• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is a "toc X customer" anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

plugwash

Established Member
Last summer I (along with a couple of other people) went on holiday for a week in Newcastle on a Stockport to Newcastle via Sheffield off-peak return (for some reason there are no any-permitted tickets).

While we were in Newcastle a dam partially failed and fear of catastrophic failure of said dam caused the closure of the hope valley line. The result of this was that the normal services from Sheffield to Stockport/Manchester were cancelled. TPE did however run a special service from Sheffield to Manchester (but not Stockport) as an extension of their normal Manchester to Huddersfield service.

It would have been possible to travel from Newcastle to Sheffield and then board the special service to Manchester, but this would have resulted in a significantly increased journey time.

The advice for TPE customers gave a bunch of dispensations, but none of them seemed relevant to our journey. On the other hand the advice for East midlands trains customers said they could use transpennine express serivces via any reasonable route.

Normally 50% of the services between Stockport and Sheffield were TPE and 50% were EMT (now EMR), so did that make me both a TPE customer and an EMT customer?

(as it transpired we boarded a train from Newcastle to Manchester avoiding Sheffield and no one objected to our tickets)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
did that make me both a TPE customer and an EMT customer?
I think that's correct, yes. The Conditions of Carriage always used to say you had a contract with those TOCs whose trains your ticket entitled you to use, although looking through the NRCoT now I can't seem to find that bit any more; maybe it has inadvertently been removed in one of the "simplifications".

sheff1

Established Member
I think that's correct, yes. The Conditions of Carriage always used to say you had a contract with those TOCs whose trains your ticket entitled you to use, although looking through the NRCoT now I can't seem to find that bit any more; maybe it has inadvertently been removed in one of the "simplifications".

It is still there - first sentence in Part B.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
It is still there - first sentence in Part B.
Ah yes of course. I'd skipped over most of Part A and B as the table of contents made them look to be not part of the conditions "proper", but they clearly are.

Status
Not open for further replies.