• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the busiest station without a staffed booking office?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S&CLER

I'm prompted by the threads on etickets vs paper tickets, to ask which station is the busiest without a staffed booking office.
As for the other way round, I would guess that somewhere like Green Lane or Bank Hall on Merseyrail would be a candidate for the least busy station with a fully staffed ticket office.

Mods, feel free to move this to the stations forum if you think it fits better there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Djgr

Established Member
Well I can see that pre COVID Green Lane was pulling in around 0.5 million passengers a year, so probably not the least busy station!

steamybrian

Established Member
As for the busiest unstaffed station there are several in the London area with more than 0.5 million passengers but I will suggest the busiest unstaffed station ...

Leyton Midland Road will over one million passengers in the year 2019/20

Least busiest but with a staffed ticket office albeit open 0755-0915 Mondays to Fridays I suggest.

Warblington with 27,928 passengers in 2019/20

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
I would suggest that the busiest is going to be Waterloo East in London.

davetheguard

Established Member
Digby & Sowton on the Exmouth branch had passenger numbers of 666,324 in 2018-19.

HST274

Technically Worcestershire Parkway only had 25000 ish in 2019/20 with fully staffed ticket office but that's probably a bit of a cheat. :D

steamybrian

Established Member
The question was about the busiest station without a ticket office, not the busiest unstaffed station.
Can we include London Underground or Docklands Light Railway as virtually all their stations do not have a staffed ticket office....!

Veteran Member
I've worked in a ticket office at Waterloo East, admittedly some years ago
And I think I once bought a ticket there... Presumably now served by the little station along the walkway? :)

The quedtion comed to mind - busiest by footfall or busiest by ticket sales?

James H

Least busiest but with a staffed ticket office albeit open 0755-0915 Mondays to Fridays I suggest.

Possibly a candidate for a spin-off thread about the ticket office with the shortest opening hours - 1 hour 20 mins must be hard to beat.

Revilo

Bescot Stadium comes close to Warblington, only being open Mondays and Fridays for two hours, and most of the day on Saturday. Closed on every other day.

Alex365Dash

From my visit to the station in April 2021, Warblington’s ticket office (at least from what I was told by the on-duty staff member when I visited) doesn’t actually have ticket selling facilities. Whether that means Warblington station meets the requirement for having a booking office…

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
From my visit to the station in April 2021, Warblington’s ticket office (at least from what I was told by the on-duty staff member when I visited) doesn’t actually have ticket selling facilities. Whether that means Warblington station meets the requirement for having a booking office…
Eh? A ticket office that doesn't actually have ticket selling facilities. Sounds rather Alice-in-Wonderland?!

Alex365Dash

Eh? A ticket office that doesn't actually have ticket selling facilities. Sounds rather Alice-in-Wonderland?!
It appears to be in the data as a ticket office, but in reality only offers travel information (according to the staff member I spoke to, unless something’s changed in the past month). I was visiting as the “ticket office” was closing, so didn’t exactly see what was behind the position closed sign, but I was assured by the staff member that the ticket office itself didn’t actually have ticket selling facilities.

Although given the proximity of Havant station, which has a proper ticket office with reasonable opening hours, I’m not exactly sure how many people visit Warblington’s “ticket office” anyway.

Parallel

Established Member
Filton Abbey Wood doesn't really have a ticket office. That's sitting around more or less 1,000,000. It does have a hatch where someone sells tickets from a mobile machine for part of the day though, if that counts.

Clifton Down is 728,000 with no ticket office.

Status
Not open for further replies.