• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is this for? (NB not another datum plate question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
See attached photo (sorry about the quality - crop from a phone pic.). The object of curiosity is a large shaft or circular manhole (stop sniggering at the back there) with rungs built in which has appeared at the end of the rebuilt platforms 3 and 4 at Glasgow Queen Street. It seems to go down a fair depth. Is it for drainage or cable duct inspection perhaps? I've been lurking around there quite a lot and didn't notice the early stages of this happening.

Attachments

• IMG_8475.jpg
    IMG_8475.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
It seems to go down a fair depth. Is it for drainage or cable duct inspection perhaps?
Definitely for access to a subterranean chamber, my guess would be drainage as I can't see why cable ducts would need to be that deep.

TheEdge

Established Member
Its a datum plate showing the distance from Newhaven Marine.

I'll show myself out...

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Its a datum plate showing the distance from Newhaven Marine.

I'll show myself out...

Ridiculous suggestion.

It's an access point to the tunnel below, where 442s are being hooked up to Class 68s.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
is it a new high capacity flange greaser?

hang on! I've got it it is the budget access to the low level station! The escalators got cut due to cost savings

Last edited:

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
hang on! I've got it it is the budget access to the low level station! The escalators got cut due to cost savings

If you compare the original EGIP proposals with what's actually happening that suggestion seems less far fetched than at first might appear. :(

Carntyne

It's not access to Low Level, too far north, think it's for drainage though.

tsr

Established Member
It's the last-resort facility for delay attribution. All minutes are dropped to the bottom, swirled around and then allocated by a magic octopus.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Could it actually *be* something to do with the tunnels under it?

What orientation is the above image with regards to the orientation of the tunnel system?

Carntyne

Could it actually *be* something to do with the tunnels under it?

What orientation is the above image with regards to the orientation of the tunnel system?

There are no railway tunnels underneath it. There is a post office tunnel east of the cutting, but it's fairly deep (beyond Low Level and the subway) but it's not for that. Has it's own lift shaft & access on Cathedral Street

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
[shameless plug] You can also see it for a few seconds from another angle at about 01:25 in the latest video update. [/shameless plug]

Didn't notice it at the time of filming, it was only when I was looking straight down at it from the Buchanan Galleries carpark link later on that I became aware of it.
It was probably the white rabbit that gave it away, though I didn't actually hear it saying `Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be late!’ :)

Domh245

Established Member
Are you sure it's not for the Strategic Steam Reserve?

Don't be daft - the SSR is located in Box Hill. That said, it is feasible that in the run up to the Scottish Independence referendum, Sturgeon ordered a Scottish SSR (SSSR) to be assembled.

EDIT: I do of course mean Box Tunnel, not Box Hill!

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Don't be daft - the SSR is located in Box Hill. That said, it is feasible that in the run up to the Scottish Independence referendum, Sturgeon ordered a Scottish SSR (SSSR) to be assembled.
Wouldn't that be the Underground Strategic Steam Reserve (USSR), comrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.