• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What does 'thrash' mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hassaanhc

Established Member
Hey mate, don't worry about it. (I'm sure you aren't, ha ha). Just enjoy it. When you get a bit older you will do exactly what I am doing, perhaps, and tell people what it used to be like. As long as you are having fun (and not harming anyone) that is all that matters.
I had a watch+listen, I see what you mean :D http://youtu.be/6v47Hsixqw4. At first I thought it sounded very similar to the "Thumpers" that ran to Uckfield but then I found both were built by English Electric around the same time ;).
Thanks, I'm sure the future generations will enjoy, and much loathed new stock these days will suddenly be preferred :lol: (thanks to the "old=good, new=bad mentality :P).

Darandio

Established Member
Put it this way I can often get more thrash out of a 142 at 5mph than I have seen some drivers get out of a Class 60 (!) WITH 2600 Tones of iron ore behind it (!!) with an unimaginative driver who only decided to coast past his audience of 40 spotters at Barnetby/Wrawby Jn.

It's all about driving techniques and having a high powered machine on a heavy loud means nothing if you only coast past trainspotters, if it was me I'd be aiming to "please my audience" and give the best thrash possible.

And I thought these trains were sent out to move commodities around the country. Now I realise that these trains are sent out to appease an audience. Thanks.

I can just imagine you now, stood on a platform end waving your arms incessantly at every service that approaches and becoming irate when the train goes coasting past. Serious issues.

fowler9

Established Member
I had a watch+listen, I see what you mean :D http://youtu.be/6v47Hsixqw4. At first I thought it sounded very similar to the "Thumpers" that ran to Uckfield but then I found both were built by English Electric around the same time ;).
Thanks, I'm sure the future generations will enjoy, and much loathed new stock these days will suddenly be preferred :lol: (thanks to the "old=good, new=bad mentality :P).

Ha ha, cracking video clip. That is what thrash means.

Strathclyder

Established Member
I'd only like to imagine what I'd be capable of if you gave me a loco like a Class 37 and mainline speeds.
If anybody would be stupid enough to do such a thing, then yes. Sadly, this is the real world, not some jumped up fantasy.

Last edited:

Beveridges

Established Member
Also, to have decent thrash, wet rails and a 37 are a good combination

Driving technique is most important and can 'at least' triple the amount of thrash.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Quite - and using more power than necessary also wastes fuel (an expensive commodity these days - maybe Beveridges' employers should charge him for the excess fuel costs for each 'thrash' ?

Considering the amount of fuel that gets spilled when fuelling trains due to old knackered equipment, the amount of fuel "wasted" from the occasional good thrash is negligible.

Some self-observed thrash at Crewe - as one punter quips, 'That's what we call putting on a show, I think...'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ADygVj4jRY

That driver is obviously trying to please his audience but that's not exactly hard when you've got four clagworthy 37's all multi'ed up...

Last edited:

Whistler40145

Established Member
Beveridges, I expect it's quite an art to get the most thrash out of a loco & some drivers enjoy providing some entertainment.

Beveridges

Established Member
Beveridges, I expect it's quite an art to get the most thrash out of a loco

Certainly is to get the most out of a 2nd gen DMU with a 5mph speed limit... you wouldn't believe the amount of clag I've had out of some of the more demic units...

If I was a loco driver I'd certainly be able to 'entertain' the spotters.

Last edited:
Being of a certain age and an enthusiast in my youth I remember Class 20, 37,40, 50 and 55 to be the most prolific locos for good thrash. Of course, Class 43 with Valenta engines were also excellent.

Rugd1022

Old school thrash, courtesy of D1033 'Western Trooper'...

Attachments

• BRWR D1033 Teignmouth bw.jpg
    BRWR D1033 Teignmouth bw.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 55

Beveridges

Established Member
For real thrash it had to be 2x Slugs on a heavy load. Monstrous amounts of noise and clag. Especially if one (or both) was an unsilenced Ruston type. I noticed that they were louder than the 1x 60 that replaced them and they probably clagged more as well. 60's aren't bad for thrash either but they're not as good as the slugs that they replaced.

Last edited:

Rugd1022

Another salvo from the WR... ;)

Attachments

• ZWW D1037 Reading 15th March 1974.jpg
    ZWW D1037 Reading 15th March 1974.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 20

ac6000cw

Established Member
Duffs don't thrash. They strum

I agree - and what was on the video is just normal, as those of us who grew up with them (and 45s/46s) can testify ;)

(I still have an image of a full-throttle from standstill '45/46' departure from New Street 40 years ago etched into my brain - what a show it was.....47's were too delicate to take that sort of abuse)

....and if you want some alternative 'thrash', try these - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLIg-qMaCdE and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJjJPEGV22c - no turbos, no silencers, just full-throttle EMD 567-series two-stroke power and smoke :D

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I agree - and what was on the video is just normal, as those of us who grew up with them (and 45s/46s) can testify ;)

My dad has witnessed a class 47/8 on a VXC send fire as clag. He was on a different 47 tour and the 'twin' was about to leave and when it did the clag went from black to blacker to orange to red and it then took off like a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.