• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What have i missed

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Due to being pretty much the busiest i have ever been in my life i have had to resist browsing the forum since pretty much the KWVR diesel gala.

What have i missed railway wise? has anything big happened that my recent browsing has failed to show up?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
Rain, rain, rain, more rain, did I mention rain?

Thus, flooding, landslips, derailments....so not much really :P

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I think the whole weather situation can be best summarised with that double Virgin Voyager from Birmingham New Street to Glasgow Central. Stuck in the Lakes somewhere with a landslip ahead and a flood behind. After some of the flood was cleared reversed back to Preston, before diverting via Leeds and the Settle and Carlisle. Having passed Lockerbie one of the sets caught fire, and the passengers had to transfer to the front unit.

Don't believe the media for the delay though. The overall time became confused with a London Euston to Glasgow Central service which diverted via the Cumbrian Coast.

Meanwhile the ECML was also closed due to a landslip at Berwick. Clearly the S&C and the Cumbrian Coast are made of stronger stuff!

Crossover

Established Member
Oh wow - didn't realise that a Virgin service diverted via the Cumbrian Coast - I assume route conducted?

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Oh wow - didn't realise that a Virgin service diverted via the Cumbrian Coast - I assume route conducted?

I didn't hear it myself but I'm sure I read someone saying Radio 5 Live had a reporter on board. Whatever came of that report of a 57 catching light too?

Crossover

Established Member
I didn't hear it myself but I'm sure I read someone saying Radio 5 Live had a reporter on board. Whatever came of that report of a 57 catching light too?

Didn't hear about a 57 catching fire - the usual locos for that are the 70's!

Temple Meads

Established Member
There were threads about Pacers, Voyagers, the HST replacement, guards not checking tickets, and a thread about suicides got someone banned.

Bet you didn't expect any of that? :P

VTPreston_Tez

You've also missed a rant about football players earning money, and maybe a bit of banter (it depends what you call banter though)

sprinterguy

Established Member
I think the whole weather situation can be best summarised with that double Virgin Voyager from Birmingham New Street to Glasgow Central. Stuck in the Lakes somewhere with a landslip ahead and a flood behind. After some of the flood was cleared reversed back to Preston, before diverting via Leeds and the Settle and Carlisle. Having passed Lockerbie one of the sets caught fire, and the passengers had to transfer to the front unit.

Don't believe the media for the delay though. The overall time became confused with a London Euston to Glasgow Central service which diverted via the Cumbrian Coast.
That's not the case. According to the actual details that were eventually unravelled in the "Weather" thread at the time after hours of frantic rumour and hearsay, only one train was diverted away from the WCML, and none ran via the Cumbrian Coast. There were three Virgin Trains services directly affected by the landslips in the Lake District:

The 17:20 Birmingham to Glasgow Central was formed of a pair of 221s. This services was delayed by 27 minutes at Preston while the decision was taken to divert the train via the Settle & Carlisle line, as the landslip at Tebay was known about. The service accrued considerable additional delay minutes as a result of undertaking the lengthy diversion via the S&C, rejoining the WCML at Carlisle. The front unit of this pair of Voyagers then suffered a traction motor fire near Lockerbie. Passengers were transferred to the rear unit and the train eventually arrived at Glasgow at 02:44.

The 11:30 London Euston to Glasgow Central became stranded between two landslips north of Oxenholme, with the Tebay slip ahead of it. Eventually, the train was able to make it's way back to Lancaster, and then it is assumed that passengers were able to continue onwards to Preston to join the 17:20 Birmingham - Glasgow, which is where the media reports of a fifteen hour journey time from London to Glasgow have arisen from.

The 18:40 Glasgow Central to London Euston was stopped at Penrith as the Tebay landslip became known about. The train ran into difficulties while attempting to return north to Carlisle, in order to allow passengers to access other connections, and 57314 was despatched and eventually dragged the stricken train into Carlisle. Rumours that 57314 caught fire while en route to rescue the 18:40 Glasgow - Euston are unconfirmed, and seem more likely to have arisen out of confusion with the incident concerning the 17:20 Birmingham to Glasgow.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Whether or not it actually happened (and I doubt it did), are Voyagers or 390s (and 57s) actually cleared via the Coast? Certainly no VT crews sign it, so they'd be under guidance by TPE and Northern staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.