• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is being scrapped at Booths?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan125hst

Established Member
Does anyone know what is being scrapped at Booths in Rotherham, more specifically what was being scrapped last week? I shared a post on Facebook with photos of the Lets Go Round Again tour and a mate of mine messaged me saying that he drove past recently and thought he saw something being scrapped in that colour scheme. He believes it was a locomotive and 3 or 4 carriages but isn't 100% sure and couldn't get a photo as he was driving past on the way to work.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

warwickshire

On Moderation
Class 365 most certainly are there and numbers are in the 365 withdrawal thread for further information for 365 with dates sent there. Recent arrivals have been 365515 365541 and 365529 on 24 th December 2021. Only yesterday.
That is 365 from crewe.
However 365515 365541 would have been some scrapped last week. What 2022 brings who knows anyone's guess at the momment. Especially iff any 365 from Belmont yard Doncaster could end up there as these could possibly be the first off the queue to end up there early January 2022. For all we possibly could know.

Class 365 most certainly are there and numbers are in the 365 withdrawal thread for further information for 365 with dates sent there. Recent arrivals have been 365515 365541 and 365529 on 24 th December 2021. Only yesterday.
That is 365 from crewe.
However 365515 365541 would have been some scrapped last week. What 2022 brings who knows anyone's guess at the momment. Especially iff any 365 from Belmont yard Doncaster could end up there as these could possibly be the first off the queue to end up there early January 2022. For all we possibly could know.
Correction amongst the xmas party atmosphere on the 23rd off December 2021.
365529 arrived by 37800 from crewe.

Last edited:

ryan125hst

Established Member
The Class 365 certainly don't seem old enough to be scrapped. I can't imagine they've done the mileage that the 373's covered and obviously ran at slower speeds. It must still be cheaper to buy new and scrap the old trains than keep the 365's going if they're scrapping them.

Has anything been at Booths recently that might look similar to the original livery of the HST's?

D365

Veteran Member
The consensus seems to be that the Anglia Class 379s will end up at Great Northern in order to cascade 387s to Southern.

Class 365s lack air-con, at-seat power, SDO and in-cab CCTV. In addition, the GEC traction equipment is starting to suffer from component obsolescence - the Met-Camm Class 465/2s are suffering from this too. And, back to the 365s specifically, it may well have ended up that ETCS retrofit is not as quick and easy as first thought…

MCSHF007

Beauty (or the lack thereof in this particular case) is very much in the eye of the beholder.

I always thought (and still do) that 86s were/are hideous looking locos but equally respect the views of those who who think they're "sex on rails". Each to their own.

Jonny

Established Member
The Class 365 certainly don't seem old enough to be scrapped. I can't imagine they've done the mileage that the 373's covered and obviously ran at slower speeds. It must still be cheaper to buy new and scrap the old trains than keep the 365's going if they're scrapping them.

Has anything been at Booths recently that might look similar to the original livery of the HST's?

I think the 365s were good trains in most regards, but suffered from a relatively low overall power (400hp/300kW per car on average) by AC EMU standards, compared to newer models at least. Unfortunately that is going to be a demand-limiting factor with newer EMUs finding their way onto the leasing market.

D365

Veteran Member
I think the 365s were good trains in most regards, but suffered from a relatively low overall power (400hp/300kW per car on average) by AC EMU standards, compared to newer models at least. Unfortunately that is going to be a demand-limiting factor with newer EMUs finding their way onto the leasing market.
As far as I can tell, tractive power wasn’t a ”deciding factor”.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
equally respect the views of those who who think they're "sex on rails". Each to their own.
If I ever hear that phrase again, it’s too soon :lol:
Newport SIMS don’t hang around, but it seems Booths take a more leisurely approach. Stock seems to linger.

Dave91131

Regarding the OP's original question, weren't there a few loco-hauled MK3 vehicles in blue &grey livery sent to Booths from Long Marston in 2020 or 2019?

Could any of these still be loitering in the yard?

warwickshire

On Moderation
Regarding the OP's original question, weren't there a few loco-hauled MK3 vehicles in blue &grey livery sent to Booths from Long Marston in 2020 or 2019?

Could any of these still be loitering in the yard?
As far as I know around 2 or 3 virgin livery ones are still there.
However around 4 off the original chiltern railways mk3 banbury commuter stock coaches are still there also. The set that ended in March 2020 due to covid. However both off the above unlike the ex tfw mk3 coaches which rog have are the ones nobody wants due to condition.
However the ex db owned virgin livery ones mk3 and chiltern mk3 ones banbury commuter ones also including two blue and grey buffet ones went by road However some did go to Simms ilkeston possible some to booths rotherham but by road.
The rest also could go by road in due course to rotherham but at the momment as far as I am aware they are still being used for spares to keep the underneath off the chiltern operating mk3s in use. Ie parts as seeing as they are now becoming not easy to obtain.

Status
Not open for further replies.