• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What happened to the proposed HS1-HS2 link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
A slightly big problem for the business case for HS2 NoL services will be the shift to hybrid and electric short-haul aircraft. These won't kill off HSR, since they'll still be unable to provide as quick and high-quality a service into dense urban environments. However, there won't be any significant environmental case against general short-haul aviation. That's the only thing the government could really use to justify subsidising any NoL HS services and not advancing short-haul aviation.

Yes - and how will these electric planes overcome the laws of physics that currently prevent feasible battery electric passenger aircraft outside of Elon Musk's fever dreams?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

camflyer

You might care to note the British Library has a seven story basement, with the Victoria Line through the middle!

What with the British Library, the Crick Institute and the existing Tube lines an underground route was always going to be very difficult and expensive but there have been evaluations of possible above ground options including a monorail similar to that which links the terminals at Gatwick though I'm not sure what the latest is on these plans. This is the latest document I could find:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives....i/highspeedrail/proposedroute/apm/pdf/apm.pdf

MarkyT

Established Member
What with the British Library, the Crick Institute and the existing Tube lines an underground route was always going to be very difficult and expensive but there have been evaluations of possible above ground options including a monorail similar to that which links the terminals at Gatwick though I'm not sure what the latest is on these plans. This is the latest document I could find:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives....i/highspeedrail/proposedroute/apm/pdf/apm.pdf

That would have been some kind of automated people mover shuttle as employed widely at airports. Usually rubber tyred mechanically steered 'trough' guideway systems rather than traditional straddle or hanging monorails. These are more easily switched, sometimes via an on-board mechanism. A problem with an elevated solution is the visual intrusion of the necessarily quite large structure to support the vehicles, which can range between minibus and tram or small metro size. Also vehicles passing at high levels could also overlook private dwellings at upper floor levels in such an urban setting, affording views into bedrooms etc. That might lead to calls for an entirely enclosed shuttle system, which therefore might as well be underground to avoid the visual intrusion. Maybe one of Musks latest 'Boring Company' ideas. A very short 'hyperloop', or just a 'loop' anyone?
https://www.boringcompany.com/
BTW Just to be clear I'm not some kind of Elon fanboy!

Whilst it is unlikely ever to be a market for travel between Europe and Birmingham/Manchester/Liverpool/Leeds to warrant a direct connection between HS1 and HS2, could there conceivably be sufficient demand between Stratford/Ebbsfleet/Kent and Old Oak Common/The North to warrant a connection between HS1 and HS2? i.e. if I wanted to go from Stratford to Birmingham international I could get a direct train.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Whilst it is unlikely ever to be a market for travel between Europe and Birmingham/Manchester/Liverpool/Leeds to warrant a direct connection between HS1 and HS2, could there conceivably be sufficient demand between Stratford/Ebbsfleet/Kent and Old Oak Common/The North to warrant a connection between HS1 and HS2? i.e. if I wanted to go from Stratford to Birmingham international I could get a direct train.

Agreed. It makes sense to connect the high speed lines up at some point. Thameslink is about joining up routes and will hopefully work out okay eventually.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Stratford (specifically) to HS2 will be easy enough via Crossrail/Old Oak Common.

For the rest, its a walk/transfer from St Pancras to Euston.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Stratford (specifically) to HS2 will be easy enough via Crossrail/Old Oak Common.

For the rest, its a walk/transfer from St Pancras to Euston.

An easy walk via the 'back way' but not the nicest at night. Better when CR2 is built.

Status
Not open for further replies.