any train / loco could assist any other ! (And of course France had the same problem a few years ago with their snazzy new trains not fitting in stations)

Status
Not open for further replies.