• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the ownership status of the Crossrail core stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

southern442

Established Member
Moderator note: split from https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/class-345-progress.120221

Some dynamic testing going on today in the tunnels. Interesting to see the station codes too for the stations.

Are these counted as separate stations then? I suppose it does make sense sort of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Are these counted as separate stations then? I suppose it does make sense sort of.

I guess because they're not part of the LU network, they need specific CRS codes. However my understanding is its also not strictly NR infrastructure either so it's a weird limbo.

rebmcr

Established Member
I guess because they're not part of the LU network, they need specific CRS codes. However my understanding is its also not strictly NR infrastructure either so it's a weird limbo.
They're not Network Rail (infrastructure maintainer, runs some large stations), but they are National Rail (public-facing catch-all brand which covers all the TOCs).

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
They're not Network Rail (infrastructure maintainer, runs some large stations), but they are National Rail (public-facing catch-all brand which covers all the TOCs).

Yes by NR I refer to Network Rail. Saying that many LU stations do have CRS codes buried in the system.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Believe it will be managed by Rail for London

Who are in term a subsidiary of Transport Trading Limited who themselves are a subsidiary of TfL, so essentially managed by them

Edit: The boring legal bit "By law, we cannot carry out certain activities except through a limited liability company which is a subsidiary of ours or which we formed or joined with others in forming".

matt_world2004

Established Member
The ownership of core stations is actually rather complicated . Some like Paddington, bond Street and Tottenham court road are managed by London Underground limited and will be staffed accordingly.

Others are managed by rail for London and will be staffed by MTR staff. (Canary Wharf , Woolwich) While others are owned by network rail and managed by MTR staff (Abbey wood)

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
The ownership of core stations is actually rather complicated . Some like Paddington, bond Street and Tottenham court road are managed by London Underground limited and will be staffed accordingly.

Others are managed by rail for London and will be staffed by MTR staff. (Canary Wharf , Woolwich) While others are owned by network rail and managed by MTR staff (Abbey wood)

It doesn't seem that complex to me
- Abbey Wood is already on NR infrastructure so similar to East and West stations its a NR station managed by MTR (a standard TOC scenario)
- Paddington / Bond Street etc are already LU stations so this is an extension of their station (they are connected and have TfL branding)
- Canary Wharf and Woolwich are brand new stations (ok you can argue the former) with no existing infrastructure.

This is somewhat off-topic from 345s though.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Isn't the station at Canary Wharf owned by Canary Wharf Group PLC?
The underlying (or should that be overlying!) land's freehold might be, but you would expect for TfL/Rail for London to have a lease or other form of legal agreement giving them day-to-day control.

pdeaves

Established Member
The underlying (or should that be overlying!) land's freehold might be, but you would expect for TfL/Rail for London to have a lease or other form of legal agreement giving them day-to-day control.
I think Canary Wharf Group doesn't own any of the station but it has made some contributions for 'extras' (over and above the bare minimum for a working station).

Status
Not open for further replies.