• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is your controversial railway opinion/idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

randyrippley

Established Member
Declare Northern bankrupt and close it, making the staff redundant with just statutory redundancy pay, so avoiding TUPE considerations.
Then set up a new directly controlled business to run the services and rehire the staff at the new terms that Northern want to impose. Replace those who refuse to return.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
Although many people suggest that we shouldn't be building HS2 no one has come up with a viable alternative, they tend to suggest:
- reopening a route that never got closed at the southern end and is busy with trains
- lengthening existing trains so that they wouldn't be able to run to certain stations
- widening the WCML by adding in a pair of extra tracks through some very built up cities

Until such time as a viable alternative is suggested all suggestions for cancelling HS2 should be disregarded.

Absolutely agree. The thing that winds me up is people constantly banging on about re-opening the Great Central, when (a) it doesn't solve the approach to London, (b) much of the route has been obliterated in urban areas, and rebuilding it would be just as complex as starting from scratch, (c) it followed a poor route away from major cities anyway and (d) IT BLOODY WELL WASN'T BUILT TO CONTINENTAL LOADING GAUGE, so stop peddling that myth!

pompeyfan

Established Member
Staff should be able to speak to passengers in the same tone/manner that the passenger engages with staff, if someone is polite and respectful but firm then they deserve to be helped accordingly, but snarling and spitting and f’ing and jeffing then staff should be able to respond in the same way without being called up on it.

Krisj159

Make every passenger who compares our railways with European ones pay a supplement and book a seat in advance the way you have to on most high speed European trains.

Krisj159

To the passengers who say there are no seats.....give me £50 for every seat I find you (they don't move to the rear/front of the train depending on direction of travel and won't ask people to move bags/coats etc.)

Krisj159

Have one big company to run the trains and maintain the lines. Have enough staff on standby and decentralise the control centres. Have enough stock to run relief trains or strengthen them. Let trains wait to make connections without penalties. Run right time trains in front of late trains instead of booked order thereby making two late trains. Build small buildings by the side of the track where signal(wo)men pull levers and you don't get the breakdowns and delays that we do now. I don't know....maybe we could call this company 'British Railways'. (Always liked that name rather than BR.)

B&I

Established Member
For my next trick, I will.annoy both sides of the HS2 debate..... at the same time!!!!!

The concept of building new mainlines to relieve capacity and speed up services ia sound.

The specific plan for HS2 is flawed, thanks to the obsession with providing far more capacity than is needed between a select few points. It is unlikely to address inter-regional imbalances, in the absence of any broader policy addressing this, and is likely to heighten intra-regional imbalances (with a knock-on effect of increasing strain on transport infrastructure round tge cities served). It is ludicrously and needlessly expensive.

A better plan would be to build a series of bypass lines round existing capacity blackspots - a better-aligned new London-Birmingham mainline,.with spurs to the WCML north, would form part of this, but so would a new line from Liverpool to Manchester and across the Pennines, some sort of bypass around the area between Piccadilly and Stockport, some sort of solution for central Leeds etc.

Much more emphasis should also be given to developing local transport around the regional cities, in tandem with this. Perhaps we should be questionning whether it is time to reduce economic concentration in London, instead of pouring yet more money into its infrastructure.

Last edited:

Krisj159

Abolish seat reservations and first class. Seating should be on a first come first served basis with basic manners leading to the young giving up their seats for the old/infirm etc
We've not had ressies for years down 'ere on SWT/SWR. Parents should sit their children on their lap the way we used to when I was little many, many, moons ago. Basic manners nowadays - that's a rarity I'm afraid.

js1000

- Let train companies decide routes - not the DfT through TSR routes.
- Allow companies to operate franchise for longer (i.e. 15 years instead of 7/8) if they make a substantial rolling stock order (>50% of the fleet to be new build) at the start of the franchise.

