• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What happened to the 14:30 from Manchester Piccadilly (19/01)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1955LR

Yesterday (Sun 19/01/20) I looked to purchases an Off Peak return Leominster (LEO) to Manchester Piccadilly (MAN) using the TFW web site .

I selected 10:01 departure LEO to MAN , which required a change of train from TFW to Aventi at Crewe , return 14:30 direct MAN to LEO. arrival 16:29 on TFW .

Booked tickets at 08:46.

Returning I arrived at MAN at about 14:00 to get the 14:30 and no evidence on departures board . Queried this and was told to take next train to Crewe and pick up TFW Swansea train coming from Manchester Oxford road.

Arrived at LEO 59 Mins later than planned, so put in an online delay repay on TFW website.

It recognised the 14:30 train as a selection for refund.

Does anyone know what happened between , my time of booking and the departure ? Did the service ever really exist ?

The gentleman I was sitting next to on the train had also had exactly the same issue having booked his ticket to travel from Hull to Craven arms. using the 14:30 MAN departure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
The line was blocked through Stockport on Sunday 19 January, and all trains between Manchester and Wilmslow used the Styal Line. In order to reduce the total number of trains going that way, most Manchester-Cardiff services started from (and terminated at) Wilmslow. Here's your "14:30" train which started from Wilmslow: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y90632/2020-01-19/detailed

It ran as booked and so you were advised to go on a different service to Crewe from Manchester Piccadilly (you could have taken a bus to Wilmslow, but that wouldn't have helped much) and you then connected into the 15:17 from Manchester Oxford Road which went via Warrington to provide a through services from Manchester which also avoided the Styal line: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y90633/2020-01-19/detailed

Presumably the engineering works and consequential train alterations were implemented after you booked your ticket, or you didn't check the changes because of them (or they weren't shown) when you did.

EDIT: I didn't read your post carefully enough; you clearly state that you looked up and bought your tickets on the day of travel, so you shouldn't have been shown the non-existent service for your return journey.

Obviously if you'd known you could have gone to Oxford Road for the 15:17 departure rather than Piccadilly.

But, no, your "14:30" departure from Manchester Piccadilly didn't exist yesterday.

Last edited:

jfollows

Established Member
Also, the engineering work over-ran and caused disruption on Monday morning, however I don't believe that it was originally planned to finish by 14:30 Sunday anyway. The down slow between Adswood Road Junction and Edgeley Junction appears to be blocked today which I believe to be because of the engineering work over-run, but fortunately this shouldn't impose significant disruption on train services today.

jfollows

Established Member
Finally, I looked at the timetable for next Sunday which I attach (I can't get yesterday's timetable any more of course), when it appears that similar engineering work is taking place. It's no consolation to you now, I know, and hopefully you'll get a refund from TFW if they told you that the service was different.

Attachments

• Manchester to Leominster Sunday 26 January.pdf
    132 KB · Views: 10

1955LR

Thanks all for your input, being new to all this its an eye opener as there all the information resides.

1955LR

Just to add an update .
Tfw has reimbursed me the whole return ticket price on the basis of 120+ mins delay ! . I did query this as only the return journey was affected, with the following reply:-

Thank you for submitting an appeal for your delay repay claim. I would like to thank you for your honesty. Please keep the additional compensation as a goodwill gesture.
We appriciate this may be disappointing for you. To understand more about how our Delay Repay scheme works and the National Conditions of Travel please visit our
www.tfwrail.wales.

Kind Regards,
Delay Repay Team
Transport for Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.