• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the most unusual thing you have seen on the railways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Rail_WAy

What is the most unusual thing you have seen on the railways?

After a recent discussion about the NR saloon car, I thought it would be interesting to discuss the most unusual thing you have seen on British railways - it could be an unusual freight working, strange combination of locos/rolling stock, rare and unusual workings etc.

For me I have two:

(1) Seeing the NR saloon car 'Amanda' pushed through Wigan Wallgate was highly surreal.

(2) Also at Wigan North Western: I could'nt work out what this was. A freight loco pulling a very randomly organised train of coaches - which had the front end of a voyager in the middle and various other ex-BR coaches and some random freight wagons. Can't really describe it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Mines not as unusual as yours but 2 weeks ago i saw a Virgin note the word Virgin voyager pass me on the high level platform of Tamworth i found this to be a but odd as its cross country that run down there it was not a unbranded voyager ether and it was running on ECS

Very Odd

The_Rail_WAy

Your above post has reminded me of something quite unusual that happened - on a virgin pendolino service travelling south and there was a long wait prior to entry at Wigan North Western. The announcer has said that two(!) trains had failed at WNW and that the train would have to enter one of the side platforms (rather than the central ones the pendos normally use.)

Because the pendo was too long for the platform passengers had to get off at the front half off the train - the doors at the back end of the train - which were still on the mainline had to be locked.

Was very random.

dave_wm

The first Pendolino I ever saw was towed by a Class 47 through Tamworth High Level, whilst 87s/90s flew by underneath...

Jordy

Established Member
Virgin Voyager at Tamworth would probably be going to Central Rivers (the Voyager maintenance place!)

The first Pendolino I ever saw was towed by a Class 47 through Tamworth High Level, whilst 87s/90s flew by underneath...

That was probably a delivery run!

Ilove165's

Last year I was on an 8-car 168 (2x4-car) from Marylebone to West Ruislip, but the rear half was locked and was dragged back to Aylesbury ECS...

Weird...

Sam

The_Rail_WAy

This thread is now starting to conjure up things I had forgotten about!

Around 5 years ago I was travelling on the last train from Man Vic - Wigan on a Friday night. The train consisted of at least 4 (maybe 5?) dmu's - mostly 142's and a couple of 150's. Obviously a stock move for the next day but it was highly unusual to be on such a long train.

Kneedown

Established Member
Strangest thing i ever saw was when we still had 170's.... I took my key out and it DIDN'T have a level three fault light flashing! :lol:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
:| Possibly not that unusual, but I saw a Class 319 stabled at Moorgate during the middle of the day last week in (green and white) Southern livery.

Presumably "on loan" but seemed kind of out of place at Moorgate.

driver9000

Established Member
This thread is now starting to conjure up things I had forgotten about!

Around 5 years ago I was travelling on the last train from Man Vic - Wigan on a Friday night. The train consisted of at least 4 (maybe 5?) dmu's - mostly 142's and a couple of 150's. Obviously a stock move for the next day but it was highly unusual to be on such a long train.

If 142s were involved it would have been 4 sets maximum (can only work in multiple up to 8 cars)

I remember a 390 being hauled slowly through Chorley flying arches/tunnel cant remember what loco it was, I think it was around the time they were being delivered and were being cleared for diversions off the WCML.

EM2

Established Member
Not knowing the operations in the West Mids too well, can you explain why these Tamworth moves are so unusual?

I saw an 86 and two 90s triple-heading a train of only six or so FEAs at Forest Gate once.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Seeing Pendolino's go over the top at Tamworth was quite a regular event to get them to Old Dalby (not Central Rivers, that's Bombardier, and for Voyagers, not Alstom :roll:) for testing and running in.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It was quite surreal departing from platform 3 at York (normally used by NXEC London services) on a pacer to Selby back in January! This move used to be pretty common back in Arriva days, as the 17xx to Hull, usually formed of a pacer, ran through from Middlesbrough and called at platform 3. However, the vast majority of Hull/Selby services just use platform 1 thesedays.

The_Rail_WAy

If 142s were involved it would have been 4 sets maximum (can only work in multiple up to 8 cars)

I remember a 390 being hauled slowly through Chorley flying arches/tunnel cant remember what loco it was, I think it was around the time they were being delivered and were being cleared for diversions off the WCML.

Think it was 4 '142's' and a '150.'

Established Member
Looking into the FSR platforms at Waverley and seeing one of the SWT liveried 158s, an old ScotRail 'Swoosh' liveried 170, an SPT 156 and an FSR 158 in there at the same time.
It was about a year ago I saw that, I was rather surprised.

TDK

Established Member
A Kangaroo jump in front of my train at Dorking, the signaller thought I was on a trip.I didn't hit it and found out later it was an escapee from a compound

Phoenix

Established Member
Mines not as unusual as yours but 2 weeks ago i saw a Virgin note the word Virgin voyager pass me on the high level platform of Tamworth i found this to be a but odd as its cross country that run down there it was not a unbranded voyager ether and it was running on ECS

Very Odd

It happens ever week day for voyagers beginning at new street I belive but I seldom see it.

TDK

Established Member
A class 56 entering London Vic hauling 3 4car Veps due to snow was unusual

SqUaShIe P

I was at retford station, about an year and a half ago, waiting for my GNER service back to KGX, and there was an announcement sayin the train was delayed by 5 mins, then another one saying it was delayed by 10 mins. Then from our of nowhere a GBRf loco (cant remember what class it was) came speading down the fast line, and as it went past, the driver put his middle finger up at everyone on the platform. About 10 mins later, my train did turn up, i got on, sat down, and the conductor made an announcement sayin that the train was delayed because of a stolen loco. And when i got to KGX, that same loco was on about half way down platform 5.
Not something ya see everyday :D

The_Rail_WAy

Seriously?

That must have made the news. If thats true then that is one of the strangest stories I have ever heard!

Last edited:

SqUaShIe P

Well i did look it up the next day, but i never found anything on it. I think the loco was stolen from the doncaster area, not 100% on that though :/ Might have been in a donny local paper or something

LilLoaf

I saw a Grand Central HST leave York once on time, like right on time, all couches were in the right order none missing and power cars seemed to be fine. Like i say right on time of York, i was totally amazed i could not believe it.

It was then 40 mins late into "the cross". Maybe i spoke about it too soon.

Respite

One of my favs was years ago when I was with NR. I was working as a pilotman & aboard an EWS class 37. The loco was obviously just back from spain & all the notices & printed items were in spanish along with some traincrew added comments. Not that unusual I know but felt very weird to be on a BR loco that was familiar but with all the foreign items onboard.

EM2

Established Member
My NXEA Metro service tonight, from Liverpool Street to Shenfield, was formed of 2x321. In eighteen months of doing this journey, I've never had any other stock except 315s.
It's the first 321s I've seen stop at Maryland & Forest Gate too.

Status
Not open for further replies.