• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the Longest Disused Railway Tunnel in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
More likely to be used by Network Rail and contractors working on the railway in the tunnel due to the available cross passages that give access to the main tunnel.
On major relay work a one way system was set up with selected vehicles only parked in the tunnel and a shuttle back to the main vehicle park at either end of the tunnel.
The "Cathedral" in the centre of the tunnels allowing a short circuit to turn round.

The canal is actually below and between the Running and disused Down tunnels.

When the canal tunnel was first reopened, boats wishing to pass through had to be towed by an electric tug, with three or four boats tied in line behind it. The tug had seats and if you were at the tunnel mouth at the appropriate time you could pay to go through as a foot passenger. I've done it twice. The backup vehicle travelled along one of the unused railway tunnels so as to be available to evacuate people from the canal if necessary. Travelling west to east the vehicle was driven in reverse, which must have been a difficult experience for the crew. At intervals the vehicle crew and the tug crew exchanged signals with torches through the cross passages, to confirm that everything was normal.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
That list of longest tunnels seems to be missing the 1880 Channel Tunnel attempt which was over 2000 yards when cancelled.

fowler9

Established Member
This obviously doesn't count for the UK but I walked through the 1200 yard Karangahake Gorge tunnel in New Zealand. 1100 metres I believe. Is there a tunnel in the UK this long that anyone can just turn up at and walk through?

Last edited:

table38

Established Member
This obviously doesn't count for the UK but I walked through the 1200 yard Karangahake Gorge tunnel in New Zealand. 1100 metres I believe. Is there a tunnel in the UK this long that anyone can just turn up at and walk through?

The walk from the Victoria line to the new Northern Ticket Hall at Kings Cross is about that far :)

cool110

It's not a rail tunnel and you can't walk it, but cyclists are allowed to use the 2 mile long Queensway tunnel under the Mersey at night.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member

Yes, Netherton Tunnel on the Birmingham Canal Navigations: 3027 yards.

snowball

Established Member
I appear to be having some trouble in accessing that particular link, but I was unaware that there were two threads upon the website.

The title of the thread in question is "Rhondda Tunnel - possible reopening for use as a cycle route?". It was last posted to on 13th April and it's currently on the bottom half of page 5 of this subforum.

Pigeon

Ee, you lucky bugger. That hole you went in through used to be quite substantially blocked. Someone must have gone down there with quite heavy kit to get it open - not that that surprises me too much. As you noticed it is something of a dumping ground for the local twoccers and it is also a place to go and make a fire and hang out with a few cans.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The Monsal Trail in Derbyshire allows walking or cycling through, I think, four tunnels without any permission needed. I think the longest is Chee Tor No 1, but it's not that long.
They're not very long, but there's a lot of them and you can indeed walk through them, which several of us plan to do this summer, you and anyone else are welcome to join us :) see Monsal Trail walk

Status
Not open for further replies.