• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What features should be on intercity trains?

What features should intercity trains have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick1984

I think a family area could be a good idea
play-area-640x404.jpg

Means that people who don't want to listen to screaming kids can sit in another carriage

Self- service buffets could be quite cool
200px-Dining_car_on_Swedish_X2000_train.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rick1984

Suppose in a way. Certainly vending machines on medium distance good idea

Mikey C

Established Member
It's interesting that plug sockets and wi-fi are top in the poll, with "seats aligned with windows" bottom, it shows how use of our electronic devices on the move and connectivity has become a massive part of modern life and our expectations

BanburyBlue

It'll make more money (or lose less) on two grounds:
1. It doesn't take a bit of the train up that could instead contain seats with paying passengers sitting in them.
2. It comes to you, so you're more likely to make an impulse purchase.

Well, the title of the thread is what features would you like on inter-city trains, not, what features would you like on inter-city trains but please don't post until you've done a business case to prove it's profitable!

I always preferred the onboard shops on Virgin XC, which were far superior to the trolley service that was implemented by XC. The choice was better, they had real coffee, hot food options etc.

I firmly believe that long distance trains should offer proper catering options. Can you imagine going on the old Aberdeen to Penzance with only a BLT sandwich to look forward to.

Mordac

Established Member
I think a family area could be a good idea
play-area-640x404.jpg

Means that people who don't want to listen to screaming kids can sit in another carriage

Self- service buffets could be quite cool
200px-Dining_car_on_Swedish_X2000_train.jpg

Even I am quite taken by CAF's concept for this in their Civity promotion materials:
03zona_polivalente.jpg

Great way to nurture future spotters! :D

Rick1984

It's win win. Keeps kids happy and everyone else gets some peace

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I firmly believe that long distance trains should offer proper catering options. Can you imagine going on the old Aberdeen to Penzance with only a BLT sandwich to look forward to.

I don't see a huge amount of point in the middle ground. On many occasions I've been in the position where I'd happily have paid through the nose for a 3-course sit down meal or DB Bistro style meal, I've also wanted to buy tea, coffee or pop and a choccy bar. But there is a better range and quality of cold food like sandwiches available elsewhere, I can't see why I'd buy one (or a microwaved gristleburger) on board.

So for me either a trolley (to make buying basics easier; quality filter coffee can be provided easily enough) or a sit down bistro/restaurant, but little point in just a buffet counter.

physics34

Established Member
It's interesting that plug sockets and wi-fi are top in the poll, with "seats aligned with windows" bottom, it shows how use of our electronic devices on the move and connectivity has become a massive part of modern life and our expectations

yeh, also considering what people were doing before handheld devices, laptops etc. Was everyone bored? Or is it the current fashion that we all have to be "connected" at all times to something.

TwistedMentat

yeh, also considering what people were doing before handheld devices, laptops etc. Was everyone bored? Or is it the current fashion that we all have to be "connected" at all times to something.

Books, papers, magazines, cards, etc. People have always wanted distraction from travel. Tablets and smartphones are just the latest version of it. You can find plenty of pictures of people in trains reading their papers and such.

Kite159

Veteran Member

The last few options on the poll were added after the poll had been started and had several votes.

Looking out of the window is important, however if you are travelling when dark there isn't a lot to look out at.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Personally I read a book or newspaper and listened to the radio. These days I would likely be doing similar activities but using an iPad (give or take reading this forum of course). No real change, just a change of medium.

MG11

Every intercity train should have around 3-4 carriages, more on key journeys, a refreshment trolley in Standard, selling sandwiches, snacks, drinks and cold salad meals (pre boxed), First Class accomodation with hosts & catering, thick walls for high crashworthiness (atleast 6 inches), Revenue Protection Officers, WiFi, Plug Sockets, toilets and dispatchers at every station.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Every intercity train should have around 3-4 carriages, more on key journeys, a refreshment trolley in Standard, selling sandwiches, snacks, drinks and cold salad meals (pre boxed), First Class accomodation with hosts & catering, thick walls for high crashworthiness (atleast 6 inches), Revenue Protection Officers, WiFi, Plug Sockets, toilets and dispatchers at every station.

