• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What happens if a train driver gets a nosebleed or needs the toilet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilric

Sorry to butt in. I am new to site. How do I start a thread. I have looked in help and it says click on new thread. But that is not on my page. Can anyone help please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

michael769

Established Member
When I drove buses in London there were staff toilets dotted about London for the convenience of bus drivers, conductors, taxi drivers etc. There was usually one at the terminus too.

Outside of the big cities such facilities are the exception rather than the norm. I vaguely remember from my childhood when conductors were still on the buses, drivers nipping into the public loos in the town centre. But in the days of one man operation while you were allowed to leave the bus in an emergency (provided you took the money with you) it was strongly discouraged to leave the bus unattended and you needed a really good excuse.

Most services buses I drove did not have any locks or keys - the ignition was a knob, so there was no way to prevent someone just driving off with the bus, other than the passengers on board.

Smudger105e

I was told a 'toilet' story a while ago by one of the old hands. Apparently there was a steam loco driver in a yard who needed a dump, so he squatted down by the side of his tender at track level to do his business.

While he was there, his colleagues went the other side of the tender, and passed a long firebox shovel through, positioning it under the drivers bum. When the driver had finished, he stood up, and the shovel was extracted. Apparently the driver spend ages looking for where it had gone!!

WCMLaddict

I was told a 'toilet' story a while ago by one of the old hands. Apparently there was a steam loco driver in a yard who needed a dump, so he squatted down by the side of his tender at track level to do his business.

While he was there, his colleagues went the other side of the tender, and passed a long firebox shovel through, positioning it under the drivers bum. When the driver had finished, he stood up, and the shovel was extracted. Apparently the driver spend ages looking for where it had gone!!

That is naughty! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.