Krisj159

- Let train companies decide routes - not the DfT through TSR routes.
- Allow companies to operate franchise for longer (i.e. 15 years instead of 7/8) if they make a substantial rolling stock order (>50% of the fleet to be new build) at the start of the franchise.
Yes DaFT took away the Paignton and Plymouth from us. Used to love the Paignton turns from Salisbury.

randyrippley

Established Member
Yes DaFT took away the Paignton and Plymouth from us. Used to love the Paignton turns from Salisbury.
Some of the Waterloo-Exeters ran to Paignton simply to get the coaches to Newton Abbott for servicing. It was better to run a service to Paignton then back to the depot, than ECS through the busy Dawlish section

Krisj159

Some of the Waterloo-Exeters ran to Paignton simply to get the coaches to Newton Abbott for servicing. It was better to run a service to Paignton then back to the depot, than ECS through the busy Dawlish section
Huh!? I'm talking about 159s which were always serviced at Salisbury.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
That "because its hard" or "its always been this way" are not valid excuses when services levels are not good enough.

Last edited:

Krisj159

thought you meant during class 33 days, the coaches then were maintained at Newton Abbott.
Nope - when SWT were awarded the franchise last time and we went to an hourly service to Exeter. I didn't work the last Paignton train but I was lucky enough to work the last one that Saturday morning - 6 car hybrid 159s.

squizzler

Established Member
A better plan [than HS2] would be to build a series of bypass lines round existing capacity blackspots - a better-aligned new London-Birmingham mainline with spurs to the WCML north, would form part of this,
that'll be HS2 then
... but so would a new line from Liverpool to Manchester and across the Pennines, some sort of bypass around the area between Piccadilly and Stockport, some sort of solution for central Leeds etc.
...and that would be Northern Powerhouse Rail!

B&I

Established Member
that'll be HS2 then
...and that would be Northern Powerhouse Rail!

As I said, I agree with the basic concepts, not the planned execution, assuming 'Northern Powerhouse Rail' is ever built, a very, very big assumption. And anyone who uses the phrase 'Northern Powerhouse', whether or not followed by 'Rail', without inverted commas, should be made to go and stand in the corner, and think about what they've done

randyrippley

Established Member
Maximise efficient use of the Pendolinos by terminating northbound services at Lancaster (or Carnforth), freeing them up for services entirely within England. All WCML services to Glasgow to be EMUs from Liverpool / Manchester.

BR Boy 125

No debates allowed, just a straightforward statement of what you think about something railway-related, that is probably not widely shared by others.
Here's mine:

The HST prototype is better looking than the production version.
The UK should renationalised the rail system simply because the liveries look nicer.

Jamm

Rail should be really for semi-long distance transportation.

Local stations within major cities should be closed down and replaced with a parallel tram/guided busway service that goes directly into areas of high population instead of next to it like most rail stations are usually located.

Via Bank

Rail should be really for semi-long distance transportation.

Local stations within major cities should be closed down and replaced with a parallel tram/guided busway service that goes directly into areas of high population instead of next to it like most rail stations are usually located.

OK. Here's something controversial.

If a former railway line has since been converted to a footpath or cycleway, any project to re-open the railway line should retain the footpath/cycleway and preferably upgrade it. A high-quality walking and cycle route that can be used 24/7 will do much more good for society as a whole than an infrequent passenger-only railway line, by giving people a sustainable alternative to driving for local journeys that's free at the point of use.

B&I

Established Member
Anyone who argues that a bus is a superior method of transport to a train over any route which has an operating rail line and accessible stations should be banned from the said railway line for a year, and required to report back at the end of it about their experiences

Cambus731

Ticket Office work is an extremely difficult and stressful job and should be more widely acknowledged as such.
And all booking clerks should earn at least £18 ph

cactustwirly

Established Member
Make every passenger who compares our railways with European ones pay a supplement and book a seat in advance the way you have to on most high speed European trains.

We don't have any high speed trains yet... (except HS1)

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Any 1 or 2 car diesel trains on routes less than 5 miles in duration (10 mile round trip maximum) should be replaced by either class 230s or extended length class 139s (I.e. made into minimum 2 car), with the Cardiff Valleys first to convert.

All trains operating on the national rail network with a route journey time of more than 15 minutes (one way) should have a food vending machine as minimum and an accessible toilet.

Status
Not open for further replies.