• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is a nice route (leisure purposes) on the Southeastern network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vacuumfriends

I'm talking the best scenic route really. I've heard the Eynsford area has some nice scenery...any suggestions?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Tonbridge - Hastings , Swanley - Sevenoaks ......all very pleasant.

Not the North Kent line though.....

Established Member
Folkestone - Dover by the rail replacement bus is an interesting trip, the climb out of Folkestone gives good views.

The walk from Deal to Dover is a good stroll if active enough, excellent views over the port of Dover and of course the castle.

Sticking on the train Tonbridge to Hastings as suggested is possibly the best route.

Vacuumfriends

Thanks.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Folkestone - Dover by the rail replacement bus is an interesting trip, the climb out of Folkestone gives good views.

The walk from Deal to Dover is a good stroll if active enough, excellent views over the port of Dover and of course the castle.

Sticking on the train Tonbridge to Hastings as suggested is possibly the best route.

Thank you. I think I'll try the Tonbridge to Hastings.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The SE mainline is very bucolic between Tonbridge and Ashford. You can sample it at leisure as well as there's no chance of getting an express train on it anymore.

Tonbridge - Hastings is also very attractive (although IMO better done on the Thumper for the full effect).

The route between Folkestone and Dover is quite impressive (when it reopens).

paddock Wood - Strood has a charming rural quality quite in contrast to its position in the commuter belt.

My favourite is the Marshlink between Ashford and Hastings (which I still count as the South Eastern division, even though the Central nicked it about twenty years ago).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Yes, I still love the Victoria - Ashford stopper, although the Southern end beyond Maidstone East has been a bit disfigured by the M20 and HS1 in recent years.

Also only at its best when sampled from a VEP compartment.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Really isn't great. I do that run many many times a week and it's got an awful view. Even from my seat.

But a massive contrast to Saff East London - the slowly (actually quickly gentrifying areas of Crofton Park and Catford) - used to be a traffic desert - not now one gathers. ......:D

yorksrob

Veteran Member
But a massive contrast to Saff East London - the slowly (actually quickly gentrifying areas of Crofton Park and Catford) - used to be a traffic desert - not now one gathers. ......:D

Nah, they just all went from Catford Bridge instead!

backontrack

Established Member
The SE mainline is very bucolic between Tonbridge and Ashford. You can sample it at leisure as well as there's no chance of getting an express train on it anymore.

It's worth continuing to Canterbury West as well, the countryside's quite nice. I personally like the line between Faversham and Canterbury East too.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It's worth continuing to Canterbury West as well, the countryside's quite nice. I personally like the line between Faversham and Canterbury East too.

Yes, I would agree with both of these - Canterbury is worth a trip in itself (and a bag of chips from the shop opposite Waterstones !).

Canterbury - Faversham is nice, although having been based in Ashford for the first half of my existence, I didn't get to travel the Chatham main line very often.

backontrack

Established Member
TBH, not that scenic between Hythe and New Romney. It's OK between New Romney and Dungeness, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.