• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is this please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDYS

This box has just appeared north of Chesterfield on the Down Main. Can anyone tell me what it is please?

Andy S

[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/66737297@N06/25903049303/in/dateposted-public*********[/url]

Sorry, don't know how to put a little picture here!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
This box has just appeared north of Chesterfield on the Down Main. Can anyone tell me what it is please?
Do you mean the flange greaser or the wheel impact load sensor?

Edit: See below.

Last edited:

ANDYS

Dhassell,

that was quick. I wondered the same as the same kind of cables are on the crossovers which are just under the bridge.

NajaB

Nearly as quick. Not the flange greaser. That has been there for years and I did not even consider that when I posted the picture. So what does a wheel impact load sensor do, or why has it appeared?

Andy

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Andy S

[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/66737297@N06/25903049303/in/dateposted-public*********[/url]

Sorry, don't know how to put a little picture here![/QUOTE]

which bit ?

ComUtoR

Established Member
I thought it was a greaser :/

They are both greasers. The old one further down the track and the new version with the solar panel in the foreground.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Does the phrase 'Friction Management' in small lettering underneath the 'LBFoster' offer any sort of clue? :lol:

najaB

Veteran Member
Does the phrase 'Friction Management' in small lettering underneath the 'LBFoster' offer any sort of clue? :lol:
Indeed it does - I hadn't zoomed in on the image initially, just saw LB Foster and thought WILD. Didn't take long to realise I was being thick though, which is a change. :)

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
And the one behind is Noo-noo from the Teletubbies. :lol:

Attachments

• Noo-noo.jpg
    Noo-noo.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 99

edwin_m

Veteran Member
You can examine similar (possibly identical) ones to both of those up close at Manchester Piccadilly platform 14.

dviner

Why would you have a flange greaser on what appears to be a very straight bit of track? Or does it start to get very curvy just out of shot?

najaB

Veteran Member
Why would you have a flange greaser on what appears to be a very straight bit of track? Or does it start to get very curvy just out of shot?
There's a junction a bit north of Chesterfield, so maybe it's because of that?

dviner

There's a junction a bit north of Chesterfield, so maybe it's because of that?

I still would have thought the start of the curve should be visible in the picture of the greaser, I mean - it might start to be scraped off before it's needed.

ANDYS

dviner

looking north from the footbridge, where I took the shot, the line curves very gently to the left. This shot shows all four lines here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66737297@N06/26247857516/in/album-72157663482217545/

The greaser is on the far left line (Down Main) just off the bottom left of the photo.

This photo is taken from the next bridge along looking south (hence the bad sun). The last tanks are about in line with the footbridge. As you can see, there is a junction (Chesterfield North) but I do not think this would affect anything.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66737297@N06/25788167415/in/album-72157663482217545/

Looking north from this same road bridge the line has a gentle 'S' bend before the lines split and the two Barrow Hill lines head off eastwards and the 2 main's go NW towards Sheffield as in this photo:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66737297@N06/25487459650/in/album-72157663482217545/

Andy S

Last edited:

Trog

Established Member
It used to be traditional to site the old type lubricators like the one in the background of the photo at 15mm of cant. If that did not work so there was a smear of grease on the side of the rail head through the curve you were trying to protect, you then tried moving the greaser a bit to see if that worked better. The new type spread the grease much further so they are sometimes placed back before the curve at a safer or more convenient point for refilling.

Last edited:

dviner

Fair enough - does get curvy and the grease lasts longer.. Thanks, Andy & Trog.

Status
Not open for further replies.