• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What historic livery is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
I've just been watching the below youtube video and in it is an early pacer in a livery I've never seen before. What livery is it please?

The relevant time to watch is 0:15s-0:20s;

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The same colour scheme as a chewy, minty sweet called a pacer !

(a bit like a minty opal fruit for the youngsters).

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The same colour scheme as a chewy, minty sweet called a pacer !

(a bit like a minty opal fruit for the youngsters).
The youngsters need to know that Opal Fruit is the former name for Starburst before they "did a Snickers" on it.

pieguyrob

The polo fruits weren't that bad, but, can't have been a big seller or they would still be around.

Bedpan

Established Member
View attachment 77924

.... were available when the 141's were in the original WYPTE livery.

I think I read somewhere that they were called Snickers from the word go in the US, being named after a horse owned by the Mars family. (Until then I had no idea that Mars was the surname of the founder, I had assumed that Mars was named after the planet rather like Milky Way being an astronomical name. (Or was Milky Way the name of the street they lived in perhaps? :!:<:D ).

Quite why on Earth they decided to market "Snickers" as "Marathon" for 60 odd years I have no idea.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
The Marathon name was briefly revived last year as some sort of promotion. AFAIK they were available in Morrisons but I never saw any.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Marathon has always seemed a better name for a chocolate bar than 'Snickers' which sounds too much as though it could be a plural or a verb to me. A 'Marathon' sounds like a physical thing.

As for 'Cif', it's always struck me as being too close to an STD for a cleaning product.

Committee man

There are some very funny replies on this thread which really gave me a good laugh, and believe me I could do with some at the moment so thanks.
On the subject of the mint 'Pacers' weren't they originally marketed as 'Opal mints', or did I imagine it? I'm not a big mint lover but thought they were pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.