• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What happens if you're not included in a recent training course?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBSN

I'm on of the lucky hand-full of trainee train driver applicants that are currently waiting for a course date and medical (for Leeds station) I was told at interview that they will have a course running both in June and July this year.

My question is; what happens if you pass the medical but still don't find yourself on a course?

Are you then put in a talent pool? for how long? can you stay in the pool until your assessment day pass 'licence' expires? (5 years)?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave999

The Medical lasts 3 years and I believe the tests do also so in principle that's the max time you would wait.

Should be sooner though as generally you are put through for a medical when they have a course on the horizon.

LETHLFH

Not sure about current process as Arriva took over franchise in April. Northern Rail interviews used to expire after 9 months therefore the maximum time you could spend in a talent pool was 9 months although I'm sure there were exceptions.

Shrimper

I'm pretty sure it's longer than that; I know people who spent over 12 months in the talent pool - though there was no further recruitment during that period so I think they 'drained' the pool rather than running further recruitment processes.

Louby

I'm pretty sure it's longer than that; I know people who spent over 12 months in the talent pool - though there was no further recruitment during that period so I think they 'drained' the pool rather than running further recruitment processes.

If you have had a medical it will be imminent , I was in the pool for over 2 yrs

Fred Dinenage

You could give them a ring, that'd kill any ambiguity. Getting a straight answer might not be so easy though :P

LETHLFH

What I stated earlier regarding 9 months I'm convinced is correct as I have seen friends hopes built up and then they have missed out or had to re-interview when applying again, although I think this recruitment practice was specific to Northern Rail (not sure whether Arriva have changed this or not.) I am aware from this forum other Toc's talent pools seem to last a number of years.

Louby

What I stated earlier regarding 9 months I'm convinced is correct as I have seen friends hopes built up and then they have missed out or had to re-interview when applying again, although I think this recruitment practice was specific to Northern Rail (not sure whether Arriva have changed this or not.) I am aware from this forum other Toc's talent pools seem to last a number of years.

It is correct ( was 6 months with northern originally ) I just had a re interview

RBSN

Apparently those that are deemed fit for the role (pun intended) will be invited to the medical from late this week. We might all have our answers within two weeks!

Si_leeds

As far as I'm aware your not sent for medical until they've got you a start date in mind. Or it'd be a waste of money

Status
Not open for further replies.