• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What happens if I miss the last connection of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kier

Hi,

I am looking to attend the Charlton Athletic vs Nottingham Forest fixture next Wednesday night at Charlton and then get the last train back to Nottingham at 23:08 from St Pancras.

My worry is getting delayed on the way to St Pancras and missing the last train and being stranded in London. I understand that if I buy a Nottingham - Charlton return then they would be obliged to get me home but does this apply if I buy a return with a travel card included?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hello there,
Would you be looking to be on the 2210 TL, Charlton - St Pancras (West Hampsted), to connect with the 2308 St Pancras - Nottingham?
I understand that a super off-peak Travelcard is £73.50 and that a super off-peak return (NOT-CTN) is £74.00 (current advances available at £29.50 (1545 from Nottingham) and £33.50 (2210 from CTN / 2308 from STP). £66.00 Advance Singles.

50 pence, is not a bad price for absolute security of getting home. But if you were wanting to use the Travelcard for other purposes, I can see your predicament.

I think you've raised an interesting question, and would like to know where one stands also.
Very sorry for not being able to help though, there are those who can! :)

if I buy a return with a travel card included?
Also, sorry I forgot to say, you either buy a return (Nottingham - Charlton) or a Travelcard, valid for a journey from Nottingham to Zones 1-6 and a return journey to Nottingham, plus unlimited Zone 1-6 travel.

hkstudent

Established Member
No. It doesn't matter which ticket you are holding.
Even if you use Oyster Pay-As-You-Go from Charlton to St. Pancras and got delayed, you have still entitled a missed connection treatment.

I think, as long as you can quote the station and departure time, you won't be challenged. London Travelcard gives you better flexibility. Also, St. Pancras have 24-hour staff from Thameslink, so there shouldn't be any problem.

London Zone 1-6 Travelcard menas that you can travel unlimitedly within London zones 1-6 on the day with any public transport mode including bus, underground, DLR and National Rail.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I fail to see how it would make a difference which ticket is held.

It would be a good idea to obtain a travel itinerary just in case you do encounter any difficulties; an itinerary obtained in conjunction with a ticket is clear evidence of your contractual rights, and proves the connection was valid.

I fail to see how it would make a difference which ticket is held.

It would be a good idea to obtain a travel itinerary just in case you do encounter any difficulties; an itinerary obtained in conjunction with a ticket is clear evidence of your contractual rights, and proves the connection was valid.

I think it comes down to perception - namely rocking up late with a travelcard and claiming delay en route (EMT staff thinking they're trying it on) versus actually being delayed en route with a return / advance ticket from Charlton.
But as you say, having the itenary from Charlton - Nottingham would provide further light on the route and journey taken and provide easy access to ascertaining the delay has infact occured.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think it comes down to perception - namely rocking up late with a travelcard and claiming delay en route (EMT staff thinking they're trying it on) versus actually being delayed en route with a return / advance ticket from Charlton.
But as you say, having the itenary from Charlton - Nottingham would provide further light on the route and journey taken and provide easy access to ascertaining the delay has infact occured.
Exactly; if I wanted there to be no doubt my connection was valid, I would not be looking to buy a less flexible fare at a higher price, but I would instead be obtaining an itinerary with my intended trains, as clear evidence of the contract.

I had a quick look at Traintickets.com and Trainsplit.com, using the 1112 from Nottingham and the 2210 from Charlton; the former does not find any splits but is offering Advance fares for £67 return. Trainsplit offers a combination of flexible fares, including a Travelcard, for a total of £68.15, with the only requirement that the train calls at Kettering and Bedford (which the last journey opportunity does).

The saving is £5.85; for this you get more flexibility in London to go anywhere you want; the downside is that you lose the ability to go via Grantham or to get a train that is fast from Market Harborough to St Pancras. So it really depends on what your plans for the day are.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
No. It doesn't matter which ticket you are holding.
Even if you use Oyster Pay-As-You-Go from Charlton to St. Pancras and got delayed, you have still entitled a missed connection treatment.
Turn up at Charlton station with PAYG and find the train cancelled, get to St Pancras having missed the connection with a ticket from there, then try and claim a taxi.

Please update us on how you get on.

My advice is clear, in order of preference: Advances/(Super) Off-Peaks to/from Charlton, outboundary Travelcard from Nottingham, returns from Nottingham to London with a separate inboundary Travelcard. In theory there should be no difference between the three but I agree that on practicality considerations they could involve varying degrees of ease/hassle even if in most cases you would be fine regardless. Worth bearing in mind if the difference is small.

Kier

Thanks for all your advice - much appreciated.

Out of interest would they arrange overnight accommodation or put me in a taxi back to Nottingham?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A taxi from Leicester is probably the most likely outcome, if that happens

Kier

Thanks again.

I have just looked on East Midlands Trains' website and for some reason it does not bring up the Super Off Peak Return Travelcard ticket (normally £73.50) as a ticket option. I wanted to go out on the 10:45 from Nottingham and return on the 22:10 from Charlton. It also does not offer it when just searching for a Nottingham - London return either?

Does anyone know why this is?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Looking at the electronic data on Br Fares the Super Off Peak Travelcard is only available at weekends.

Kier

Fair enough.

Just one last question - on a Super Off Peak Return are you allowed more than one break in the journey?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If break of journey is allowed, then you may break an unlimited number of times, as long as you don't backtrack.

Kier

Hi,

I have a query about travelling on Saturday 24th. I have purchased a super off peak travelcard return on Saturday - reserved seats on the 6:40 from Nottingham - London St Pancras and return on the 22:00.

I was not aware of King's Cross being closed and EMR are advising against travelling. Crowded trains do not bother me but as I reservation am I guaranteed a seat even if the train is exceptionally busy. I have been on the trains before and both are quiet services so I find it hard to imagine there being a problem boarding. I just wanted to know if the train was so full I could not get my reserved seat or even board would there an obligation on EMR to arrange alternative travel from London to Nottingham as this is the last train of the night?

Thanks again.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi,

I have a query about travelling on Saturday 24th. I have purchased a super off peak travelcard return on Saturday - reserved seats on the 6:40 from Nottingham - London St Pancras and return on the 22:00.

I was not aware of King's Cross being closed and EMR are advising against travelling. Crowded trains do not bother me but as I reservation am I guaranteed a seat even if the train is exceptionally busy. I have been on the trains before and both are quiet services so I find it hard to imagine there being a problem boarding. I just wanted to know if the train was so full I could not get my reserved seat or even board would there an obligation on EMR to arrange alternative travel from London to Nottingham as this is the last train of the night?

Thanks again.
I doubt you will have huge difficulty obtaining a seat at those times of day, especially not if you arrive early at the stations.

If all seats are taken and your reservation is not honoured I would first approach the Guard; they might upgrade you to First in light of your reservation not being honoured. Failing that, if no seats are available at all, I expect EMR would provide compensation.

I wouldn't worry about boarding the 0640 at Nottingham but if I was trying to board the train at Market Harborough (0726) I would be concerned!

Status
Not open for further replies.