• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What happens when you miss a train with an Advance ticket (because of a prior delay)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
As collybs indicated to you, the first question & answer should provide you with all the assurance you need. Here it is again

Thanks but that Q4 doesn't say anything about delayed services.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So if an Advance+Advance combination can be classed as a single journey, it seems reasonable that an Anytime+Advance combination can be classed as a single journey. :)

So why is advice often given on here to people wanting to split their AP ticketed journey to make sure they allow enough connection time, as if they miss their second train they will have to buy a new ticket?

Sorry, still confused.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

All Line Rover

Established Member
So why is advice often given on here to people wanting to split their AP ticketed journey to make sure they allow enough connection time, as if they miss their second train they will have to buy a new ticket?

Because a through ticket always leaves the minimum connection time between services, so that you are unlikely to miss a connecting service.

When you split tickets, you must still leave the minimum connection time at stations where you change tickets - otherwise the TOC will not be liable for missed connections.

The minimum connection time for Crewe is 10 minutes (http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/cre/details.html), so I'm fine since I have a connection time of over 30 minutes.

If I booked two tickets with a connection time of just 5 minutes at Birmingham New Street, and I missed that connection, the TOC wouldn't be liable since the minimum connection time for that station is 12 minutes (which is a bit excessive in my opinion).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks but that Q4 doesn't say anything about delayed services.

Q4 simply states that a combination of Advance tickets can make a through journey. There is then other information in "The Manual" about what happens when you miss a connection in a through journey.

Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
I concede defeat :lol:. Thanks for your patience everyone. I really have learnt something today.

It could be a whole new ball game now, finding the cheapest way to get somewhere! Searching out AP tickets to and from every station along the route. It's not for the faint hearted, this rail journey planning, is it?

SS4

Established Member
If I booked two tickets with a connection time of just 5 minutes at Birmingham New Street, and I missed that connection, the TOC wouldn't be liable since the minimum connection time for that station is 20 minutes (which is a bit excessive in my opinion).

[stn]BHM[/stn] is a 12 minute connection which is much better. IMO your biggest issue there is the folk in front that don't appear understand that platform 3 is next to platform 2!

All Line Rover

Established Member
[stn]BHM[/stn] is a 12 minute connection which is much better. IMO your biggest issue there is the folk in front that don't appear understand that platform 3 is next to platform 2!

So it is. :oops: Still a bit excessive in my opinion - at least for us who can walk quite fast! (Should be 10 minutes maximum). :)

Yesterday morning I made a Platform 4b to Platform 10 connection in 3 minutes, and in the afternoon I made a Platform 5b to Platform 4b connection in 10 seconds (and thank goodness for that, as the XC train was running 25 minutes late - I had a 30 minute connection!).

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Sorry, still confused.

The Advanced FAQ page was only published a week ago. It has clarified one of the major undocumented issues so you shouldn't now see the same cautious advice which has been given in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.