I very much like the idea of cold salad boxes! It’s about time they introduced more food that isn’t junk! Nice one!

One thing though; I don’t think an IC train would cope with 3 or 4 carriages. XC are the only ones who run long distances with short formations and these struggle very much during busy periods - plus don’t have to go through London’s rush hours.

The current usual train formations:

Virgin Trains: 9 or 10 coach trains
(5 coaches on quieter services)

Virgin Trains EC: 9 coach trains

Great Western Railway: 8 or 10 coach trains (HST or IET’)

‘So far no IET out of Paddington is scheduled as five coaches before you say!

East Midlands Trains: 7 or 8 coach trains (Meridian and HST respectively) 4 or 5 coach trains on quiet services.

GA InterCity service: 9 coaches

:) ;)

MG11

I very much like the idea of cold salad boxes! It’s about time they introduced more food that isn’t junk! Nice one!

One thing though; I don’t think an IC train would cope with 3 or 4 carriages. XC are the only ones who run long distances with short formations and these struggle very much during busy periods - plus don’t have to go through London’s rush hours.

The current usual train formations:

Virgin Trains: 9 or 10 coach trains
(5 coaches on quieter services)

Virgin Trains EC: 9 coach trains

Great Western Railway: 8 or 10 coach trains (HST or IET’)

‘So far no IET out of Paddington is scheduled as five coaches before you say!

East Midlands Trains: 7 or 8 coach trains (Meridian and HST respectively) 4 or 5 coach trains on quiet services.

GA InterCity service: 9 coaches

:) ;)
I take your point, certainly Virgin would be crippled with four coaches. :) Passenger demand is quite varied on some intercity routes though, even in peak times, take EMT, 1C17 to London runs as a heavily loaded 10 car unit (2x 5 Coach Meridians), yet just 2 hours later and still a peak train, 1C27 runs as a 4 Coach Meridian and accomodates the passenger load perfectly, I guess my views are heavily influenced by my frequenting of the Midland Mainline though.

AY1975

Established Member
One thing that hasn't been mentioned on here so far is coat hooks. They are almost universal on long-distance trains in mainland Europe (in fact, some of their trains even have a proper wardrobe!). As far as UK trains are concerned, Voyagers and Pendolinos have them in both classes, and HSTs and Mark 4s usually have them in 1st but not in standard class. But people often put their coat or jacket on the luggage rack, or on an unoccupied seat if there is one alongside or opposite them.

There is a more general thread on missing but wished-for features on trains at www.railforums.co.uk/threads/missing-but-wished-for-features-on-trains.154918/

xotGD

Established Member
One thing that hasn't been mentioned on here so far is coat hooks. They are almost universal on long-distance trains in mainland Europe (in fact, some of their trains even have a proper wardrobe!). As far as UK trains are concerned, Voyagers and Pendolinos have them in both classes, and HSTs and Mark 4s usually have them in 1st but not in standard class. But people often put their coat or jacket on the luggage rack, or on an unoccupied seat if there is one alongside or opposite them.

There is a more general thread on missing but wished-for features on trains at www.railforums.co.uk/threads/missing-but-wished-for-features-on-trains.154918/
Coat hooks are great when the seats are properly aligned. Not so good when your coat is hanging in your face.

All Inter-City services should have reasonable off peak fares and enough off peak advance fares to encourage more use of the railways.

GWR seem to be severely lacking in either. Even looking 2 months in advance I struggle to find anything much cheaper than the £76 off peak walk up return fare to Cardiff from Paddington. Other operators seem to have some advance fares available up to the day before travel (Virgin WC, Chiltern).

I guess that's down to no regulation of this part of the market.

jimm

Established Member
Or down to Virgin and Chiltern having to work harder to fill seats on their trains - which is what cheap off-peak fares and heavily discounted advance fares are used for. 3tph between London and Birmingham and London and Manchester equals a lot of seats.
Not that fares have a place in this thread, which is about features on board trains, in the traction and rolling stock section.

Status
Not open for further replies.