What is the daddy of all stations?

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by infobleep, 15 Oct 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bevan Price

Bevan Price Established Member

Originally Posted by Bevan Price View Post
    A station at Edge Hill, yes, - but not the current platforms - remember the original line in Liverpool went to Crown Street. The section to Lime Street only opened in 1836, needing a different alignment at Edge Hill.

So, if we think of stations still on original sites, then other original stations on the L&M are older than the current Edge Hill, including Earlestown and Huyton.

Broad Green was rebuilt when they constructed the M62 - I think the remaining platforms were part of the (later) slow line platforms

Of stations still open, unless someone knows differently, those at their original sites are Roby, Huyton, St. Helens Junction, Earlestown, Newton Le Willows, Patricroft and Eccles. Of these, only Earlestown retains an early station building, and even that probably dates from later than 1830. The oldest original buildings still in existence are at Manchester Liverpool Road, but that has been closed to passengers for over 150 years.

2. w0033944

w0033944 Member

:lol: I think hipsters think their facial topiary is part of their "intellectual" counter-culture identity, rather than "I can be a***d to shave.:D

In response to the OP, I'd concur with 306024 - Stratford was the Eastern's Swindon, though I'd also mention an historic Norfolk location - Melton Constable.

3. fowler9

fowler9 Established Member

Cheers mate. When does Rainhill station date from? I have a friend who constantly tells me it is the oldest but I think he is just confusing it with the trials.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Thanks for clearing that one up. Ha ha. :D (Beards I mean).

4. southern442

southern442 Established Member

Cue debate about the daddy of the rivers. Which BTW is the Severn.

5. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

When we told our friends we were leaving London to go west, a quick-witted one, knowing my wife was from Preston, said it was a case of 'From the Ribble to the Piddle'

6. Clip

Clip On Moderation

The terminology of 'daddy' was well in parlance before the hipsters decided to outgrow their trousers.

7. GNER 373

GNER 373 Member

The daddy of all stations? Hmmm, I'm a fan of Glasgow Central, the new Waverley is smart, Liverpool Lime Street is a grand old station, Kings Cross is brilliant now, York is fantastic and my hometown Newcastle Central is and always has been a lovely station, however for me in this day in age the new St Pancras wins by a nose. We're spoilt sometimes and we don't even realise!

8. SpacePhoenix

SpacePhoenix Established Member

The "Daddy" of all stations has to be either Clapham Junction or London Waterloo. In clips on Youtube of Waterloo it seems like there must be 8 trains on the move at times, there must be a similar number if not more on the move at Clapham at times.

9. Mike99

Mike99 Member

Your quite right about CLJ always something in sight moving somewhere

10. fowler9

Well that depends on how you judge a station. A really grand one needs nothing to move at all. Of course if nothing moves for too long it soon becomes an ex station.

11. krus_aragon

krus_aragon Established Member

Quite so: it even has its own sea. The Bristol Channel is called Môr Hafren (Severn Sea) in Welsh. All the Thames has is an estuary! :P

12. CaptainHaddock

CaptainHaddock Established Member

Did your girlfriend run off with a hipster or something? ;)

13. w0033944

w0033944 Member

No - I just find pseuds of all types annoying.:D

14. Bevan Price

Bevan Price Established Member

There was an 1830 Rainhill station, but it was originally located east of the Tasker Terrace footbridge, originally a level crossing (Kendrick's Cross) - somewhere near the now-disused signal box.

It was rebuilt in its current location circa 1860/1870, I believe. (Wikipedia fails to mention this relocation.)

15. fowler9

Cheers chief, I was pretty sure my mate wasn't correct.

16. Quakers Yard

Quakers Yard Member

St Pancras
    Paddington
    Manchester picc
    Clapham j
    Pontypridd
    Darlington
    All have their merits...ponty was Clapham of the valleys once!

17. RichmondCommu

RichmondCommu Established Member

I love Kirkby Stephen on the S & C as very little has changed since the days of steam.

I would also give a vote for my local station Richmond. A nice station in a nice town with a very good service to the centre of London and of course North and East London.

18. mirodo

mirodo Member

Surely the daddy of all stations is Par?

(Sorry, I'll get me coat)

19. 317666

317666 Established Member

For me it's probably Antwerpen Centraal, which is already mentioned a few pages back. The way that they've excavated downwards to add the new platforms is a lot nicer and more impressive than shoving them in a box on the side of the station like at St Pancras!

Runner up is Leipzig Hauptbahnhof, the world's largest station in terms of floor area. More than anything the sheer size of it impresses me, although it has been nicely restored. It's a shame that since the introduction of S-Bahn Mitteldeutschland, most of the local services now leave from the underground platforms, making the original ground-level platforms look decidedly empty.

20. bignosemac

bignosemac Established Member

+1

Once the monstrous mail conveyor goes at Christmas, the London end will look even better.

Just a short window to get some quality photting done before the knitting goes up though.

Not to forget that trains will be running again into the original Brunel trainshed in the not too distant future, with the some of the offices and vaults of the 1840 station returning to railway/public use.

21. fishquinn

fishquinn Established Member Quizmaster

York.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.