• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the difference between Train Manager and Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Windymoors

On Moderation
Speak for yourself. I love working shifts and would never want to work at the same times every day. I cannot dispute that shift work is bad for health, that is a proven fact, but I can assure you I categorically want to work shifts and so do a large number of my colleagues so maybe don't make such uninformed and sweeping statements!

I'm afraid I have to doubt the veracity of your post. Sorry.

Established Member
What I will say is that I can easily do an early start and get in for 6am or do an evening shift and work through till midnight. What does kill me is nights - working through the 'witching' hour or the 'small hours' and only finishing at 7am. I struggle to sleep during the daytime and unfortunately I end up in 'autopilot' mode after a couple of nights under my belt. Earlies 'YES', afternoons 'YES', nights 'NO THANKS'.

I completely agree. Nights are dreadful and knock you out for most of the day, so you lose a lot of the advantage of shift work in terms of productive time off during the week. Having said that, some people love them, which is great as those who can’t stand them can usually swap them away!

In the driving grade nights are quite popular as they often involve doing very little. However certain depots have night turns which involve driving trains in passenger service at each end of the shift, or even full night running turns (ARL have some of these I believe) - no thanks!

Windymoors

On Moderation
Having worked shifts most of my working life, I can say I do prefer them to working a conventional 9-5 Monday to Friday.

What I love the most about shifts is the flexibility to get down time for things that 9-5 people can't do. This includes taking the car in for it's MOT, booking a dental appointment, going to the doctors, doing a supermarket shop (when the place isn't packed out) or simply making sure the dog gets some vital exercise (and you do too!!!).

I did a 9-5 job for a short time after finishing in the police and I just couldn't get used to the difference it had on my life - I found it impossible just to arrange a routine appointment to see a solicitor during office hours over deeds to my mum's house. I also found it impossible to do anything productive before or after work such as going to the gym or having a drive out somewhere.

Many people hate working weekends - I don't mind working them as I can just take them or leave them. Working a Saturday or/& Sunday creates the bonus of being off during the week and enjoying the advantages of being able to do the things I mentioned before.

What I will say is that I can easily do an early start and get in for 6am or do an evening shift and work through till midnight. What does kill me is nights - working through the 'witching' hour or the 'small hours' and only finishing at 7am. I struggle to sleep during the daytime and unfortunately I end up in 'autopilot' mode after a couple of nights under my belt. Earlies 'YES', afternoons 'YES', nights 'NO THANKS'.

My current job in control is 12 hour 7-7 days or 7-7 nights. If I could work permanent days I would as the nights are really taking their toll on my body. When I first took the job I kind of forgot how bad I cope with full blown nights and sadly I've learned that I will never be fully compatible to doing them. As the current job is only on a FTC I'm already anticipating my next job won't involve nights at all.

CJ

sounds like hell

Established Member

Why?

@Intermodal is quite right. Many people in the railway industry actively prefer working shifts. Shift work certainly has its ups and downs but I don’t know many who would choose to go back to a 9-5 role after doing shifts for a few years.

Windymoors

On Moderation
Why?

@Intermodal is quite right. Many people in the railway industry actively prefer working shifts. Shift work certainly has its ups and downs but I don’t know many who would choose to go back to a 9-5 role after doing shifts for a few years.

'nights are dreadful' - your words..?

Established Member
'nights are dreadful' - your words..?

I don’t like nights and neither does @C J Snarzell. I also said that some people prefer them. As a result I never have to work them!

Your earlier statements that “nobody wants to do shifts” and “99.9% of people hate them” are completely inaccurate, in my experience, having met hundreds of drivers and other front line staff at two TOCs.

I’m not sure why you presume to speak for others. If you don’t enjoy shift work, that’s unfortunate, but nobody is forcing you to do it.

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
That's entirely up to you. Why I would come on here and spend my valuable time arguing a point I don't believe in is totally beyond me, when it would have absolutely no positive benefit or entertainment value for myself.

If you honestly believe that out of 8 billion people on this Earth that none of us prefer to work shifts then crack on.

Windymoors

On Moderation
That's entirely up to you. Why I would come on here and spend my valuable time arguing a point I don't believe in is totally beyond me, when it would have absolutely no positive benefit or entertainment value for myself.

If you honestly believe that out of 8 billion people on this Earth that none of us prefer to work shifts then crack on.

If you honestly believe that out of 8 billion people on this Earth that none of us prefer to work shifts then crack on.[/QUOTE]

Only you can answer why you are sitting on here!!! LOL

out of 8 billion, hmmm... a few hundred oddballs might prefer shifts I guess, you're right...

Lmc1976

This thread has gone massively off piste. Maybe another one could be started about the pros and cons of shift work?

Going back to one of the original questions from the OP are Conductor positions under threat with GWR?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
This thread is getting quite ridiculous.

I am sure the OP can make a decision for him/herself on the input people have provided so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.