• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What features should be on intercity trains?

What features should intercity trains have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BanburyBlue

Assuming Inter-city means longer distance services, hence more comfort than your average suburban commuter train , my options would be..

1, Decent leg room. I'm 6'4", which I don't think is especially tall in this day and age, and unless I can get a table or priority seat I feel 'wedged' in most trains.

2, Proper buffet/shop. These tend to give a much better choice that the trolleys, and you haven't got to wait hours for one to turn up. This includes hot food options, proper coffee, cold beers etc. Much more suitable for longer distance travel.

And yes, ban XC ten minute reservations.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

physics34

Established Member
2, Proper buffet/shop. These tend to give a much better choice that the trolleys, and you haven't got to wait hours for one to turn up. This includes hot food options, proper coffee, cold beers etc. Much more suitable for longer distance travel.

And yes, ban XC ten minute reservations.

They just don't make money. If the railway was a proper public service not a private company, you could still have buffets even if they ran at a loss, being subsidised by profits elsewhere.

BanburyBlue

They just don't make money. If the railway was a proper public service not a private company, you could still have buffets even if they ran at a loss, being subsidised by profits elsewhere.
Are you saying that a trolley service makes money and a buffet doesn't?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Are you saying that a trolley service makes money and a buffet doesn't?

It'll make more money (or lose less) on two grounds:
1. It doesn't take a bit of the train up that could instead contain seats with paying passengers sitting in them.
2. It comes to you, so you're more likely to make an impulse purchase.

STKKK46

Quote about baby changing facilities:

Not for everyone trust me

So you’re wanting to eat your Lamb Shank in your oversized seats whilst a child the other side of the aisle has a soiled nappy all the way from London to Edinburgh?

Or would you rather the parent changed said nappy on the tables of first class?

Darandio

Established Member
So you’re wanting to eat your Lamb Shank in your oversized seats whilst a child the other side of the aisle has a soiled nappy all the way from London to Edinburgh?

Or would you rather the parent changed said nappy on the tables of first class?

No, i'm fairly certain they feel that children/babies should not be allowed on trains, or First Class at least.

We've been here before, it's staggering, don't indulge them.

keith1879

Comfortable seats (including good leg-room). Enough seats ....whether through lots of trains or longer trains doesn't matter to me ...but the shorter the distance the more useful is a frequent service.

Darandio

Established Member
Yes. Unless you were joking, you seem to be suggesting some of the public should be prevented from using public transport.

That isn't what I said at all Mark, i said "they feel" referring to the post you were all quoting. I'm a father of three young kids, it irks me when I see any such suggestion.

Nean

Just going down the list:
  • Wifi - Yes, however I've found that networkwide the quality poor, with my data often having better speeds (and coverage) than the onboard service.
  • Plug Sockets - Definite yes! I often end up working or just watching something on my Laptop so if I'm on a journey >2 hours it's needed!
  • First Class - Whilst nice, trains are crowded enough as it is. Nothing infuriates me more than a Full+Standing 185 turning up and first class being deserted but not declassified. I'd be fine with a premium economy 2+2 affair with a couple of rows of seats sacrificed for legroom.
  • Buffet - It takes up space and I'm not leaving my seat and things behind.
  • Trolley - Yes, as it assuages my previous points against Buffets!
  • Carriage End Doors - Definitely, I'm really not a fan of 1/3 doors as I don't like being doused in a mass of cold air, especially when the carriage tends to be warm enough to only require a T-shirt.
  • Information Displays - Yes. I like being able to read information if I miss announcements (especially when there's a particularly rowdy crowd in the carriage).
  • Reservations - Yes (but with some reservations!) I really dislike the "reserve enroute" system. I won't go into it any further as there's an entire 300 page thread on it.
  • Quiet Carriage - Yes on long (trainlength-wise) services. Whilst oftentimes it's disobeyed to a certain extent on the whole I find it much quieter and easier to concentrate (as well as normally less crowded) than other parts of the train.
I'm aware that certain members of the forum are probably sharpening their pitchforks for my opinion on First Class. I understand that some people are willing to pay a premium, however it annoys me that we're "running the railway to capacity" when up to 1/3 of the train isn't even being utilised to it's fullest extent.

Chester1

Established Member
I wouldn't ban kids from First Class but I do find it astounding that people pay for it for children. I don't think I had traveled first class until I got my first full time job. A large proportion of families in first class must be rail staff and their families traveling for free or heavily discounted. There are plenty of situations where I would pay extra to avoid being around children but its unrealistic to expect public transport to be one of them.

