• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is this coach.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crompton Karl

While at the EKR on saturday i took this photo

IMG_1938.jpg

I have never seen this type of coach before on BR. It looked like some conversion of a Mk1 coach. Does anyone know what it is, and why it was built?

Karl :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
It was a Mk. 1 underframe rebuilt with a Layland National bus body in the 1980s, numbered RDB977091. I even once saw it in service on Cross Country. The idea of mass conversions/rebuilds didn't take off. Shame to see a unique one off prototype conversion in such a state, I've seen reports of it being for sale.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Leyland's 3rd and least sucessful attempt to stick National parts on a rail underframe (the others being oviously the Pacer and also the 155). I suppose the problem with this is that it didn't really have a market. The BR standard coaches were all built with long distance express working in mind, so for the times had very high standards. By the time this was converted, the Mk1s had been displaced off that sort of work by Mk2s and Mk3s, yet the sort of secondary workings it could have been suited to were starting to come into the hands of units. Rarther than an updated Mk1, it comes across as a loco hauled Sprinter. A far better solution to Mk1 re-bodying would have been something much higher quality that would have been able to work alongside existing Mk1s and early Mk2s on secondary express work as a stop-gap before the 158s took over on that sort of service.

TheSlash

Established Member
Nice to see somebody parked on the platform at Shepherds Well, i've got a good idea who's car that will be.

Bastiaan

This type of body, which was just a bus construction, should have been a low-cost alternative to the conventional coach body. The Rhätian Railways (RhB) in Switserland used it when they needed cheap coaches in their financially-less-succesfull days in the late eigties. The first series of 11 coaches (nrs. B 2261 - 2271) look very much like this Leyland-Mk1. The second and the third series (respectively nrs. B 2272 - 2273 and B 2417 - 2420) have a more Swiss-style body, but have still the same kind of construction.

2262.001.jpg

(www.polier.ch)

Muttley

I`m no expert on this but... aren`t the bogies off a late Mk2 coach?

And if so...there seems to be so little of the original Mk1 coach left that surely it must of been cheaper just to knock up some fresh underframes from scratch.

Anyway,as above with the comments- BL coudn`t build cars or lorries,why did they think they`d be good at trains.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
It's on B4 bogies which along with the Commonwealth were used to replace the original bogies on the Mk1s, giving better ride aswell as 100mph top speed. A lot of Mk1s were also withdrawn around that time and quite a few ended up being preserved, so many preserved Mk1s have the original bogies. The B4 was developed for the Mk2 coach, and fitted to all types of Mk2 (including EMUs), and varients were also fitted to later SR Slam Door EMUs. Whilst designed for 100mph, they are capable of 110mph with additional maintenance (particularly wheel profile), and are one of the best riding bogies on any UK train, and up to certain speeds will actually outperform the BT10 (as fitted to Mk3s).

Crompton Karl

What surprises me is that it was built with normal slam doors and not plug or sliding doors, especially as by the time this coach was released most of the stock being released has at least sliding doors.

Karl :)

Coxster

Established Member
Quote from the East kent Railway website:

Leyland Prototype No. RDB977091
Built: Workington, 1982.
History: Underframe formerly of Mk.I BCK No.21234 (body now scrapped). Worked in a formation with Mk.Is between Brighton and Manchester.
Owned by: Nene Valley Railway (on loan to EKR).
Status: Currently not in service and used as overflow buffet. Awaiting full restoration and return to service.

Jonfun

Established Member
It's a mekkano kit! Which in other words, is a nodding donkey. But welded together with it's ends chopped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.