• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the stubby platform at Sheffield for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattRobinson

Between platform 3 and platform 4 at Sheffield, there's a short bit of platform, just long enough to accommodate the front doorway of a unit. Does anyone know why? I have a few possible explanations, but they don't make much sense. Can anyone else shed any light on this?
y7usyme3.jpg

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
How long is the platform on the side you are standing?

I've certainly seen 2x 3-car 144 units OR 2x 2-car 158s stacked (on the 'first in, last out' principle rather than coupled) in those bays at various times. I think the stub is just an accident of history, though I'd also wondered how it came about.

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
I've certainly seen 2x 3-car 144 units and 2x 2-car 158s stacked (on the 'first in, last out' principle rather than coupled) in those bays at various times. I think the stub is just an accident of history, though I'd also wondered how it came about.
Not all in the same bay, surely? Even the longer of those two platforms (The one on which the photographer is standing) is only around 140 metres in length, max - A 3-car class 144 and a 2-car class 158 are both around 46 metres long.

At a guess I might suggest that the stub of platform allows fitters or other railway staff access to the trackside by way of the end ramp when an on-train component below platform level requires examination or attention. It may also be there to allow for easier maintenance of the over-roof, which ends where the stub of platform does, as shown by the supporting columns.

tsr

Established Member
It was built especially for trainspotters, but has since closed due to health and safety laws. The columns at the end had special mounts for flasks. :p

Yes, I am joking.

bronzeonion

Could have been for when loco hauled trains were used, where the secondman or whoever would uncouple the loco from the carriages could go and unhook the loco from the carriages without having to battle through crowds on the main platform to get there and the same to try and clamber back onto the platform.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not all in the same bay, surely? Even the longer of those two platforms (The one on which the photographer is standing) is only around 140 metres in length, max -

A 3-car class 144 and a 2-car class 158 are both around 46 metres long.

So, 46m+46m=92m. Shouldn't have any trouble fitting that in a 140m platform then. Unless you meant to say that the platform is 40metres, but I'm almost certain it's longer than that...

YorkshireBear

Established Member
So, 46m+46m=92m. Shouldn't have any trouble fitting that in a 140m platform then. Unless you meant to say that the platform is 40metres, but I'm almost certain it's longer than that...

He probably thought you meant 184m :) As in 2x158 and 2x144 in one platform.

w0033944

I'm pretty sure it's a remnant from the steam era when a single parcels van might be attached to a passenger service (especially early morning or late evening). The platform would be used to load/unload the van before attaching/after detaching to/from the train.

WatcherZero

Established Member
o3007-0000137.jpg

Looks to me a casualty of gauge alteration and platform widenings over the years, couldnt demolish it as its supporting the canopy.

Crossover

Established Member
I have seen platform 3A (the one with the Pacer in in the above pic) with a 2 car 158 and a (temporarily failed) 2 car 150, with a decent amount of room to spare. WatcherZero may well have a point, though I had just thought it was for crew to be able to get out either side :s

WatcherZero

Established Member
I would speculate platform lengths and clearances for the curved platforms were changed when the station was remodeled in 1972 to accept longer distance services?

May be reading the old maps wrong but looks like it was the extension of platform 2 that did it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Mystery deepens, perhaps it never was a platform. Photo from 1926 showing there was originally a over bridge access there. The base looks to be where that concrete patch remains and it appears to show that the platforms 3 and 4 have been lengthened a couple of meters towards the camera, also possibly explaining their S curve.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/...aerofilms-images/public/england/EPW015463.jpg

http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/gallery/d/17667-2/sheffield+midland+station+IMG0966.jpg

sprinterguy

Established Member
He probably thought you meant 184m :) As in 2x158 and 2x144 in one platform.
Indeed, that's what I was getting at. :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Mystery deepens, perhaps it never was a platform. Photo from 1926 showing there was originally a over bridge access there.
Precisely - I haven't been able to find any old photos that show that there were ever two pairs of bays where there is only one pair now as you originally suggested.

Last edited:

WatcherZero

Established Member
I was suggesting its former function was lost to platform realignments (remember pointing out it was supporting the canopy), and the photo evidence seems to suggest that all the platforms have indeed been lengthened on that side with the exception of 8 and platform widths altered to allow platform edge clearance further into the curve. The photo seems to point further that the space under the canopy was originally part of the concourse and the platforms ends were lengthened into it possibly in the 70's.

CallySleeper

Established Member
Would have a stab at a motorail platform for the Newton Abbot service but given that it's on the island platform and not near the main road...?

Would expect that such a platform would be linked to the present day P1, but it's a shout anyway...

gerryuk

May be totally wrong here, but is this the platform that had a serious train crash in the late 70s early 80s? I seem to remember from television pictures the front coach cantilevered and resting against the bridge above. If my memory is correct the train left Attercliffe station went into the steep incline tunnel only for the driver to find out that the brakes on the unit had failed and the train crashed into the buffers.
Back to the stubby bit, looks like a good safe place for staff to access the track to me. As there are no depots in Sheffield could this be a good place to access the track and put water into the units, do some routine light maintenance at night, etc?

Mugby

Established Member
May be totally wrong here, but is this the platform that had a serious train crash in the late 70s early 80s? I seem to remember from television pictures the front coach cantilevered and resting against the bridge above. If my memory is correct the train left Attercliffe station went into the steep incline tunnel only for the driver to find out that the brakes on the unit had failed and the train crashed into the buffers.

I remember that too. I believe the driver and guard were commended for getting all the passengers to brace themselves before the impact.

Regarding the short platform, I think it's there simply because of the wide area between the two roads. If it wasn't there, just a drop, then something would have to be in place to stop people falling over the edge. A railing could give way, especially if there was a surge of people against it or lots of people leaning/sitting on it. The short platform is just a safer alternative.

Oldrowley

As far back as I can remember this arrangement has been there and there has never been platform activity on the 'short' sides. Platforms 3 and 4 which form the outer 'legs' are quite lengthy and are in fact now known as 3,3A and 4, 4A to provide more platform accommodation, generally housing Pacers or two car dmu's on local services. The tracks merge towards the North end of the platforms before joining the main Northern end station exit lines. In the 1960's, there was a passenger or goods overbridge more or less at this spot and it may well be that what we see in the picture is the successor to a bridge support.

Oldrowley

sheff1

Established Member
The platforms seem very cluttered with equipment in those days.

Indeed, which is why using a mini platform to accommodate some of the clutter seems like a very sensible idea .... if, in fact, that is what is was for.

Boothby97

Established Member
As there are no depots in Sheffield could this be a good place to access the track and put water into the units, do some routine light maintenance at night, etc?

There is, when the you head towards Chesterfield/Dore & Totley there is a Northern maintenance shed known as Sheffield Shrewsbury Road

Status
Not open for further replies.