• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is a ‘deep clean’?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnychips

Established Member
I have seen many times on the forum that carriages are going to have a ‘deep clean’ as part of refurbishment. What does this entail?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

talltim

Established Member
It varies. For Northern, it’s picking up the rubbish...

J4mez

I have seen many times on the forum that carriages are going to have a ‘deep clean’ as part of refurbishment. What does this entail?
I would recommend that one you have found out what a deep clean is, email Northern to tell them as they don’t have a clue :)

TheEdge

Established Member
Now time for a helpful reply.

As opposed to normal cleans which may just be a litter pick, wipe the tables, quick once over on the floor, antibac in the toilet they are far more involved.

They'll be at a maintaince depot, included things like window cleaning, wet dry or steam cleaning on the upholstery and floors, vicious chemicals in the toilets, maybe the CET tanks. Might include cleaning under the solebar. Walls, light fittings and advert frames off and cleaned.

Ideally after a deep clean they should be like new.

Aictos

Established Member

As opposed to normal cleans which may just be a litter pick, wipe the tables, quick once over on the floor, antibac in the toilet they are far more involved.

They'll be at a maintaince depot, included things like window cleaning, wet dry or steam cleaning on the upholstery and floors, vicious chemicals in the toilets, maybe the CET tanks. Might include cleaning under the solebar. Walls, light fittings and advert frames off and cleaned.

Also tanking the water tanks with water, cleaning the cabs, windscreens, overhead racks, removing graffiti, cleaning the bins themselves and yes this does mean taking them out and cleaning them etc...

A non deep clean for TL as a example:

emptying all the bins
wiping bin lids
litter picking
cleaning up any spillages be drink or vomit
toilets including seats, mirrors, toilet roll, sinks etc
tables in 1st
DOO cameras

Mikey C

Established Member
Also tanking the water tanks with water, cleaning the cabs, windscreens, overhead racks, removing graffiti, cleaning the bins themselves and yes this does mean taking them out and cleaning them etc...

A non deep clean for TL as a example:

emptying all the bins
wiping bin lids
litter picking
cleaning up any spillages be drink or vomit
toilets including seats, mirrors, toilet roll, sinks etc
tables in 1st
DOO cameras

Cleaning up vomit would surely be a more major task than the other activities listed, which presumably have to be done quickly to meet turnaround times?

Aictos

Established Member
Cleaning up vomit would surely be a more major task than the other activities listed, which presumably have to be done quickly to meet turnaround times?

The list of what I put is what is meant to be done IF the full time is available, obviously any cleaning up vomit takes full priority in much the same way that the toilets are more important then litter picking or emptying bins.

General overview of what I've observed at the maintenance depots...

- Automated wash plant (bodysides) and manual front end cleaning once on the fuel pad.
- Periodic manual hand bashing of the body sides.
- underframe washes for pre-exam, radiators unclogging and fatalities etc.
- daily interior litter pick, general wipe down, toilets, cabs and carpet vacuum.
- interior periodic heavy clean (as above but more comprehensive includes HVAC filter replacement, ceiling panels, bodyside panels, carpets buffed, stained seat cushion replaced for washing etc).
Exam tasks by techs also include removal and cleaning of the convention heater grills.

Also ad hoc stuff such as effluent leaks and when passengers decide to leave one in the sink.......

fgwrich

Established Member

I'm not sure how it works with some of the new design seats, but some of the older ones you could remove the moquette cover for dry cleaning / washing. SWT often used a local laundrette close to Salisbury Station and you'd often see the seat covers hanging in the window awaiting collection by the depot staff.

Carpets will also often be washed during a deep clean too.

Aictos

Established Member
General overview of what I've observed at the maintenance depots...

- Automated wash plant (bodysides) and manual front end cleaning once on the fuel pad.
- Periodic manual hand bashing of the body sides.
- underframe washes for pre-exam, radiators unclogging and fatalities etc.
- daily interior litter pick, general wipe down, toilets, cabs and carpet vacuum.
- interior periodic heavy clean (as above but more comprehensive includes HVAC filter replacement, ceiling panels, bodyside panels, carpets buffed, stained seat cushion replaced for washing etc).
Exam tasks by techs also include removal and cleaning of the convention heater grills.

Also ad hoc stuff such as effluent leaks and when passengers decide to leave one in the sink.......

Or wall to wall human waste...

Or wall to wall human waste...

Weekend nights.... they come on in all sorts of states.

The first thing that comes to my mind of a deep clean during refurbishment would mean cleaning all areas not normally accessible by the seats, racks etc.

AndrewP

I have not specified deep cleaning of trains but have for a great number of buildings.

A deep clean typically involves the removal of ingrained dirt whereas a normal clean involves removal of surface dirt. So for carpets and upholstery a normal clean would be Vacuuming but deep cleaning would be shampooing. The use of stronger chemicals is also normally involved.

I hope this helps

paulforrest123

Avanti pendolinos need a deep clean. Filthy stained carpets,stained seats and scratched fold down trays,dirty plastic seat backs,low level heating grills full of discarded food and greasy dust to name a few. Starting to smell stale in some carriages now . Don't think they've been cleaned since VT days.

Status
Not open for further replies.