• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What Happened to "What Really Happened to Steam" ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

steambuffer

While we are at it......

There was an article in Railway Magazine in November 2009, that a research group had been set up to identify all the errors in various steam locomotive scrapping lists/booklets produced over the years. Examples such as "a locomotive was seen and noted in the scrapyard of a company, but it was re-sold to another scrappy elsewhere, who actually cut it up, but it was spotted, consequently the loco was recorded twice" etc, etc.

There is still some postings on the internet for "WRHTS" but much of it is quite old. A request to the given e-mail address went unanswered, probably the research published their findings, which I'm not aware of?

Steambuffer

(Memo to self, I should not have so much spare time to waste over the Christmas holidays....)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clarence Yard

Established Member
If you go to their website and look at the PDFs of all the ESS articles, there are some mentions of how they are doing. It looks as if 2020 will be there last year of research and it could be the book on GWR locos which will be first.

From my own knowledge, the BR (Swindon) records of sale/scrap of GWR engines are fairly good, nearly all of which are easily accessible in the National Archives at Kew.

WesternLancer

Established Member
While we are at it......

There was an article in Railway Magazine in November 2009, that a research group had been set up to identify all the errors in various steam locomotive scrapping lists/booklets produced over the years. Examples such as "a locomotive was seen and noted in the scrapyard of a company, but it was re-sold to another scrappy elsewhere, who actually cut it up, but it was spotted, consequently the loco was recorded twice" etc, etc.

There is still some postings on the internet for "WRHTS" but much of it is quite old. A request to the given e-mail address went unanswered, probably the research published their findings, which I'm not aware of?

Steambuffer

(Memo to self, I should not have so much spare time to waste over the Christmas holidays....)

I recall updates get published in the ESS journal from time to time. You may be able to get a contact response via them if the e mail you have used has failed.
https://www.engineshedsociety.co.uk/

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
This is a list of the contacts from their web site:

Project Contacts

The HSBT Project team may be contacted as below. Please note that, for the time being, messages to Roger Butcher, Peter Trushell and Richard Morton will be received and coordinated by Keith Gunner.
6019.jpg

Although the web site is copyrighted for 2019, it doesn't seem to have been updated for many years, so I don't know what's happening with the project.

(Apologies if you know already about this!)

WesternLancer

Established Member
One or two of those listed are ESS cttee members and other e-mails and I think phone numbers are included in their journal. PM me if you would like such an e-mail address. I don't think it would be appropriate for me to post that here.

markrobinson

While we are at it......

Steambuffer

The committee seem to be 'popping their clogs'. They have stalled too long in publishing their books. Suppose they thought it a lot easier. Pity Peter Hands is not here to give them some criticism like they gave to him. Now they know what a difficult task they undertook. Remember they only need ONE error in their books to cast a shadow over their research!

Status
Not open for further replies.