• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the oldest PSB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Well, I meant that. By mistake I put: What's the oldest PSB?. It should have been:
Are there anymore 1930's or older PSB's?

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Hull is actually the OLDEST PSB in the country? Of course it had 14 platforms and 4/6 running lines in the day, nowadays is 6 platforms and 2 running lines.

AndrewE

Established Member
Maybe we need a definition of a PSB first... I can't find one. And you did not say "still in use." which seems to be relevant (I admit you asked "which is?" not "which was" though, but that's a bit subtle for after teatime!
Does it mean power used to work the points and signals, or maybe buttons and relays (presumably not software) behind a schematic panel?

I've found a reference to Trent PSB (commissioned 1969) but I suspect that the the Crewe N and S Junction boxes (which were installed during the 2nd World War and had miniature levers were quite late applications for that electro-mechanical system.
http://www.wbsframe.mste.co.uk/public/North_Kent_East.html says
The lever frame is a Westinghouse Style 'L' Power Frame and was the first all electrically locked frame of its type in the UK,
so in 1929 a PSB of sorts was already in use... That's a lot earlier than 1936 (sorry Yorkshire!)

If you mean post-Beeching Modernisation plan, then it's a good question...

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
Lime Street signal box is the last miniature lever frame on the national network and dates from the 1940s. In terms of the more contemporary PSBs that were installed until the 1990s I would imagine Edge Hill is a contender from the 1950s.

Railsigns

Established Member
Hull Paragon box contains a 1980s NX panel. The 1930s equipment is all long gone!

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Because in 1984 they cut the station in half and halved the running lines. The 30's building is still there, though. To be honest, i'm surprised that the whole line hasn't been re-signalled into York yet.

MarkyT

Established Member
The earliest Western Region PSB still surviving is at Plymouth, originally commissioned in November 1960. The area of control was extended eastward and westward later, but the original station area retains original equipment although the layout was simplified to an extent with junctions to Millbay and Devonport Kings Road removed.

Birmingham Snow Hill PSB was commissioned a month earlier the same year, but clearly that closed early along with the station and the former GWR route through the city.

Sunset route

Lime Street signal box is the last miniature lever frame on the national network and dates from the 1940s. In terms of the more contemporary PSBs that were installed until the 1990s I would imagine Edge Hill is a contender from the 1950s.

I thought Maidstone East still restained it's immature level frame for the station area along with more modern panels for the fringes to Victoria ASC and Ashford IECC.

AndrewE

Established Member
Amazed nobody has asked what PSB means. :)

We might think we know, but I did ask for detail in post 12. Maybe the o.p. meant "a box still in use that had PSB in its name" and nothing at all to do with the gubbins inside!

MarkyT

Established Member
I thought Maidstone East still restained it's immature level frame for the station area along with more modern panels for the fringes to Victoria ASC and Ashford IECC.

Correct. Photos are from 2005 and I'm not aware of any major change having taken place.

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 78
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 71
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 81
Status
Not open for further replies.