• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is a train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Don't have it to hand as it's still at my parents house so can only go from memory, but IIRC "Clear Ahead" (the second of the three "God's Wonderful Railway" childrens books contains a paragraph or two about the the definition of a train according to the GWR.

The scene is in the Station Masters office at Highley station and the Station Master (Mr Jellicoe) is explaining to the Lad Porter (George Grant) what a train is and isn't. One thing that Mr Jellicoe was particular;y clear on was that "An engine itself is not a train."

Must try and dig out those books next time I visit
Which rather suggests that where this (https://images.app.goo.gl/auVDAPEUQM6RnC268 - a sign on the Great Western reading 'Beware of Trains') was displayed, the GWR was relaxed about members of the public getting run down by light engines.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

daveo

A key point is that trains don't have steering wheels, as they are guided by the rails. This is often news to kids* (in my experience) and leads to a few more questions.

*some adults too
As a guard on the East Lancs railway I often heard parents telling their children that - or indeed was asked by children if - the handbrake steered the train. From the middle!!!!!!

Essexman

Established Member
And what is a ‘fast train’?

Is at a train that runs at high speed (compared to others on the line?) or a train that doesn’t stop at a station (or more than one station)?

At Newton Abbott on Sunday it was announced that a ‘fast train’ was approaching platform two so please stand back. An engineering train with a locomotive at each end and conveying long lengths of rail passed through at walking pace, slowed by signals as a train from Paignton had just departed. it was questioned as to whether this was ‘fast’.

However, back to the original subject, the same announcement is made if a light locomotive passes through the station - a ‘fast train’.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I'd just like to add, I think the primary difference from any tram to any train (such as between a Manchester Tram, and a Newcastle Metro Train), is that the wheels are covered up on trams, while on trains the wheels are exposed. Whether the train or trams run in the street does not define the vehicle, a car in a field isn't a tractor due to it's location. A Sheffield Tram on the London Underground would still be a tram.

So with the trams and road trains excluded, a train is any vehicle or chain of vehicles that can operate on any form of railway (monorails included). Simple enough for the kids to understand.

DerekC

Established Member
The target audience was 6 yr old kids. They don't need all the weird and wonderful anomalies
Well, I did ask my six year old grandson and he gave me a very old fashioned look and said "a train's got wheels an' it goes on rails an' it's steam or diesel or 'lectric." So now you know!

XAM2175

Established Member
I think the primary difference from any tram to any train (such as between a Manchester Tram, and a Newcastle Metro Train), is that the wheels are covered up on trams, while on trains the wheels are exposed.
Where exactly do you draw the line? ;)

(Image of a DB series 101 locomotive with shrouded bogies)

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
That nice DB series 101 engine could be a tram by my reckoning if it was uncoupled, just like Toby the Tram from the Railway Series, no problem with Toby type engines being trams. However, with the exposed bogie wheels on the coupled passenger cars, it's a train at that point, even if a tram pulls it (or a horse or anything).

The Docklands Light Railway's vehicles are another one I thought of, they are often called trains, but I see no reasoning at all why they are more "trainy" than the trams at Rotherham?
I think the supreme court should rule on this important matter to clarify what exactly makes a tram.

Edit: I know street running doesn't happen on the DLR which some will argue is the reason, but neither does street running occur on other tramways such as Blackpool North Pier Tramway, Shipley Glen Tramway, or Scarborough Central Tramway etc. The vehicles and not the route is what counts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.