• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What have they got to lose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derek

Can anyone explain why the TOC's are still firmly against joining in the TFL Oyster Pre Pay scheme. I know it boils down to money but can't something be worked out?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It has been worked out, TfL and the DfT are paying.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Oyster PAYG extension to NR will be completed during 2008.

Derek

Thanks for the info Mojo, what work would be required at the NR stations?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Installation of readers, or attaching readers to barriers - and (presumably) updating the fares database to either include zonal fares for NR London stations or thousands of different fares between each station.

metrocammel

Thanks for the info Mojo, what work would be required at the NR stations?

At the current moment the only "NR" ticket machines that are compatible with Oyster are the old APTIS machines, as there is no software for the newer machines, such as Triubute, to work with Oyster. The APTIS machines are now basically confined to the LUL/NR interchange stations (many purely for validating Oysters) . Ive heard this problem has been solved now, but Ive only heard that from one source, so I'm not 100% sure.

Tom C

As far as I can establish they cannot implement SMART and STAR to work with Oyster within the program itself. They have had to develop stand alone software to work with Oyster and a way to transfer the shift details into the existing structure.

It is amazing that new technology can only work with a 20 year old system that was running out of spaces for all the ticket types, only had fares from one station and 4MB worth of memory yet a 1GB computer cannot even handle a fare program efficiently.

Daniel

Established Member
Slightly on topic / off topic.
I'm thick, how do i get an Oyster card?

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tickets/oyster/general.asp

Where can I get Oyster?

Adults can order, renew and top up their Oyster card at our Oyster online shop. Customers can also visit a variety of TfL outlets or call the 24-hour Oyster salesline on 0870 849 9999.

* Please note, you can only renew your Travelcard or top up your Oyster card online or by phone if you are able to collect it from a Tube or DLR station. You will need to nominate which Tube or DLR station you want to collect it from.
* Place your order before 2300 and and you can pick it up the following morning. Simply touch your Oyster card on the card reader (not the ticket machines at Tube stations) and your order will be added to your Oyster card.
* You can set up an Auto top-up account online so that whenever the balance for pay as you go on your Oyster card falls below £5, it is topped up automatically. This can only be done at Tube and DLR stations. Auto top-up is not currently available on buses.

Status
Not open for further replies.