• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the most outrageous thing you have found recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I have come across many examples of complete ignorance and incompetence in many field and often come across some quite idiotic things at home, but tonight has really taken the biscuit to a new level and made me practically quote the opening lines of Four Weddings and a Funeral...

Before you read on, I shouldclarify that by "debris catcher" I mean those portable ones with very small holes that you put in a plughole when the plug is not in place, not the one the plug sits in when it's in place.

Bathroom basin draining very slowly again.

Already?!

It’s only a month since I tipped a bottle of Knockout down it.

Hmmm… I know… I need a torch.

*removes as much hair as possible from under the debris trap*

*switches on torch*

*sees something*

*Yells in rage!!!*

There, nestling in amongst all the gunge, is…. is…. wait for it……

↓↓↓↓↓

↓↓↓↓↓

↓↓↓↓↓

↓↓↓↓↓

↓↓↓↓↓

The cap off a tube of toothpaste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no way that has got down there by accident is there?!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cjp

I hope you feel better for that :D

What are the opening lines to Four Weddings and A Funeral you resisted?
I resisted hunting up and playing the thing

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I hope you feel better for that :D

What are the opening lines to Four Weddings and A Funeral you resisted?
I resisted hunting up and playing the thing

The opening lines consist of a stream of expletives...

I would rather suspect by accident is the only way that would get down there. Nobody is going to put it down on purpose!

For it to have got down there accidentally would have meant it must have not only moved the debris catcher out of the way but also landed on the plug plate underneath in exactly the right orientation to squeeze down a hole designed to prevent things like that from getting down.

It's been pushed.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The opening lines consist of a stream of expletives...

For it to have got down there accidentally would have meant it must have not only moved the debris catcher out of the way but also landed on the plug plate underneath in exactly the right orientation to squeeze down a hole designed to prevent things like that from getting down.

It's been pushed.
Once upon a time, visiting a faIrground, I witnessed a 'punter' winning a prize at the hoopla store: except, of course, he didn't! The impeccable logic of the thug running the stall was that it was impossible to win a prize without cheating, on the basis that it was literally impossible for the hoop to be thrown and land full square over any object, contrary of course to the demonstration he'd given beforehand by placing the hoop with millimetres to spare! I think all the 'winner' did was get his money back and a bit of useful advice to leave the fair immediately! So, I can't QUITE accept that it was necessarily a deliberate action.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
So, I can't QUITE accept that it was necessarily a deliberate action.

Put it this way... my chief suspect deliberately removes the debris catchers and washes all the stuff that they catch straight down the very same plugholes the catchers are there to protect. Whether kitchen sink, bath or basin... I am forever retrieving long, tangled clumps of hairs from the bath plughole. The basin one gets blocked so regularly that I never buy single bottles of Knockout...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Talking of different outrageous stuff, assuming this is what you meant rather than simply things found in the plughole!

One thing that got me quite cross recently was very poor service at a coffee shop. OK, it was the Costa on the P13/14 bridge at Manc Picc. I won't say specifically when, but if the individual who it was is reading I hope he reconsiders whether customer-facing work is for him.

1. I go up and ask clearly and politely for a medium white tea to take away and pay the sum requested, which seems a little high but maybe it's gone up.
2. Guy starts making a coffee.
3. I ask him why he's doing that, he ignores me.
4. I ask him again. He prints a receipt (which he hadn't given me; Costa have always given me one by default before) and points to what it says, which is a medium latte, claiming that was what I ordered.
5. I said I didn't order that.
6. He said I did.
7. He rings up a tea in addition. I say I'm not paying him any more, can he just do me a tea.
8. He does the tea, plonks it in front of me and looks at me in a "get lost" type of way.
9. I say "well, are you not going to give me the difference back?"
10. He grimaces and opens the till and gets out the difference minus a few pence. "Sorry, I've not got change".
I'm now getting very riled, though being British this is not particularly visible per-se.
11. I demand he gives me at least the amount due out of principle. He does so (an extra 5p) with a complete lack of grace. I walk off, and anger gets the better of me by this point so I shout back "an apology would have been nice", this obviously indicating that my British level of anger has reached 11/10. Off I go and get the train, seething quietly.

This is about the worst, most arrogant "service" I have experienced in some time, and that in what is allegedly the friendly North. That's the kind of service I'd expect at Euston, not Piccadilly.

I can understand a misunderstanding, but as soon as I pointed out politely that he had misunderstood, he should simply have apologised, made the correct drink and gracefully refunded the difference without this needing to be requested (or a bit more if he didn't have correct change for it).

Disgraceful.

Status
Not open for further replies.