What is/was the not-platform used for at Lime St?

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by davelew99, 3 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davelew99

davelew99 Member

Passed through Lime St again yesterday, as i do every wednesday and while i was waiting i started wondering what the platform between 6 and 7 is for.

There is track there, but i think it has been isolated and nothing can actually run onto it now. On the ground the faded paint still says 'police vehicles only' - but i can't see how this area ever had road access.

Anyone shed any light?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Pumbaa

Pumbaa Established Member

I think during days of Kettle etc, it was a goods area, and someone once said livestock too. There's a few sites online with pictures and details.

4. Yew

Yew Established Member

Maybe it's the police 37 from the old intercity adverts?

5. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

Is that the one that used to have a road round to it to allow mail to be offloaded from the mail train on to vans?

6. 185

185 Established Member

Platform 6 and 3 quarters at Lime Street? Can we just embed Ringo Starr into the brick wall instead of a luggage trolley? Preferably with the former editor of the Sun? ;)

7. 507 001

507 001 Established Member

I ws always under the impression that it was just a release road, similar to those inbetween 1&2, 3&4 and 5&6 etc?

8. driver9000

driver9000 Established Member

Officially known as Siding E. The others are A,B and D. They were used to hold locos and units but they didn't have the facility for a loco to run round while the stock remained in the platform. There is a shunting neck in the tunnel to enable a loco to stand there before dropping down onto coaches. I imagine the incoming engine was shunt released after arrival. The platform sidings are all disconnected now.

I have always thought it was an old parcels bay.

Last edited: 7 Nov 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.