• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What Happend to 91109?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam

91109 headed north through doncaster on a normal service then returned light engine with a huge dent in the light cluster. Anyone know what happend to this loco?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AJP

Beat me to it!! :lol:

ye63mu.jpg

:?

Check the massive dent!!

Sam

Wow you was there too? I was in the big group of lads. Whilst looking at my shots i noticed there was a big red mess, that rules out object..

AlexS

Established Member
I would suspect it had a collision either with a deer of some description, or with a larger bird (IE a kestrel or similar). Won't have been able to continue running wedge end first in passenger service because it appears to have damaged the light cluster as well as the frame (but can run in reverse because at least one red light is still working).

AlexS

Established Member
You would be very surprised what a fair sized British bird of prey can do. Even hitting a pidgeon can do a lot of damage to a road vehicle, these things tend to be the size of dogs or even bigger.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
you lot should have said you were going to Donny!

Baggy was there too.

Scott Lowes was meant to be there (no idea if he did as he was meant to turn up at York and never did and didn't contact us).

I might have gone if I'd known there were a few of us there.

AlexS said:
I would suspect it had a collision either with a deer of some description, or with a larger bird (IE a kestrel or similar). Won't have been able to continue running wedge end first in passenger service because it appears to have damaged the light cluster as well as the frame (but can run in reverse because at least one red light is still working).

a kestrel is a tiny bird with a wing span of only 30cm, it couldnt have done that much damage. a bird would have to be atlease 2foot wing span to do any damage

AJP

yorkie said:
you lot should have said you were going to Donny!

Baggy was there too.

Scott Lowes was meant to be there (no idea if he did as he was meant to turn up at York and never did and didn't contact us).

Scott was there, I wasnt expecting him there just bumped into him :lol:
I might have gone if I'd known there were a few of us there.

AlexS

Established Member
Take it from me - if you hit a larger bird (and a kestrel WILL do it), a dog, or a deer, or even a cow/sheep in a train, you are looking at some possible major damage to lights, brakes etc. A coach I was on hit a small (I mean Jack Russel sized) dog once, and the radiator promptly went pop. That was through metal bodywork. Consider the fact that a 91s light cluster cover is made of plastic, and the horngrill some lightweight metal (notice they are always bent), and it doesn't take much to do some nasty cosmetic damage, especially at 125 mph. A 2 pound pidgeon hitting you at 125mph would kill you, and it *can* do some damage to machines, too.

TheSlash

Established Member
I've seen pigeons come through cab windows on 90mph units, so 125mph you'd be thankfull it hit the light cluster and not the window

Sprog

Established Member
Sorry to be the grim one, but me and James where talking about this today, and we thought it could have been a one under...??

Established Member
My dads hit a cow at 60 just passed battle down flyover going towards salisbury in a 47!!!

Sam

spm_43030 said:
Sorry to be the grim one, but me and James where talking about this today, and we thought it could have been a one under...??

I thought that because as the driver got out to inspect it the damage was at his head height. However i am sure they would not park it in view of the passengers if it was a fatality

Sprog

Established Member
True, true.....i also mentioned this poitn in the discussion. Youd think they cover it with Tarpaulin or something. Also, james said it looked look the nose had been given a 'clean'. BUt really......how many punters look across a yard. They are usually just interested in themseleves. It was quite far back in the yard, so possibly it was only there temporarily...(lack of space in the works etc.???)

TheSlash

Established Member
You normally take the whole set out when you hit a large animal or person.
You have to do an underframe 'clean' {specially trained people who volunteer} followed by an underframe inspection. If it was a person, you then need to do brake tests etc.
Alex, it would be everywhere if it had hit a large animal or person, trust me. I'm sure there are bits in the rule book and company policy about screening vehicles that are involved with a fatality

metrocammel

Im sure its a bird - its the right size and everything.

I once saw a bird wrapped around the pantograph of 90027 on the Man - Brum at Piccadilly once. The driver was obviously not worried it could affect the pan, as the 90 then pushed out as usual, but it was a pretty grim sight on the pan - 24,000v sizzled pigeon pie anyone!?

:shock:

James

Status
Not open for further replies.