• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is this near Ince?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
I noticed two signs on the embankment between Ince and Hindley and I don't know what they are.

Location: Manchester bound side alongside Hitchen Foods complex.
Description:
1) triangle on a post. All looks to be made out of concrete.
2) T written on a green background facing away from track next to 1 on a metal pole.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
Triangle on a post warned of unworked catch points. A later version was a triangle with an S inside it. Often you'll see these signs in place long after the points were removed.

MadMac

Triangle on a post warned of unworked catch points. A later version was a triangle with an S inside it. Often you'll see these signs in place long after the points were removed.
A relatively recent cab video of the Edinburgh South Suburban line showed an “AWB” (Apply Wagon Brakes) sign. I think unfitted trains last ran in the 80s.....

Gathursty

Established Member
Yes. Green background was dayglo. It must have turn in the wind away from the track and it was next to 1 as in 1) the triangular catch point sign.

Highlandspring

Established Member
A relatively recent cab video of the Edinburgh South Suburban line showed an “AWB” (Apply Wagon Brakes) sign. I think unfitted trains last ran in the 80s.....

There are quite a few AWB signs still hanging on around the newtork.

Llama

Established Member
That T board is deliberately facing away from the line.

There are often temporary speed restrictions on the stretch through Ince and up towards Hindley in the summers due to the risk of high rail temperatures on the stretches with steel sleepers (more risk of track buckling/'distorted rails').

The other boards (edit, I should say other associated boards to do with the TSR - the warning and commencement boards) are totally removed but that T board has been there for years, obviously it just gets turned if it's required but it's not actually been used for a few years. IIRC it'd been a differential TSR (30 over 60) when it was actually imposed. In the high temperatures on the hottest days in 2018 & 19 there were track workers monitoring the rail temperatures on the embankment where the sun is uninterrupted rather than imposing the TSR so it would seem tactics have changed.

A T board is a termination indicator which denotes the end of an emergency or temporary speed restriction, normal published line speed applies after the T board.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.