• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the intended lifespan of the voyagers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Energy

Established Member
I was wondering how long the voyagers were designed to last, XC units seem to be on there last legs with XC not maintaining them very well and the Virgin ones are getting replaced. As these were DEMUs do they have a shorter lifespan than the pendolino EMUs as they thought there would be more electrification?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
35 years is the usual figure for DMUs. 40 for EMUs. The idea that the XC Voyagers are about to be replaced is forum fantasy.

TRAX

Established Member
The same as the average for every other train - 40 years.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Overcrowding issues have lead to that assumption that they will be replaced in the next franchise
Yes, and assumption is all it actually is. It’s far more probable that XC will have more trains, but they’ll still be Voyagers.

...but aren’t there already two threads about this running in the speculation section?

Dan15812

It's a difficult one for me, personally I have always felt the Desiro and Electostars trains have always been a step ahead of the voyages of feeling more modern and evolutionary. Before you correct me the voyagers are at disadvantage of being diesel and therefore smellier and noisier yet to mention overcrowding issues. One thing is for sure is that they definitely need a refurb due to their battered seats and drab colour scheme.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It's a difficult one for me, personally I have always felt the Desiro and Electostars trains have always been a step ahead of the voyages of feeling more modern and evolutionary. Before you correct me the voyagers are at disadvantage of being diesel and therefore smellier and noisier yet to mention overcrowding issues. One thing is for sure is that they definitely need a refurb due to their battered seats and drab colour scheme.
They were drab on their first day. The table tops and ceiling linings looked as if designed to look like a smoke stained downmarket pub...

WesternLancer

Established Member
I was wondering how long the voyagers were designed to last, XC units seem to be on there last legs with XC not maintaining them very well and the Virgin ones are getting replaced. As these were DEMUs do they have a shorter lifespan than the pendolino EMUs as they thought there would be more electrification?
Isn't it the case that they are maintained by their builders Bombardier, not by XC? I thought that was part if the deal - the builder has to maintain and provide the units on a daily basis.

The Three Rivers Voyager depot IIRC is fully branded with Bombardier branding, never had XC branding or Virgin XC branding / Arriva XC etc.

Despite my weird love for Voyagers, I do hope they are replaced in the next franchise. XC need more appropriate rolling stock.

I'm sure they'll find work elsewhere however. Perhaps in Scotland or working the XC services currently operated by 170s?

On Moderation
They were drab on their first day. The table tops and ceiling linings looked as if designed to look like a smoke stained downmarket pub...
You know what, I’ve sometimes wondered what the best way to describe that colour would be. You’ve totally nailed it!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Despite my weird love for Voyagers, I do hope they are replaced in the next franchise. XC need more appropriate rolling stock.

They are appropriate rolling stock for XC - pair them up where necessary and they can continue for some time right where they are.

Richard Scott

Established Member
They are appropriate rolling stock for XC - pair them up where necessary and they can continue for some time right where they are.
Apart from their excessive fuel consumption and emissions, which belong in a bygone era not one of today. They are not pleasant trains, even family members moan about them and they are definitely not interested in trains. They need replacing with more appropriate stock.

dk1

Veteran Member
Superb large picture windows. Those next to pillars are good for those who's head is constantly buried into their mobile devices. Emissions don't really bother me so not that bad Trains all in all.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Agree, I get the capacity issues but if they were really that bad something would've been done about it. Having said that, its weird to think that two projects (Thor and Omega) could've tackled these issues but were never implemented.

Apart from their excessive fuel consumption and emissions, which belong in a bygone era not one of today. They are not pleasant trains, even family members moan about them and they are definitely not interested in trains. They need replacing with more appropriate stock.

I'd agree with the fuel consumptions and emissions, but I find them to be pleasant enough when they're not overcrowded. Although that seems to be a rare opinion.

Agree, I get the capacity issues but if they were really that bad something would've been done about it. Having said that, its weird to think that two projects (Thor and Omega) could've tackled these issues but were never implemented.

They weren't implemented because they would have made practical sense, which the DfT hates.

greatvoyager

Established Member
I'd agree with the fuel consumptions and emissions, but I find them to be pleasant enough when they're not overcrowded. Although that seems to be a rare opinion.
They aren't as bad as some people make out. I must be lucky as I've never had a bad experience on one.
I doubt they'll be replaced until they're life expired. Probably not the next franchise, but the one after.

They aren't as bad as some people make out. I must be lucky as I've never had a bad experience on one.
I doubt they'll be replaced until they're life expired. Probably not the next franchise, but the one after.

The worst experience I've had was sitting next to a pillar on a trip between Bristol and York, something that could happen on other stock.

greatvoyager

Established Member
The worst experience I've had was sitting next to a pillar on a trip between Bristol and York, something that could happen on other stock.
The worst experience I had was going to the shop when Virgin ran XC only to discover they ran out of bacon rolls.

dk1

Veteran Member
Me neither. They are okay really.

Status
Not open for further replies.