• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is so attractive about the back seat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin2013

Does anyone have any idea why a feature of school related transport always seems to be people competing for the back seats?

I remember this happening on every school trip I went on from Year 5 onwards and I also remember it happening when I had to travel on dedicated bus/coach services to school or college- usuaully with the people who were the first to board the route occupying those seats.

I also remember a few instances at school where I traveled on a bus/coach with people from an older year group and they felt they should have these seats due to the fact they were older.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

superdrive1

I think it's something to do with those seats being seen as a 'position of power' for kids and teens, it's almost as though whoever sits at the back is superior to everybody else on the vehicle. I think the technical term for it is 'showing off'.

Bayum

Established Member
Anyone getting on the bus is easily seen, there are many more seats than those on the rest of the bus in a smaller area allowing groups of friends to be together.

Amberley54

Also furthest from authority at the front of the bus/coach.

Achieved a couple of right of passage 'firsts' on the back seat of Crosville's former north western buses that I daren't mention here :)

Martin2013

I never understand why it isn't common practice for an adult (eg a member of staff) to sit on the back seat of a vehicle when accompanying pupils on a trip. Surely it makes more sense in terms of keeping an eye on behaviour as they would have a bird's eye view of everyone?

Also, I've read on several operator's websites that there is a requirement for an adult to be positioned by the emergency exit if the vehicle is being used to transport school children. I've had it suggested to me it is a legal requirement on trips abroad but I'm not sure, is this a legal requirement in the UK or is this something the operator can choose to enforce? In any case, surely the health and safety risk would be lessened if adults were routinely positioned there?

Not the same but I remember going on a theatre trip to London with my school where we traveled by train. We were traveling from Rochester to London Victoria and at that point South Eastern still ran the old slam door trains. During the course of the journey one of the pupils somehow managed to open one of the doors whilst the train was moving. I'm not sure if they were messing around or if it wasn't locked properly. Surely this was as much of(if not more of) a risk as having pupils sat by the emergency exit on a bus/coach.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I would think a member of staff at the back would be a good idea too, and assume the reason it doesn't happen is because the staff also want to sit together and gossip, and not have to worry about the kids causing mayhem behind!

All that needs to be done is to turn around and say 'settle down' every now and then, and hope that the same number of kids get off that got on.

fowler9

Established Member
I would definitely say that it is to be further away from the authority figures. How school staff didn't seem to get on to this over the decades I don't know. Ha ha.

brompton rail

Having taught secondary students for 30 years until 1994, I and my colleagues always used to sit on the back seat. Indeed the students were so familiar with this that they left the seat free. Sitting behind the youngsters allowed greater observance and control as well as opportunities to sit amongst the kids to get to know them better. Centre back seat also allows you to signal to the driver when to turn - rather than expect coach drivers to have an extensive knowledge of the road network. Therefore the back seat leads to better behaved students and a more enjoyable day out, a happy coach driver, a teacher doing their job and following lorry drivers not having to blow kisses at teenage girls!

fowler9

Established Member
Having taught secondary students for 30 years until 1994, I and my colleagues always used to sit on the back seat. Indeed the students were so familiar with this that they left the seat free. Sitting behind the youngsters allowed greater observance and control as well as opportunities to sit amongst the kids to get to know them better. Centre back seat also allows you to signal to the driver when to turn - rather than expect coach drivers to have an extensive knowledge of the road network. Therefore the back seat leads to better behaved students and a more enjoyable day out, a happy coach driver, a teacher doing their job and following lorry drivers not having to blow kisses at teenage girls!

Ha ha, a very good plan I would say. I was on a coach to a Skiing trip in Italy once which was a joint trip with a girls school. One of the "Back Of The Bus" lads managed to have a liaison with one of the girls in the drivers sleeping compartment half way down the bus. All of the staff were sat at the front, it only came to light when the second driver went to get his head down. Oops.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
So you are away from all those silly year 7 and 8's. And you get a bigger target for any scraps of paper in your pocket :D

pemma

Veteran Member
I never understand why it isn't common practice for an adult (eg a member of staff) to sit on the back seat of a vehicle when accompanying pupils on a trip. Surely it makes more sense in terms of keeping an eye on behaviour as they would have a bird's eye view of everyone?

Presumably so they are close to the driver so if the driver spots something in their mirror then the supervising adult can act on it without the driver having to shout down the bus.

fowler9

Established Member
Presumably so they are close to the driver so if the driver spots something in their mirror then the supervising adult can act on it without the driver having to shout down the bus.

Surely the driver should be watching the road and not what the unruly kids are up to?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
How school staff didn't seem to get on to this over the decades I don't know. Ha ha.

See

I would think a member of staff at the back would be a good idea too, and assume the reason it doesn't happen is because the staff also want to sit together and gossip, and not have to worry about the kids causing mayhem behind!

Staff are human, too. ;)

The first school I taught at had the policy that there should be staff at the back of the bus, so that is where everyone sat, and assigned the prefects, or some other sensible kids, to sit in the front row, that is, until we got a new employee who has motion sickness, and from there on any coach she is on, all staff sat at the front.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Funny, I remember on the school bus home some people (including me for a period before year 10) used to run to the bus to get the front seats, not the back seats!

Martin2013

I have personally never sat in the front seats during a trip with school, college or university. On the most recent ones I've been on we've been told something like "Sit anywhere but keep the first row free".

I have definatley been on trips where pupils/students have sat in the front seats for various reasons though.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Funny, I remember on the school bus home some people (including me for a period before year 10) used to run to the bus to get the front seats, not the back seats!

I wonder why that would have been? I understand that the front seats are popular on double decker buses but am not sure about why it would be the case on a single decker.

On one of the National Express services between Bristol and Birmingham the drivers do not normally permit passengers to sit in the front seats and use them as crew seats. In light of that, I was was rather impressed when I ended up having to sit there one evening when I traveled on that service back from Birmingham. I must have caught the drivers on a good day as that service was technically full and my ticket was for the following service nearly 2 hours later.

PaulLothian

When I was small, any school bus trips took us at some speed over a hump-backed canal bridge, and the people on the back seat got the best experience of weightlessness :D

Martin2013

Back in Year 5/Year 6 I used to have to travel home from school on a minibus and the route took us over a set of speed humps. The back of the vehicle was extremely popular at that point in the journey. I think the driver had to devise a rota over who sat in the back row each day.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I wonder why that would have been? I understand that the front seats are popular on double decker buses but am not sure about why it would be the case on a single decker.
It offers a good view out of the road ahead, and also means you can be in a position to be the first off!

There are similar advantages to the front seats on the lower deck on Enviro 400s, especially the individual seat behind the driver which is great as it has a fair amount of legroom and more personal space!

Martin2013

Thanks for taking the time to explain
I agree with you that the front seat offers good views of the road ahead that you wouldn't get at the back. Also, if you're on a packed vehicle it can take a long time to get off at the other end if you are at the back and everyone is getting off at the same time.

fowler9

Established Member
For example, if he sees a passenger in his wing mirror he should probably tell the teacher :lol:

If the driver got on to it and the teacher didn't I have to admit I would be wondering if the teacher and/or driver were doing their job properly.

WestCoast

Established Member
It is not just on school buses where the back seat is somewhat attractive, look at any city bus and see who's sat on the (top deck) back seat. When I was in the final year of college I used to sit there with my friends, but I'd probably avoid it now on a public bus if travelling alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.