• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the longest passenger train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascot

Established Member
What is the longest time a train is going on 1 trip from start to finish what is run by an ex Regional Railways type of TOC. So not Virgin, Sleepers, GNER etc..

I'm guessing the Milford haven to Holyhead. 15:40 off and in at 23:42. Lovely behind 50's if ever;)

Then the 17:25 from Holyhead to Fishguard at 01:02?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave A

Amersham to Upminster via Stratford, Cockfosters, New Cross, Richmond, Heathrow, Ealing Broadway, Tottenham Court Road, Arnos Grove, High Barnet... :mrgreen:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Got to be the SuO Holyhead - Fishguard Harbour service. Of course, that's assuming there is no engineering works on to stop the service from running, which is every Sunday at the moment! I'd love to do that service all the way through, the mileage that would be accumulated on that service would be amazing!

Ascot

Established Member
Got to be the SuO Holyhead - Fishguard Harbour service. Of course, that's assuming there is no engineering works on to stop the service from running, which is every Sunday at the moment! I'd love to do that service all the way through, the mileage that would be accumulated on that service would be amazing!

Milford Holyhead clocks about an extra half an hr - hr but yeah that'd be great to do that. Combine the ferries as well and an Irish train run. That's a meet.

Sprog

Established Member
Used to Abereen = Penzance VXC summer train.

Over 8+ (??) hours on an HST!! 8)

Stopped a few years ago unfortunatly :(

David

Established Member
What about Wales and West (I think that was the name) Penzance/Milford Haven - Waterloo

Coxster

Established Member
What about Wales and West (I think that was the name) Penzance/Milford Haven - Waterloo
I'm not sure on the old exact Alphaline timings for Penzance to Waterloo but the current SWT service via Yeovil is as follows:

Waterloo 14:20 - 20:54 Penzance (6 hours, 34 mins)
Penzance 14:13 - 20:58 Waterloo (6 hours, 45 mins)

So still the longest we've found so far are:

Holyhead 17:25 - 01:02 Fishguard (8 hours, 17 mins)
Milford Haven 15:40 - 23:42 Holyhead (8 hours, 2 mins)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How about the Arriva TW service from Penzance to Manchester via Maindee Curve (ended in December '05)?

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
How about the Arriva TW service from Penzance to Manchester via Maindee Curve (ended in December '05)?

According to an old W&B timetable I have, one of those started out from Penzance at 0654 and got to Manchester for 1436.
That train split up at BTM and the one half went on to Milford Haven arrving at 1559.

xtradj

sleeper euston - fort william?

and kx - aberdeen

soton/bournemouth xc - edinburgh

theblackwatch

Established Member
Just a reminder of the original question as we still have people quoting things like KX-Aberdeen....

What is the longest time a train is going on 1 trip from start to finish what is run by an ex Regional Railways type of TOC. So not Virgin, Sleepers, GNER etc..

xtradj

Just a reminder of the original question as we still have people quoting things like KX-Aberdeen....

in that case would have to be the holyhead - south west wales services as already mentioned

although im sure theres a glasgow to the higlands stopper service which takes a fair few hours

Established Member
In the early days of Central when they combined all sorts of services which were worked through by units (it may have been late regional railways, sure AlexS knows) and advertised them as through trains there were all sorts of oddities.

Shrewbury-Skegness/Grimsby/Cleethorpes certainly took a few hours! Maybe even some Aber-East coast workings? Even Liverpool-Stansted via Brum wasn't exactly quick

Jim

Established Member
There was a marathon Eurostar Wales and West feeder back in the day, was Manchester to Penzance via London Waterloo.

Split in to 2 services really though was it not

Established Member
Also, there was a SuO North Berwick-Kyle at one stage around 2000 or thereabouts which is a bit of a trek

Techniquest

Veteran Member
There was a Lincoln Central - Shrewsbury run, few years ago now, quite long but it's definately the HHD - FGD run which is the longest so far!

Tomnick

Established Member
In the early days of Central when they combined all sorts of services which were worked through by units (it may have been late regional railways, sure AlexS knows) and advertised them as through trains there were all sorts of oddities.

Shrewbury-Skegness/Grimsby/Cleethorpes certainly took a few hours! Maybe even some Aber-East coast workings? Even Liverpool-Stansted via Brum wasn't exactly quick
Our 0930 ex-Grimsby Town (I think it was that one anyway!) went to some odd destinations in recent years. I can particularly remember Chester (via Shrewsbury) and Aberystwyth as two. These were certainly well into Central Trains days too - even up until just a year or three ago, when this (and most other Grimsby trains) were cut back to terminate at Newark Northgate. The last down train came from Cardiff Central in some timetables too, though I think that terminated at Market Rasen - another oddity!

clagmonster

Established Member
At one stage there was a Cardiff-Cleethorpes run. Another was Pwphelli-Grimsby. Shrewsbury was a coomon one, I rember an going to Lincoln with City one day and while we were there, the same unit had been to Shrewsbury and back,

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Our 0930 ex-Grimsby Town (I think it was that one anyway!) went to some odd destinations in recent years. I can particularly remember Chester (via Shrewsbury) and Aberystwyth as two. These were certainly well into Central Trains days too - even up until just a year or three ago, when this (and most other Grimsby trains) were cut back to terminate at Newark Northgate. The last down train came from Cardiff Central in some timetables too, though I think that terminated at Market Rasen - another oddity!

Certainly used to be a Lincoln Central - Cardiff Central service, left Lincoln at a reasonable hour in the morning, eight-something I'd hazard a guess at now. It was very strange that one, as it never showed up in the timetable as going back to Lincoln, so the usefulness of such a working I never understood! Was always strange seeing Lincoln Central under 'From' on the screens at Newport!

I recall reading that there was a Manchester - Portsmouth Harbour service in Regional Railways days, went down the Marches and over Maindee Curve to Bristol and as usual from beyond. A nice, long journey on a 158!

Waterloo - Manchester was another one, I do believe that was the run my sister did once on a school trip to France. Leominster to Waterloo on a 158, man that would have been fun...

T

Tom

There is a Portsmouth Harbour - Penzance train which takes 7 hours I think at the moment.

Although strictly an Intercity TOC, VT run a Bournemouth - Aberdeen during engineering works on some part of the route. It's a 0630 departure from BMH and arrives 2021 at Aberdeen... only 14 hours on a Voyager... :lol:

andel

I have done Milford Haven -> Waterloo before... and Crewe to Sleaford... Then there is the old Portsmouth Harbour -> Liverpool Lime Street service... used to go through Salisbury at 07:12 and get into Liverpool for 13:12...

Status
Not open for further replies.