• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What features should be on intercity trains?

What features should intercity trains have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Intercity 225

Sorry curtains aren't in the poll because there is a limit on the number of options that can be added

No need to apologise, curtains are just another thing to consider in the context of the overall thread. For the record I think you've created a well thought out list and each option on it is worthy of a place.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
FWIW if there are blinds there need to be signs like the French ones saying "If there is a dispute as to the position of the blind, it is to be <whatever>". (I prefer open, but it barely matters provided the default is known).

ooo

No need to apologise, curtains are just another thing to consider in the context of the overall thread. For the record I think you've created a well thought out list and each option on it is worthy of a place.
Thanks, I thought it would be quite interesting to see which features people think are most important as there always seems to be complaints about the lack of some of them

London Trains

All.
To edit, Carriages with doors at end could also be one door in the middle of the coach (e.g. Stadler Flirt in more intercity layout)

Raul_Duke

I dont pay for first class. Perks of actually working on the trains.

But you need to remove your head from ones own rear.

I'm not being funny but aren't you still a child? You may see it completely different when you're paying full bat.

Get rid of first class and get more people onto an already overloaded system to alleviate problems.

You can always read the beano and have your fizzy pop sat in a normal seat.

:lol:

London Trains

Agree heavily with this. Blinds are a terrible idea. Especially if shared between airline seats as on the Pendolinos. When not in use they’re one extra item to rattle too.
But Yes to Curtains on trains with near perfect window-seat alignment, as a window takes up 2 sets of airline seats or a table on most trains, and a curtain is halfway basically so it works.
Blinds are stupid in my opinion, I have never used them as when it is dark, it is dark so why use a blind.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
This is awful of me but I like how GWR/VTEC have both trolleys and buffets (though the latter are better) on their HSTs (and 225s) because if they're stingy on the trolley with the first class offering and you don't think it is satisfactory or like what they offer online you can go the the Express Cafe/Railbar and get something there.

ooo

I'm not 100% sure what the percentages are. Is it the percentage of people who've answered the pole that selected that answer? Can someone in the know clarify this for me?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I'm not 100% sure what the percentages are. Is it the percentage of people who've answered the pole that selected that answer? Can someone in the know clarify this for me?

I can't guarantee it but I believe it is out of all votes.

DenmarkRail

I'm not sure if anyone has been on the Milan to Venice train, but the business class on those have conference facilities, and proper reclining seats... None of the British rubbish we have

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Is that Italio, Frecciarossa, Frecciabianca, Frecciaargentio or a loco hauled Trenitalia train because Le Frecce do have nice seats. ?

QUOTE: British rubbish:

Matter of opinion but the GWR first class seats are super, as are the Mallard first class seats, be they moquette or leather. Indeed so were the original first class FGW leather seats (same type as current Chiltern Main Line silver business zone but those are fabric) and the ATW premier first class seating.

AGA 90s have rather nice first class seats too and though I'm not a massive fan the EMT HST first class is also good.

driver_m

Established Member
I would add an extra point. Apols if it's already been mentioned. Proper cooked food. Not chicken ding, not butties. Something done by a trained chef.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Better than the Airline style with a set of Tables in the middle e.g. TGV's, Eurostar's and Voyagers.

Alternating them works really well, as a table bay requires slightly more space than a set of airlines it means you can do that while keeping full window alignment (not one seat is misaligned in the as-built Class 158 layout).

Clansman

Established Member
Larger tables at airline seats really should be must also - although I might be pushing if I say fixed tables should be privided in Standard Class ones.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Larger tables at airline seats really should be must also - although I might be pushing if I say fixed tables should be privided in Standard Class ones.

I prefer folding, like to put my foot up on the heating conduit which a fixed table prevents. Just make them big enough for an average laptop (something like a 13" Macbook Pro) and space for a coffee at the side.

On Moderation
Alternating them works really well, as a table bay requires slightly more space than a set of airlines it means you can do that while keeping full window alignment (not one seat is misaligned in the as-built Class 158 layout).
The mid-80s BR Mark 3 refurbishment which went to 76 seats in standard class was about the right mix. Probably not far off the 158 in terms of proportion of seats of each type.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

That's the last thing I would want in the airline seating - fixed tables...

Goldie

Useable luggage space, and by that I mean a van or luggage compartment containing cycle racks. No one wants to go to the station not really knowing whether there will be space for their luggage on the train, and i) waiting for other people to stuff their bags into already full racks; or ii) keeping people waiting while I try and stuff my bags into already full racks; or iii) keeping half an eye on my bags on a busy train; or iv) tripping over someone's bike; or v) writing off the idea of taking my own bike anywhere by train, even though I'd quite like to; or v) writing off the idea of going on holiday by train, even though it's theoretically possible, because I don't fancy trying to shepherd children and suitcases onto a train which has basically not been built to accommodate children or suitcases: all of these are some of my least favourite aspects of travelling by train.

Marklund

While big data packages are becoming common many people only have limited mobile data packages or still use PAYG phones. I have used nearly all of my monthly data allowance on holiday and station, train and Metrolink wifi has been very helpful during the last week or so. Also train wifi increasingly uses all 4 physical networks (EE, Vodafone, 02 and Three) and uses much more complex antenna than a phone therefore is more likely to provide a data signal.

Times change.
When GNER first put in wifi, (I can't believe it was 2003 o_O) it was a very expensive installation, but data contracts were few and far between and exceedingly expensive. Media consumed wasn't as data rich as it is now. Even my octogenarian father has data on his phone.
WiFi, particularly filtered for media rich sites wifi is as good as pointless (to me) now.

Chester1

Established Member
Times change.
When GNER first put in wifi, (I can't believe it was 2003 o_O) it was a very expensive installation, but data contracts were few and far between and exceedingly expensive. Media consumed wasn't as data rich as it is now. Even my octogenarian father has data on his phone.
WiFi, particularly filtered for media rich sites wifi is as good as pointless (to me) now.

I am aware that times change but your missing my point that there will always be situations when train wifi is very helpful. The cost of providing a basic wifi service inadequate for video but enough for browsing is tiny in comparison to the cost of leasing intercity units. I rarely use train wifi because I have a large mobile data allowance but when I do it is extremely helpful because either a) I can't get a mobile signal or b) my data allowance has run out. The cost vs benefit might be different for local and regional services though.

Marklund

I am aware that times change but your missing my point that there will always be situations when train wifi is very helpful. The cost of providing a basic wifi service inadequate for video but enough for browsing is tiny in comparison to the cost of leasing intercity units. I rarely use train wifi because I have a large mobile data allowance but when I do it is extremely helpful because either a) I can't get a mobile signal or b) my data allowance has run out. The cost vs benefit might be different for local and regional services though.

There are lots and lots of things that could be helpful. Better baby changing facilities are higher than WiFi for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.