• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What equipment would I need to get this quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eMeS

I think much of the quality in the video is down to filming when the lighting was good, and I expect he was using an HDV capable camera. (My HDV camera does seem to produce better quality SD than my SD cameras, even though one of my SD cameras was rated as semi-pro in its day.)

Whatever, the camera used does seem to have a very wide zoom ratio with very acceptable quality at the tele end.

As I'm beginning to learn, the video would have been even better if a tripod had been used...

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
That doesn't look like a HD camera. It looks like what was once, a very good DV camera.

If you want brilliant looking video then I would suggest a Nikon SLR - they take amazing quality video, but only for 12 minutes at a time. You would also need a fluid head tripod.

For you, I would suggest Panasonic TM700. It's HD, and relatively cheap. I've heard nothing but good reviews for it.

Remember, you can have the best kit in the world and still make a **** video. It's more about technique and skill.

Established Member
Any camera is only as good as the lens that you put in front of it. So even if you do buy a top price SLR, then make sure you get an equally good top price lens to go with it. I marvel at the sight sometimes of people who buy a new Canon and use the kit lens that comes with it (which is ****e).

Established Member
18-55 mm was the one I was referring to, which was offered to me when I bought the 500D. Decided to just get the body only and bought a second-hand 28-135 mm IS on eBay.

I gather that the kit lens is now also an IS one, which I didn't know, so it probably is a lot better than the non-IS one.

eMeS

The IS version of the 18-55 is reckoned to be much better than the original non-IS version. Before I "graduated" to the IS version, I got acceptable results from the original version by working at a higher ISO, and forcing the use of a smaller aperture. Probably OK for trains etc. but less so for portraits...

I expect most video capable APS-C Canon bodies came with the later IS version of the kit lens.

T163R

This video is by far NOT the best quality you can find: it's not even HD...
The video you linked is only 480p, and FullHD videos are 1080p...

scoope

I agree with the comments on lenses, It would seem that the larger the appature the better. This is what Apple have just done...........reduced the mega pixel but increased the lense appature resulting in a better quality shot/video. I have been recomended one of the JVC Enviro camcorders as an upgrade is required

londonmidland

Established Member
I agree with the comments on lenses, It would seem that the larger the appature the better. This is what Apple have just done...........reduced the mega pixel but increased the lense appature resulting in a better quality shot/video. I have been recomended one of the JVC Enviro camcorders as an upgrade is required

I have a JVC, Everio:lol:
Take a look at my video, Full HD in 1080p, the handling isn't great :/
(Needs to improve:oops:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnksmTfnS1Q

Established Member
The IS version of the 18-55 is reckoned to be much better than the original non-IS version. Before I "graduated" to the IS version, I got acceptable results from the original version by working at a higher ISO, and forcing the use of a smaller aperture. Probably OK for trains etc. but less so for portraits...

I expect most video capable APS-C Canon bodies came with the later IS version of the kit lens.

Had a quick try with the kit lens when I was buying the camera, and didn't feel right at all (build quality was terrible when trying to zoom in and out). Might have to have a look in Jessops and have a play with the IS one to see what it is like.

rail-britain

Established Member
Thanks, it's a JVC Everio GZ-HM300
It was quite clear it was a video camera, rather than a bridge camera or other camera in video recording mode
This device is capable of recording in 1080p, so why are the videos being shot in a lower resolution?
Is this to save memory and allow you to capture more data?
As far as I am aware this device has slots for SD cards, so could easily record what you need then swap these cards as most of your recorded sessions appear to be very short
Only twice have a I recorded a video of longer than 15 minutes, this where a video camera comes into its own

londonmidland

Established Member
It was quite clear it was a video camera, rather than a bridge camera or other camera in video recording mode
This device is capable of recording in 1080p, so why are the videos being shot in a lower resolution?
Is this to save memory and allow you to capture more data?
As far as I am aware this device has slots for SD cards, so could easily record what you need then swap these cards as most of your recorded sessions appear to be very short
Only twice have a I recorded a video of longer than 15 minutes, this where a video camera comes into its own

It wasn't recorded in a lower resolution, it was recorded in UXP mode. It is only capable of recording in 1080i, not 1080p. This camera has 2 SD card slots, it is perfect for long recording times. The reason I don't upload long video's is because it can take over 12 hours to upload just a 5 minute video in Cyberlink PowerDirector!

stuartmoss

My videos are shot on a Canon Legria HFS200 - I don't burn them in full HD because the files are too large and uploading is too slow, see what you think of the quality:

[youtube]tftNeR8al-A[/youtube]

starrymarkb

Established Member
It wasn't recorded in a lower resolution, it was recorded in UXP mode. It is only capable of recording in 1080i, not 1080p. This camera has 2 SD card slots, it is perfect for long recording times. The reason I don't upload long video's is because it can take over 12 hours to upload just a 5 minute video in Cyberlink PowerDirector!

Are you trying to upload raw DV video? Would it not make sense to compress the video before uploading. Windows movie maker makes some large files but a 5 min 1080p 60fps vid would take a couple of hours to upload. If I set the compression to something sensible then I'd be looking at 45mins. My 35 min HS1 vid took 12 hours!

londonmidland

Established Member
Are you trying to upload raw DV video? Would it not make sense to compress the video before uploading. Windows movie maker makes some large files but a 5 min 1080p 60fps vid would take a couple of hours to upload. If I set the compression to something sensible then I'd be looking at 45mins. My 35 min HS1 vid took 12 hours!

I am dumb when it comes to things like this, I do not know how to compress video files. I do not upload the raw video file to YouTube, I edit it in Cyberlink PowerDirector and then produce it via the YouTube uploader, which is included, in Full HD.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Have you tried Windows Movie Maker. I save the edited file to my desktop and then upload it using the website interface.

I suspect it is the Cyberlink that is making the huge files. Though thinking your ISP could be throttling your uploads. My connection is about 16-18Mb down and 1Mb up...

Try saving the file as MPEG4 or WMV...

londonmidland

Established Member
Have you tried Windows Movie Maker. I save the edited file to my desktop and then upload it using the website interface.

I suspect it is the Cyberlink that is making the huge files. Though thinking your ISP could be throttling your uploads. My connection is about 16-18Mb down and 1Mb up...

Try saving the file as MPEG4 or WMV...

Here's my speed;

I save my files as WMV

Status
Not open for further replies.