• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: What is longest platform in the Uk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Longest numbered platform or longest platform face? Including only the usable length?

GW43125

Established Member
I would imagine it's one of the long platforms at Edinburgh Waverley (for those who don't know there are three long platforms which are made up of two platforms with a crossover in between- these are numbered 1&20, 2&19 and 7&11). Each half can comfortably hold an Intercity 225 set (length given as 245m), with the crossover in the middle. I'd imagine the overall length of some of these could be approaching 550m. I'm sure someone with access to the numbers can confirm.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
There's a platform face at Gloucester that is over 600 metres long, but divided into two. At Colchester there is a 'platform' at 620 metres long but with part of it set in from the rest.

Parallel

Established Member
Exeter Central has some very long platforms. Not sure how they would compare to other platforms at Euston, Gloucester etc though.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Cambridge platforms 1 & 4 are the third longest platform face in the UK (c. 480m long)

Longest single platform will be HS1 international platforms, and Euston Platforms 1 & 15.

daikilo

Established Member
York has a long platform 3 which actually starts on the Scarborough line.

Manchester Victoria used to have an enormous westbound platform that ran into and through the adjacent Exchange station.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Doncaster platform 3a/b seems to be quite lengthy, has that been extended in recent years perhaps for the class 373 Eurostar sets? Does anyone know it's actual length?

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Noting that the platform mentioned in India 'fails' as it is not in the U.K. I wondered about the Gatwick Airport Interterminal Shuttle. The emergency evacuation walkway is continuous over the 1.2km and is for all structural purposes a 'platform'.

The OP did not specify that the platform had to be at a station or for normal passenger use.

As the walkway is double-sided one might assume that it deserves the runner-up prize too.

Chris M

If we're including emergency walkways as platforms then the DLR's tunnel between King George V and Woolwich Arsenal has a ~2km long "platform", and I strongly suspect that Crossrail between the Plumstead and North Woolwich portals will have one 2.4km long.

43021HST

Established Member
My sleep addled brain did try Googling 'Cheriton Station' and it came up with Cheriton Halt (daft mistake), I've always known it as Folkestone Shuttle Terminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.