Train man

Free internet for all passengers and plug sockets including USB ports for your devices.

bangor-toad

And if you'd like to come up with any new ideas for rolling stock there's rather a lot of money available for you to have a go...
Each new idea can get between £250,000 and £350,000 including VAT. (Subject to the usual rules)

Demonstrating “Tomorrow’s Trains Today”
Do you have an innovative product or service ready for market exploitation, but has not yet been demonstrated in a real UK rail environment? Or are you a railway organisation with a vision to upgrade customer service experience on trains? If so, this First of a Kind (FoaK) competition may be for you.

The vision for this competition sees a train carriage fitted with a range of innovations, brought together under a single theme, such as improving accessibility, to give passengers am immersive experience of “Tomorrow’s Trains Today.”

These demonstrator carriages will also provide railway organisations and suppliers with evidence they need to:

• Overcome constraints to the delivery of innovations;
  • Create a more collaborative environment with innovative suppliers;
  • Collect valuable feedback from the public to accelerate the pull through of innovations;
  • Showcase the UK’s potential to deliver significantly improved passenger experiences for domestic and export markets

Have a look at: https://www.ktn-uk.co.uk/events/first-of-a-kind-rail-competition-briefing
Get your bids in on time!
Cheers,
Mr Toad

Wivenswold

Established Member
I'll vote for baby changing facilities, after all a good intercity train is one that caters for all and not just the few. Personally not a fan of First Class, you'll always get a more interesting story from someone who travels in Standard, they've lived a bit. Some of the dullest nights out I've had have been in VIP areas.

Last edited by a moderator:

STKKK46

I don’t see how baby changing facilities could possibly be a nuisance. The only ones I’ve even noticed are the ones on Voyagers and that’s the very last thing you need to worry about on those trains.

First class is great, I’ve spent a lot of time in there over my life. However it’s a choice for people to have. Realistically it should be available on Intercity services but with a Multiple Unit there’s either too little or too much first class, you’ll never please everyone.

Clansman

Established Member
In an ideal world you wouldn't need First Class because Standard would be of decent enough quality. However, in a day in age where seats are being rammed in closely onboard trains to maximise capacity, providing First Class shouldn't be an unnecessary feature onboard, for those wanting a more comfortable journey.

As much as First Class is great for the comfort and the quality of journey, you can't buy the great craic get through in standard if you're one for a good laugh during festival periods and football nights.

STKKK46

As much as First Class is great for the comfort and the quality of journey, you can't buy the great craic get through in standard if you're one for a good laugh during festival periods and football nights.

Oh I 100% agree, trust me! However, I just hope that how much of a good laugh you can have doesn’t get affected by the actions of a moronic few and the biased, generalised portrayal on a certain programme last night doesn’t change.

Clansman

Established Member
Oh I 100% agree, trust me! However, I just hope that how much of a good laugh you can have doesn’t get affected by the actions of a moronic few and the biased, generalised portrayal on a certain programme last night doesn’t change.

The actions of the moronic few are unacceptable when it comes to physical assault, smoking, and vandilism. But when the line is drawn, you can't beat a tipsy mass sing song aboard a full and standing last train home!

To relate it to the thread, this is when First Class is a blessing for many people who preffer to commute in a silent environment - especially during the likes of the Edinburgh Festival when standards rammed full of party goers. You could also say that unreserved coaches would confine such atmosphere, as well as ensuring that reserved areas are kept free from potentially uncivilised behaviours which are common on such nights.

To Mods advice, new thread about such discussion here.

Last edited:

Chester1

Established Member

Festival goers generally behave on the train but football fans have an increasing tendency to be act in a way that intimidates other passengers. The racist and anti semetic chants aside, the Dispatches program last night matched my experience of football fans heading to or from matches in Manchester and Greater Manchester in the last year or two. Its by no means all football fans but if a couple of hundred get on the train, there will be a dozen or so who are anti social. Personally id travel first class more often if I could afford it, especially at night or on match days. A key difference for me between a character and a troubler make is the tone of voice, many drunk fans chant in an aggressive tone and use language that is unacceptable. There is no need for it. E.g. there is a huge difference between Liverpool fans "treating" passengers to a rendition of YWNWA and singing songs about the Munich air crash. I have travelled to and from many football matches without totally losing it and being aggressive!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder this thread is to discuss what features you think should be on intercity trains.

Feel free to use an alternative thread (create one if there isn't one already) to discuss anything else.

If anyone has already gone off-topic, you can quote them in the new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.