• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is Eurostars Policy on Knives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
See the official policy here. Basically, any item with a blade of fewer than 3 inches' length will be permitted, it seems. I strongly advise that you have a very plausible (and honest) explanation for carrying any such items.

They are very sharp on identifying knives.

They have cutting-edge technology to detect them. ;)

Last edited:

wintonian

Established Member
See the official policy here. Basically, any item with a blade of fewer than 3 centimetres' length will be permitted, it seems. I strongly advise that you have a very plausible (and honest) explanation for carrying any such items.

So no really sharp craft knives with the excuss that you eat lots of Dairylea then? ;)

gnolife

Established Member
See the official policy here. Basically, any item with a blade of fewer than 3 centimetres' length will be permitted, it seems. I strongly advise that you have a very plausible (and honest) explanation for carrying any such items.

Do E* serve meals on board, and if so, what do they supply to, fork example, cut a steak?

Clip

Established Member
Do E* serve meals on board, and if so, what do they supply to, fork example, cut a steak?

They actually employ someone to come round and cut up your steak if you order one.

Clip

Established Member
Is the knife longer than 3 inchs? :p

No, its a midget and they only use midget knives and thus with him having to bring a step to the table also it may take a while so probably better off going for one of the other menu options. especially if everyone has ordered steak. There is actually a midget employment shortage at the moment so they can only have one per train.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I thought the midget staff used to swing from the overhead racks like Tarzan....

Budget cuts.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Just measured the blades - 2 3/4 inches so under the limit. Seem to remember having no problems with my leatherman onboard a few years back - just checking policy hadn't changed.

Did have a problem with a sgian dhub though - had everything taken out my case very carefully by security guard who had never seen the full Highland Dress before. A high level discussion was held until a big Sikh supervisor arrived and said "it's cultural init - let him pass". I was however 'advised' next time to wear the kilt whilst travelling to speed things up. To be fair the sgian dhu was as sharp as a hammer.

Clip

Established Member
I thought the midget staff used to swing from the overhead racks like Tarzan....

Budget cuts.

They had to put a stop to that as too many were not taking it seriously and as one manager said they were 'monkeying around'.

themiller

I was once carrying a Victorinox knife in a pouch on my belt through security at Waterloo and was told that I could not carry it on my person but had to put it in my rucksack!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Was anything worn under the kilt as well? :D

When i'm wearing my kilt, my usual answer is along the lines of "there's very few people that'll allow to know that, and you're not one of them"

Unless I'm trying to pull them, of course :D

LE Greys

Established Member
I've got a penknife through Paris Gare du Nord before, but it did help that I'd bought it that very morning in Geneva.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Not to get off topic, but people still wear kilts in Scotland?

For ceremonial occasions and football matches. If you catch an Englishman wearing one, you are allowed to shout, "Where's yer troosers?" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.