• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is/was the not-platform used for at Lime St?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davelew99

Passed through Lime St again yesterday, as i do every wednesday and while i was waiting i started wondering what the platform between 6 and 7 is for.

There is track there, but i think it has been isolated and nothing can actually run onto it now. On the ground the faded paint still says 'police vehicles only' - but i can't see how this area ever had road access.

Anyone shed any light?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pumbaa

Established Member
I think during days of Kettle etc, it was a goods area, and someone once said livestock too. There's a few sites online with pictures and details.

Yew

Established Member
Maybe it's the police 37 from the old intercity adverts?

pemma

Veteran Member
Is that the one that used to have a road round to it to allow mail to be offloaded from the mail train on to vans?

Established Member
Platform 6 and 3 quarters at Lime Street? Can we just embed Ringo Starr into the brick wall instead of a luggage trolley? Preferably with the former editor of the Sun? ;)

507 001

Established Member
I ws always under the impression that it was just a release road, similar to those inbetween 1&2, 3&4 and 5&6 etc?

driver9000

Established Member
Officially known as Siding E. The others are A,B and D. They were used to hold locos and units but they didn't have the facility for a loco to run round while the stock remained in the platform. There is a shunting neck in the tunnel to enable a loco to stand there before dropping down onto coaches. I imagine the incoming engine was shunt released after arrival. The platform sidings are all disconnected now.

I have always thought it was an old parcels bay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.